+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A question about improving support

Re: A question about improving support

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Is having 3000 extra in during the PL season worth having an extra 4,000 seats empty for every season outside of the PL? Not for me !
    Absolutely not

We are a laughing stock

I disagree it was worth it, not a price worth paying for the occasional PL campaign to fit an extra 3000 fans in - which most weeks there wasn't - average boosted by games against the top 6 and sell out away ends

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolutely not

We are a laughing stock
    Agreed !

We are a laughing stock
    You reckon clubs around the UK are laughing at our stadium? Really? What have you been smoking today?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You reckon clubs around the UK are laughing at our stadium? Really? What have you been smoking today?
    You look at the forums of other clubs and the away days photos and Cardiff City get the piss taken out of them for poor home and away support and the empty seats in our ground, it looks terrible

And they are right

If Cardiff City and the supporters groups were NOT concerned about the level of attendance both home and away why do you think it's been brought up at meetings held between CCFC and the fans ?

You are in complete denial and always have been on this matter

If we didn’t have the extra seats, we may have lost the Wales games being held here

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just shows how disconnected the club is, not just from the city in it’s in, but it’s own fan base. You don’t have to switch the ends either, just move the families up to the red and let singing/standing happen in the Ninian…as for transport don’t worry about about it, the Metro is coming, whatever that means….the WAG will have it nicely sorted.
    Move us over to the canton by all means but don’t put us up in the red area. You can’t say get the kids are the future of the club then put us up in the shittest part

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Move us over to the canton by all means but don’t put us up in the red area. You can’t say get the kids are the future of the club then put us up in the shittest part
    The views are good.
    Also it would hide the red!

You look at the forums of other clubs and the away days photos and Cardiff City get the piss taken out of them for poor home and away support and the empty seats in our ground, it looks terrible

And they are right

If Cardiff City and the supporters groups were NOT concerned about the level of attendance both home and away why do you think it's been brought up at meetings held between CCFC and the fans ?

Who cares what fans of other clubs supposedly think? I doubt fans of other clubs are particularly bothered about our attendances, it's hardly as if we're the only Championship club that doesn't fill their ground either.

Every club wants more fans and what was a good thread discussing potential ways to improve the support has been turned into your regular crap about attendance numbers, how small we are as a club, how we're a laughing stock etc etc. It's boring.

The extra capacity is good for internationals and would be used regularly if we strung some wins together. If Tan had not built to anticipate success he would have been pilloried for that.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Who cares what fans of other clubs supposedly think? I doubt fans of other clubs are particularly bothered about our attendances, it's hardly as if we're the only Championship club that doesn't fill their ground either.

Every club wants more fans and what was a good thread discussing potential ways to improve the support has been turned into your regular crap about attendance numbers, how small we are as a club, how we're a laughing stock etc etc. It's boring.
    Same to you

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I regularly go through other teams attendances and laugh at them to myself, or share the news with like minded people. You should try it,

I've been slowly reading through the posts on this thread, and trying to get some thoughts together on the subject.
    If the club wants to improve attendance, then there aren't really that many ways to go about it. The most obvious way is to have or build an attractive footballing side, that scores goals, and wins games. (I told you it was obvious). That would in theory move us up the table, and hopefully we would achieve promotion. More people would come to watch the good football, the team winning games, and then you'd also have the 'extra' people coming along to watch the big Premier sides. If we could stay in the Premier, then that swell would be sustained, and our average gates would rise. All good so far, and all pretty obvious to most people.
    If they want to increase crowds without the success, then that's a different thing. Some suggestions might be cheap tickets for the Grange End family stand, or handing out tickets to schools or local football clubs. Another suggestion might be cut ticket prices, but how do you do that without upsetting all the season ticket holders? Well, you could do it once - perhaps charge £5 a ticket for a single game, once a season. Next time Rotherham are in town, perhaps.
    You can tempt people in once or twice, with cheap tickets and the like. But if the football is poor, then they won't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I regularly go through other teams attendances and laugh at them to myself, or share the news with like minded people. You should try it,
    What would you say is the reason for these low attendance in these bigger grounds ? ? IMHO it might be because locals support other teams, Liverpool & Man City are a very popular teams I hear

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The extra capacity is good for internationals and would be used regularly if we strung some wins together. If Tan had not built to anticipate success he would have been pilloried for that.
    Foolish Foolish man, build it and they will come ( occasionally ) in what world are we when people are moaning about a stand being closed ( its not eating or drinking anything as my old mum used to say ) when not needed but being ready to go when the demand requires, its mental

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    The views are good.
    Also it would hide the red!
    Last time I was up there Swansea battered us 0-4
    I don’t ever want to go back. We’d look even more sparse up there too. Imagine a night game we’d look like an anti social leper colony.

