+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Olympic sports

New Olympic sports

Cricket, flag football (non-contact American football apparently), squash, lacrosse and baseball/softball all in from 2028 in LA.

About time squash stopped being overlooked. Not sure the others add anything though.

Re: New Olympic sports

Baseball is actually a pretty good addition, certainly as justified as Cricket and Rugby 7s if it's still going to be there.

I enjoy the Olympics but I feel liked it’s getting too big now imo.

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sporting achievement for athletes. For sports like Rugby, Football, Tennis, etc there’s plenty of other more prestigious tournaments.

If you offered a player the chance to win the World Cup, Euros or Olympics none would choose the Olympics over the WC and I imagine a good chunk would say winning the Euros would be ahead of the Olympics.

It also makes it a lot harder logistically and financially to host the games. If I recall, Brisbane won the 2032 games as it was the only bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I enjoy the Olympics but I feel liked it’s getting too big now imo.

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of sporting achievement for athletes. For sports like Rugby, Football, Tennis, etc there’s plenty of other more prestigious tournaments.

If you offered a player the chance to win the World Cup, Euros or Olympics none would choose the Olympics over the WC and I imagine a good chunk would say winning the Euros would be ahead of the Olympics.

It also makes it a lot harder logistically and financially to host the games. If I recall, Brisbane won the 2032 games as it was the only bid.
    Agreed completely. There are a few outliers, Tennis and Golf seem to almost be treated as fifth majors, the players really seem to get up for it.

Generally speaking, the olympics needs to modernise and trim the programme right down, way too many sports and way too many disciplines within those sports.

I went to a talk about 5 years ago at LA 2028's HQ, and they were quite boastful that the 2028 Olympics will be the first to not involve any building of new permanent venues (unsure if this has since changed) to ensure running costs aren't astronomical and no white elephants are left... they then essentially predicted that interest in hosting will dwindle due to the running costs, which as you mentioned, has already happened.

The Olympics will end up getting bounced around a handful of countries that won't need to build too many venues.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Town planning was an Olympic ‘sport ‘ for several games.

Bring it back. Cardiff council will win gold shirley

I thought I heard something the other day about there only being a limited number of athletes allowed and if they introduced these new team sports then they would have to drop some to balance the numbers.

I can't imagine flag football is played much anywhere outside of N.America, touch rugby would likely have a much wider geographical spread. I assume its just in due to the hosts.

We need more ‘sitting down’ sports - and cheese rolling!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We need more ‘sitting down’ sports - and cheese rolling!
    bog snorkeling also

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    I can't imagine flag football is played much anywhere outside of N.America, touch rugby would likely have a much wider geographical spread. I assume its just in due to the hosts.
    Flag football is popular in China. I know this because we used to host a Chinese student, and when she came back to the UK recently, she paid us a visit.

She said that she is part of a club that plays it in Hangzhou, China.

Until she mentioned it to me and mrsKingOfSiamSheIs, we had never heard of it before.

Monkey Tennis 🎾

Youth Hostelling With Chris Eubank

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Youth Hostelling With Chris Eubank
    I was going to say that's a definite gold medal for Chris Eubank (the 1990s boxer) but then remembered that his son is Chris Eubank Jr and there's an American tennis player called Chris Eubanks who might also be eligible to compete, so it could be more competitive than I thought.
    Not sure how the scoring system would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I was going to say that's a definite gold medal for Chris Eubank (the 1990s boxer) but then remembered that his son is Chris Eubank Jr and there's an American tennis player called Chris Eubanks who might also be eligible to compete, so it could be more competitive than I thought.
    Not sure how the scoring system would work.
    I would personally just eradicate The Olympics completely

But I am not sure it ties in with this thread

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Town planning was an Olympic ‘sport ‘ for several games.

Bring it back. Cardiff council will win gold shirley
    So was poetry and painting (pictures, not walls) but they were dropped because the "athletes" would go back to poetry/painting afterwards, making them 'professionals'.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I would personally just eradicate The Olympics completely

But I am not sure it ties in with this thread
    I'll raze it to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    I'll raze it to the ground
    There's a load of ccts down the BBC want sorting out