Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
I enjoy the Olympics but I feel liked it’s getting too big now imo.

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sporting achievement for athletes. For sports like Rugby, Football, Tennis, etc there’s plenty of other more prestigious tournaments.

If you offered a player the chance to win the World Cup, Euros or Olympics none would choose the Olympics over the WC and I imagine a good chunk would say winning the Euros would be ahead of the Olympics.

It also makes it a lot harder logistically and financially to host the games. If I recall, Brisbane won the 2032 games as it was the only bid.
Agreed completely. There are a few outliers, Tennis and Golf seem to almost be treated as fifth majors, the players really seem to get up for it.

Generally speaking, the olympics needs to modernise and trim the programme right down, way too many sports and way too many disciplines within those sports.

I went to a talk about 5 years ago at LA 2028's HQ, and they were quite boastful that the 2028 Olympics will be the first to not involve any building of new permanent venues (unsure if this has since changed) to ensure running costs aren't astronomical and no white elephants are left... they then essentially predicted that interest in hosting will dwindle due to the running costs, which as you mentioned, has already happened.

The Olympics will end up getting bounced around a handful of countries that won't need to build too many venues.