We will be the talk of other clubs

The stadium expansion was part of the deal to bring the Champions League Final and Super Cup to Cardiff.
    Without it there'd have been 5k fewer fans attending Wales matches for the past few years.
    I'd rather have 5000 extra seats at the stadium, than have to move Wales games to the Principality to accommodate the fans who want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    What would you say is the reason for these low attendance in these bigger grounds ? ? IMHO it might be because locals support other teams, Liverpool & Man City are a very popular teams I hear
    Yup. Thing is, the majority of people who like football enjoy watching a game on TV, and plenty of them shout for one of the big clubs, that's probably as far as their football supporting life goes. To criticise them for not following their local club is just bonkers, they've probably never been interested. It's not like they've jumped ship, they were never on the ship to start with. They might come along if City are in the premier league, So what, who gives a flying ****

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup. Thing is, the majority of people who like football enjoy watching a game on TV, and plenty of them shout for one of the big clubs, that's probably as far as their football supporting life goes. To criticise them for not following their local club is just bonkers, they've probably never been interested. It's not like they've jumped ship, they were never on the ship to start with. They might come along if City are in the premier league, So what, who gives a flying ****
    Well clearly the clubs accountant is worried

Cardiff City's problem for as long as its been a club is the inability to attract big crowds on a regular basis

If people don't care or want to deny it then go ahead but we have spent money we didn't have through gate income on wages under hammam and that nearly buried us

It most certainly matters that our crowds are in need of improvement

And they are right

So what do you want? A 20,000 seater stadium that is then limited in what it can earn for the club when we can have big crowds? A 20,000 seater stadium that the FAW wouldn't be interested in using, again, bringing in more money for the club?

This season our home crowds have increased for the second successive season, even if you take out the Swansea attendance. Given how crap we've been for a few seasons, it's a genuine suprise to see bigger crowds. It's been very rare in our history for a Cardiff side that has struggled at the foot of the table to gain support. It might be worth pointing out that we're getting bigger crowds this season than when we were promoted under Warnock. I don't see a CONCERN about levels of attendance, more questions on how to BUILD it. The two things are very different.

The club, and Vincent Tan's aim, is to get to the Premier League and, one day, hopefully be a side that plays there year in, year out. We know our crowd would continue to grow if we could stay there for a few seasons. It makes sense to have a stadium that can support good crowds in the top division. I couldn't give a rat's arse what others think if our crowds are low in the Championship. It shows we've been shit. When we've been pushing for promotion, our crowds have always been bigger.

Of course, you don't like the sound of that - the lure of the Premier League bringing people into the ground, spending money etc, even though you happily watch Match of the Day and moan like feck about it on a weekly basis. You'd be happy with plucky old little Cardiff City. So glad you're not in charge of the club. We'd get nowhere.

So what do you want? A 20,000 seater stadium that is then limited in what it can earn for the club when we can have big crowds? A 20,000 seater stadium that the FAW wouldn't be interested in using, again, bringing in more money for the club?

This season our home crowds have increased for the second successive season, even if you take out the Swansea attendance. Given how crap we've been for a few seasons, it's a genuine suprise to see bigger crowds. It's been very rare in our history for a Cardiff side that has struggled at the foot of the table to gain support. It might be worth pointing out that we're getting bigger crowds this season than when we were promoted under Warnock. I don't see a CONCERN about levels of attendance, more questions on how to BUILD it. The two things are very different.

The club, and Vincent Tan's aim, is to get to the Premier League and, one day, hopefully be a side that plays there year in, year out. We know our crowd would continue to grow if we could stay there for a few seasons. It makes sense to have a stadium that can support good crowds in the top division. I couldn't give a rat's arse what others think if our crowds are low in the Championship. It shows we've been shit. When we've been pushing for promotion, our crowds have always been bigger.

Of course, you don't like the sound of that - the lure of the Premier League bringing people into the ground, spending money etc, even though you happily watch Match of the Day and moan like feck about it on a weekly basis. You'd be happy with plucky old little Cardiff City. So glad you're not in charge of the club. We'd get nowhere.
    That's all very romantic but we had a crowd of 19500 on Saturday with 1500 visiting fans

If you are not concerned about that level of support that's up to you but the club are

And , of course , better gates improve the atmosphere for us and for the players

There's a thread about Stoke City on here , who have offered free away travel to their fans for it appears 10 seasons ?

Well if Corky wants to bring that up at a meeting with the club I am sure that will help

That's all very romantic but we had a crowd of 19500 on Saturday with 1500 visiting fans

If you are not concerned about that level of support that's up to you but the club are

And , of course , better gates improve the atmosphere for us and for the players
    I'll repeat myself. I don't think there's any concern, it's more thinking about how to build on what we have. Two very different things. Again, our crowds this season are better than when we were promoted under Warnock and significantly better than they were under Slade. If we were to somehow add another thousand to our average gate this season, we'd be looking at crowds roughly as good as we've ever had in the Championship at the current ground. Crowds are on the up, makes sense to try and build on that.

You're using the word "concerned" wrongly.

I'll repeat myself. I don't think there's any concern, it's more thinking about how to build on what we have. Two very different things. Again, our crowds this season are better than when we were promoted under Warnock and significantly better than they were under Slade. If we were to somehow add another thousand to our average gate this season, we'd be looking at crowds roughly as good as we've ever had in the Championship at the current ground. Crowds are on the up, makes sense to try and build on that.

You're using the word "concerned" wrongly.
    You don't think the club and those at the meeting are concerned about our support ?

Well you should write to them all and tell them to stop talking about it then

You don't think the club and those at the meeting are concerned about our support ?

Well you should write to them all and tell them to stop talking about it then
    Because they are talking about ways of improving support doesn't mean there's widespread concern.

One choir I run often talks about how we can increase membership, but that doesn't mean we're concerned with numbers.