Thread: Interviews With A Few Docks Characters

Interviews With A Few Docks Characters

Re: Interviews With A Few Docks Characters

Enjoyed that Sludge 👍

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Good to see Wella ,you would know him Sludge

Interesting…..would love to have seen more of the docks back in the day. Probably still has a charm about it I’m guessing

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    He’s aged a bit since I last saw him…..the original “ were you from bra” welcome to cardiff central circa 1988……

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Interesting…..would love to have seen more of the docks back in the day. Probably still has a charm about it I’m guessing
    Used to be full of pubs and clubs…..

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Saw him regularly many years ago following cardiff

What a coincidence. Just done a talk for our local historical society about three great uncles killed in WW1. One (my nan's brother) lived in Christina Street when he was killed having lived round the corner in Frances Street. My mother was born in Loudon Square. Sophia Street and Angelina Street nearby, also mentioned in the clip. Just finished reading Shirley Bassey's biography, too. Sophia Street was where she had dancing lessons and her dad lived in Loudon Square. Bute Road round the corner where the Bassey's later lived. All those places gone or significantly changed now. Mum moved upmarket to Splott when she was young. Also had relatives on Splott Road. Thanks for posting.

Spent many a good Sunday afternoon in the Big Windsor.
    Anyone remember Big Lisa?

Lived in old Christina Street up until the time i was seven. Still vaguely remember Loudon square flats being built. Nice to see boozy Watkins (David Watkins), havent seen him for years. Fine rugby player in his day. Oh,and Big Lisa,who can forget her?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    What a coincidence. Just done a talk for our local historical society about three great uncles killed in WW1. One (my nan's brother) lived in Christina Street when he was killed having lived round the corner in Frances Street. My mother was born in Loudon Square. Sophia Street and Angelina Street nearby, also mentioned in the clip. Just finished reading Shirley Bassey's biography, too. Sophia Street was where she had dancing lessons and her dad lived in Loudon Square. Bute Road round the corner where the Bassey's later lived. All those places gone or significantly changed now. Mum moved upmarket to Splott when she was young. Also had relatives on Splott Road. Thanks for posting.
    Below The Bridge is a good book about Butetown

I don't know if it's still in print but I have a copy

Fascinating to read about the area

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Lived in old Christina Street up until the time i was seven. Still vaguely remember Loudon square flats being built. Nice to see boozy Watkins (David Watkins), havent seen him for years. Fine rugby player in his day. Oh,and Big Lisa,who can forget her?
    1964 they were built ?