+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No Campaign wins Aborigine Rights Vote In Australia

No Campaign wins Aborigine Rights Vote In Australia

Backed by the Conservative Right

That's a surprise

A man of Italian origin who voted in favour of greater aborigine rights and representation said in his opinion Australia was a country with many bigots and the vote didn't surprise him at all

The Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith is a great film with dire warnings if you can find it online

Re: No Campaign wins Aborigine Rights Vote In Australia

They’ve spent decades mistreating them. They’re not going to admit their mistakes and change their mindset now.

people voting to decide an outcome , that's why we need to be fascist

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    Using the Royal we there are you?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Using the Royal we there are you?
    Come on, the OP was ludicrous. It's actually comical how he can squeeze a party political point from practically everything.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Come on, the OP was ludicrous. It's actually comical how he can squeeze a party political point from practically everything.
    It's actually more ludicrous and concerning that Australia made a referendum out of this. Constitutional rights should not be subject to a plebiscite; governments should ensure de facto equal rights to all it's citizens without popular input.

If you don't think that Australia is inherently a racist country with a huge right wing vote then go and have a bite to eat

This was a chance yet again for it to move forward

It's all sunshine and happy times on the surface though

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It's actually more ludicrous and concerning that Australia made a referendum out of this. Constitutional rights should not be subject to a plebiscite; governments should ensure de facto equal rights to all it's citizens without popular input.
    Equal rights do exist for all don't they?

I think that's the point. This would have created something different and proved to be pretty divisive.

Recordings of hate crimes increased during the campaign from what I've read.

Identity politics like this nearly always creates more divisions than it solves.

That is not to say there are gaping inequalities in Australia, as there are. But my mates who live there didn't see how this solved anything and I'm inclined to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If you don't think that Australia is inherently a racist country with a huge right wing vote then go and have a bite to eat

This was a chance yet again for it to move forward

It's all sunshine and happy times on the surface though
    15 years, approaching 40,000 posts, and you've never thought voice your concerns before ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I think that's the point. This would have created something different and proved to be pretty divisive.

Identity politics like this nearly always creates more divisions than it solves.

That is not to say there are gaping inequalities in Australia, as there are. But my mates who live there didn't see how this solved anything and I'm inclined to agree.

Formally and legally equal rights for all - but in practice that isn't the experience for many.

https://theconversation.com/racism-i...op-this-179769

The legacy of institutional racism against indigenous people and the long period of the White Australia Policy will last for more generations.

The referendum campaign does appear to have been divisive - but that doesn't mean the proposal was wrong, and sometimes it helps (in the long term) for the divisions to be exposed. The idea of a consultative role for indigenous people in the constitution is a watered down version of what has worked well in New Zealand for a long time.

I was in Australia twice in recent years and was very struck by the way many Australians (especially the young) have adopted a respectful references to First Nation people and tribal groups. It is strongest in the tourism and heritage sectors - and although it sounds scripted it also sounds genuine. There are similar conventions in New Zealand and South Africa. Some progress.

15 years, approaching 40,000 posts, and you've never thought voice your concerns before ?
    Well I mentioned it within this post as you clearly don't think it is of concern or that in your view as a white person living over here , that it isn't

Of course you would

I mean it's not as if you are aborigine is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    White , conservative people voting not to give the indigenous community more rights ?

Well that's a surprise 😲

Of course you would

I mean it's not as if you are aborigine is it ?
    I didn't realise you were.

I didn't realise you were.
    I am not but I find it absolutely laughable that a white conservative voter from here can say he's got mates over in Australia who are certainly not going to be indigenous aborigine people and they think its divisive and so does he

Sit down and behave downtrodden people we know what's best for you !

Identity politics ff sake , get out of here

I am not but I find it absolutely laughable that a white conservative voter from here can say he's got mates over in Australia who are certainly not going to be indigenous aborigine people and they think its divisive and so does he

Sit down and behave downtrodden people we know what's best for you !

Identity politics ff sake , get out of here
    All anyone needs to do to realise why it was divisive is to read your post above

Your intolerance for anyone else's view is incredible.

Australia just voted against it. Stop pretending to know more about it than them.

All anyone needs to do to realise why it was divisive is to read your post above

Australia just voted against it. Stop pretending to know more about it than them.
    You are a joker

You complain about the politicalisation of posts yet as sure as night follows day You ALWAYS come in with your alt right view

Nuance my arse , if you were around when Thatcher was propping up south africa you would have been right behind her

Give a country where the indigenous population has been persecuted , had their land stolen and displaced by white European immigrants and give those immigrants the vote and guess what the outcome would be ?

Especially with people like you cheering them on

The interview on the TV by an Australian of Italian heritage who spoke of the racism he and others faced and led him to say Australia was a racist country , especially against the aborigines is what resonates not your quasi libertarian right wing nonsense

He tried to speak but was swamped by the Barby q set

I think you need to re-read what I wrote and then read the absolute rants you've just posted.

The two leaders of the No campaign are indigenous Australians. You are demonstrating perfectly why it was all divisive. You aren't listening to the points at all.

They’re intolerant of tolerance, as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    They’re intolerant of tolerance, as you are.
    Hardly.

Well I mentioned it within this post as you clearly don't think it is of concern or that in your view as a white person living over here , that it isn't
    I can only manage a limited number of 'causes' at any one time - currently it's up to around 15 and no room for any more sadly..