+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ben Davies

Ben Davies

Wales Bales finally getting his wish and he’s playing midfield

Not quite in a double pivot with Ampadu, more of an inverted full back / left midfield hybrid but maybe Page was reading this forum after all.

Re: Ben Davies

He's just scored as well

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wales Bales finally getting his wish and he’s playing midfield

Not quite in a double pivot with Ampadu, more of an inverted full back / left midfield hybrid but maybe Page was reading this forum after all.
    Mr H, any chance of an interpretation of your last paragraph for an out of touch dinosaur ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Mr H, any chance of an interpretation of your last paragraph for an out of touch dinosaur ?
    Sure. Pivot is just bollocks speak for a defensive, sitting midfielder for those of us who are a bit older. Double pivot is two sitters in front of the defence.

Inverted / hybrid fullback is when the full back steps into midfield and plays further forward than the rest of the defence and also plays a bit further infield than an orthodox full back. Extra man in midfield when on the offensive.

It’s fairly new. Pep was doing it last season and now Klopp has started doing it with Alexander Arnold.

Like a sort of wing back but not out wide then

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Like a sort of wing back but not out wide then
    Yes and no

Sure. Pivot is just bollocks speak for a defensive, sitting midfielder for those of us who are a bit older. Double pivot is two sitters in front of the defence.

Inverted / hybrid fullback is when the full back steps into midfield and plays further forward than the rest of the defence and also plays a bit further infield than an orthodox full back. Extra man in midfield when on the offensive.

It’s fairly new. Pep was doing it last season and now Klopp has started doing it with Alexander Arnold.
    Got it (I think !). And thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Got it (I think !). And thanks.
    I am still confused

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am still confused
    It’s mostly to do with whether a team has the ball or not. Generally when in possession they will be more like a midfielder- overloading the players in the middle, giving more pass options etc. when defending they are (generally) much more like a tradition fullback.

good descriptions, I'm pretty sure that the term "double pivot" is not even that new, I'm sure I can recall some of the successful Wenger arsenal teams using that term, and that's a good few years ago now.