+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 2 - 1 CROATIA. Match thread

Re: FT: WALES 2 - 1 CROATIA. Match thread

Outstanding tonight. Great tempo and will to win. Can’t fault it and well done to all.

Given we have the tie breaker over Croatia, and unless I'm mistaken Croatia has the tiebreaker over Turkey by virtue of their winning margin being bigger than Turkey's in the two games they've played.

Should we beat Turkey by just a goal, and Turkey have the tie break over us, then I think we'd still be looking at the playoffs due to Turkey owning the tiebreak against us. This looks an extremely tall order, we're effectively going to have to beat Armenia, and beat Turkey by 3 goals unless Croatia drop points.

From the Euro 2020 qualifying but believe it's the same criteria for 2024:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...s-b941447.html

turkey have qualified

if we all finish on 16 pts (Wales and croatia winning their remaining games) then Turkey win the head to head between the three teams, so they are already through

wales will qualify with two wins, no matter what the GD is

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Given we have the tie breaker over Croatia, and unless I'm mistaken Croatia has the tiebreaker over Turkey by virtue of their winning margin being bigger than Turkey's in the two games they've played.

Should we beat Turkey by just a goal, and Turkey have the tie break over us, then I think we'd still be looking at the playoffs due to Turkey owning the tiebreak against us. This looks an extremely tall order, we're effectively going to have to beat Armenia, and beat Turkey by 3 goals unless Croatia drop points.

From the Euro 2020 qualifying but believe it's the same criteria for 2024:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...s-b941447.html
    I don’t think so, the tables I’ve seen have us above Croatia despite us having a much worse goal difference than them - we’ve also scored less than them. The only reason we can be above them is because we took four points off them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don’t think so, the tables I’ve seen have us above Croatia despite us having a much worse goal difference than them - we’ve also scored less than them. The only reason we can be above them is because we took four points off them.
    Indeed, but presuming they won their last two, they’d be on 16 with the tie breaker over Turkey.

If we win our last two we’d be on 16 with Croatia and Turkey, have the tie breaker over Croatia but potentially not Turkey if we won by just a goal against them.

Who finishes where then?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    turkey have qualified

if we all finish on 16 pts (Wales and croatia winning their remaining games) then Turkey win the head to head between the three teams, so they are already through

wales will qualify with two wins, no matter what the GD is
    So you are right, missed that they had.

Reasoning explained in this Twitter thread

https://x.com/craigyjones17/status/1...EyNMvE6WLXQZ9g

All the players will rightly get plaudits but my special mention is for Jordan James and his exceptional performance

Outstanding performance all round, and a special shout out to Conor Roberts for taking one for the team late on. That hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Outstanding performance all round, and a special shout out to Conor Roberts for taking one for the team late on. That hurt.
    Yes, that took a lot of balls, fair play!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That made my eyes water. He looked in agony and took several minutes to recover after he was back on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    That made my eyes water. He looked in agony and took several minutes to recover after he was back on his feet.
    Same. Not sure why the cameras chose to show pictures of people apparently enjoying the moment .

Great result. How poor have Croatia become though?!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Same. Not sure why the cameras chose to show pictures of people apparently enjoying the moment .

Poor? They’ve had a few poor results but I’d take watching a team that ‘poor’ on a regular basis - with improved finishing of course.

Think it was Brovovic who was insistent the he was feigning injury, when the whole world could see the tears in his eyes.

What an awful couple of results though for Croatia.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    All the players will rightly get plaudits but my special mention is for Jordan James and his exceptional performance

He really added something to the team.

Having seen the replay he was faking it a bit as it hit him higher up than the unmentionables. Best performance from Roberts for quite a while I would say though

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Having seen the replay he was faking it a bit as it hit him higher up than the unmentionables. Best performance from Roberts for quite a while I would say though
    Bollocks

Just seen their goal which came from a corner after a save from Ward. Had he let the original effort in var would have given offside but because it went for a corner we conceded a goal. Bloody annoying.

As for 3 teams finishing on 16 points the table goes on the matches just between those 3 teams. We would win the tiebreak group with 7pts turkey second 6pts Croatia third 4 pts

So turkey are through as us and Croatia can't both catch them

Another Cardiff City Stadium night to remember as Wales outplay Croatia.

Harry Wilson scores twice, but there were heroes all over the pitch as under fire Page gets boost.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

It looked painful from where I was sat ,but I did notice that he did well to manage to roll back onto the pitch. I know he gets some stick sometimes but his gamesmanship is great at times like that.

so GD doesnt matter now then, as if tied on points its goes to " head to head ", when did this happen ? ? ?

Brilliant performance. Brooks is a joy to watch, Wilson took both of his goals superbly and Moore was a proper handful. Amazingly Rodon looks like he can defend after finally playing regular football, too. Great stuff, pleased for Page, too especially after some of the clueless stuff Mooney has been coming out with.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    so GD doesnt matter now then, as if tied on points its goes to " head to head ", when did this happen ? ? ?
    Might be wrong but think it's head to head in the euros but gd in the world cup qualifiers

Hmmm, not so sure. Did you see the way he was walking after the game restarted?

Annoying how some women say men couldn’t stand the pain of childbirth. A kick in the balls is much worse, a woman has a child and, perhaps, a while later is quite happy to have another or more. I don’t know of any man who’s been whacked in the orchestra stalls thinking ‘You know what I think I’ll get someone the kick me in the nuts again’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Annoying how some women say men couldn’t stand the pain of childbirth. A kick in the balls is much worse, a woman has a child and, perhaps, a while later is quite happy to have another or more. I don’t know of any man who’s been whacked in the orchestra stalls thinking ‘You know what I think I’ll get someone the kick me in the nuts again’.
    True, but I'm not sure there's any upside linked to a kick in the goolies.