+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Re: Cardiff fans - From Cardiff or not?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don't know you though

You are a recent arrival

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In my experience, north Cardiff is where support is probablg greatest. That and the far west like Ely and Caerau and the far East like Llanrumney and St Mellon's. Much of the centre is less densely people from Cardiff.

I know City are big in the valleys. Are we bigger in some towns than others? Historically I imagine we are bigger in the ones with train stations? And presumably less big in Ebbw Vale, Pontypool etc as they typically feed into Newport?
    We have always had a good following from Cwmbran , Pontypool and Abergavenny are

Ebbw Vale too , Cwm, Tredegar

Big nick , a psychiatric nurse from Tredegar was always a regular with his lot but got married and vanished

A lesson for us all

Also Born in St Davids hospital, lived in grangetown till I was 3, then Barry till I was in my late 20's, now a small village outside Bath

my both girls have never lived In Wales, but are the proudest Welshies that you will meet and only one team, Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There will be an argument over this subject, there always is
    No there won't be, there rarely is

Caardiff born init.

Parents never into football but I have always loved playing it and watching it.

It's great that the surrounding areas are fans though and I love to think I would be if I wasn't from here 👏

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't know you though

You are a recent arrival
    I don’t want to know you. You could give Zippy from
    Rainbow depression with your negativity.

Barry then Rhondda then Merthyr or Caerphilly have the biggest support outside of the City itself.

What Part of llanedeyrn Mike?
    Bryn Fedw. 245 (I think it was). not far from the pub

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Bryn Fedw. 245 (I think it was). not far from the pub
    I was Pensylvania. The place was never up to much, even worse now, no pubs, no leisure centre. It's like zombie town.

North Cornelly.

In the mid 1960's we found a supporters bus from Margam, Port Talbot was willing to pick us up from Pyle Cross. One of the guys running was the manager of Margam Boys Club, where Nigel Rees came from.

Before that a supports bus ran from Cefn Cribwr, Kenfig Hill and Pyle but I think that stopped a year or two after we were relegated from the First Division in 1962.

Born in Barry, lived in Southampton for a few years, remember going to The Dell to watch City's football combination side in the early 80's when the likes of the Wayne Hughes and Paul Giles played for us. Been living on The Peoples republic of Barry Island for 40 years. as others have commented Barry is a big Cardiff city supporting area.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Barry then Rhondda then Merthyr or Caerphilly have the biggest support outside of the City itself.
    Bridgend and Porthcawl

There when it mattered

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    North Cornelly.

In the mid 1960's we found a supporters bus from Margam, Port Talbot was willing to pick us up from Pyle Cross. One of the guys running was the manager of Margam Boys Club, where Nigel Rees came from.

Before that a supports bus ran from Cefn Cribwr, Kenfig Hill and Pyle but I think that stopped a year or two after we were relegated from the First Division in 1962.
    I saw a Swansea City South Cornelly banner at euro 2016

They must have hid that well over the years as that's bluebirds territory

Born in Panteg … bred in Monmouth

I was Pensylvania. The place was never up to much, even worse now, no pubs, no leisure centre. It's like zombie town.
    bought a mid link house, first purchase. took the opportunity to move away

Born in Cardiff (Northlands Maternity Home).

Lived in Roath for a few years.

Bred in England (Shrewsbury and north Cheshire)

Also born in st David’s hospital.
    Moved to Australia 35 years ago.
    If anyone asks I’m still a docks boy.
    And f***ing love the city

Cardiff born and Cardiff bred for the first sixty two years of my life and have lived at the top of the Rhondda valley for the last five and a half years, so I’ve something of a foot in both camps. Most of my life has been spent in west Cardiff (Fairwater and then Pentrebane).and i can’t say that I’d know if any areas of the city are more pro City than others - seems much of a muchness to me.

As for Treorchy and it’s surrounding area, there are more obvious displays of affection for City to be seen than the jacks despite the fact that if I were desperate to watch any live football game, not involving us or the jacks, being played in Cardiff or Swansea, I’d choose the latter because the much better roads to there means I’d get there sooner.

Overall, there seems to be more Cardiff fans up here than Swansea ones, but I daresay that the gap between the two has narrowed in recent years because the jacks have been more successful than us in the twenty first century.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    bought a mid link house, first purchase. took the opportunity to move away
    Wise move 👍
    One and only time I ever went in the Murrayfield, there was a quiz on. First question was “Who the **** you looking at” !

Born in St David’s hospital. Have lived in London for all but 2 years since 1972 when starting my degree course. The City remain my team and will do as long as I live. Way more important to me than the Welsh national side!

Born in Cardiff to Cardiff born parents and spent most of my life in North Cardiff.
    I've watched and supported other teams whilst at uni, or due to family/friends connections, but there's no heartfelt connection that there is with supporting your local team.

Born in Abergavenny, grew up in Herefordshire for a period then mainly just north of Ebbw Vale.

Lived in various parts of Cardiff for a decade give or take, the closest within a mile or so of the ground. Have lived in various places in London since for nearly a decade, currently Walthamstow.

Born in St David's hospital. Lived in Grangetown until I was 5, then moved to Llandaff North.
    Moved to Rumney in my early 20s and then to London for a few years, before moving to China.

Actually, I'm not much of a football fan per se (probably helps being a Cardiff City follower ), I'm just interested in the City, and Wales to a far lesser degree.
    In fact, when he lived in London, I never went to watch a game not involving the City (QPR were just a short distance from where I lived).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I know City are big in the valleys. Are we bigger in some towns than others? Historically I imagine we are bigger in the ones with train stations? And presumably less big in Ebbw Vale, Pontypool etc as they typically feed into Newport?
    Support for the big English sides aside, which is obviously the majority, then in my experience the more northern ‘Gwent’ valleys towns (Rhymney, Tredegar, Ebbw etc) are overwhelmingly city. Some jacks to be fair, probably as it’s an easy enough drive to Swansea down the A465 but public transport is almost non existent.

I’ve never met a county fan or seen any paraphernalia in the area. Unless you were originally from Newport or had family links I dont know why you’d follow them as Cardiff is basically equidistant and with better transport links.

Know plenty that follow Merthyr to varying degrees too, including myself.

I remember years ago travelling to Hirwaun to buy a car. The whole area was daubed in City graffiti. It was plastered on garage doors, shop fronts, lampposts... everywhere!
    It felt really tribal, like they were marking out their territory. Never seen anything like it within Cardiff itself.
    Bought the car but didn't collect it immediately. I later ended up in Aberdare having a beer. The rather emaciated guy who served me my first pint had a crude SCFC tattoo on his hand.
    So my take from the experience was there's clearly boundaries of support that I (as a Cardiffian) had little knowledge of.