Thread: Steve Coogan As Jimmy Saville

Steve Coogan As Jimmy Saville

Outside of his comedy stuff he's clearly a very good character actor

Superb impressionist

Re: Steve Coogan As Jimmy Saville

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Superb impressionist
    Mrs HaB watched it all. I couldn't. Very creepy.

Perter Sutcliffe is on at the same time.It's all about viewing figures.I'm not sure it should be aired,although it did show the cops ****ing up big time.Dismissing a black woman whose police sketch was spot on.This was in 1976,he went on killing until 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Superb impressionist
    Did you miss laurel and hardy ?

Brilliant performance.

Friends in high places Saville. Maggies boy and Charles best butty.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Brilliant performance.

Friends in high places Saville. Maggies boy and Charles best butty.
    He also had that awe about him that nobody in high places questioned.

BBC make a drama about a man they employed and make revenue from it absolutely disgusting, the victims families must be horrified.

Bet the Newsnight incident was down played .

Some actors would do anything for fame and fortune.

Shame on you Cogan and the BBC .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Mrs HaB watched it all. I couldn't. Very creepy.
    It wasn't pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Did you miss laurel and hardy ?
    Were they on BBC 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    BBC make a dram,a about a man they employed and make revenue from it absolutely disgusting, the victims families must be horrified.

I am not defending the BBCs role but victims of Savilles abuse were interviewed as part of the film

4 of them waived their right to anonymity, if its good enough for them then I don't think the BBC should be criticised for making the drama

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Perter Sutcliffe is on at the same time.It's all about viewing figures.I'm not sure it should be aired,although it did show the cops ****ing up big time.Dismissing a black woman whose police sketch was spot on.This was in 1976,he went on killing until 1981.
    I thought the same recently. Mrs EB has been listening to the Lucy Letby podcast. Not sure about making entertainment from the like

Really great drama and well made with the victims also appearing as they now are at the end.

I don't really understand the backlash tbh. And Steve Coogan has apparently received some himself. Why? Too soon I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Really great drama and well made with the victims also appearing as they now are at the end.

I don't really understand the backlash tbh. And Steve Coogan has apparently received some himself. Why? Too soon I guess?
    It depends on whether you think the series shines a further light on the subject or if it's done purely for entertainment purposes. The contributions of some of Savile's victims gives it some credence, of course.
    LoM wrongly interpreted the podcast of Shemims Begum's situation before it was even broadcast.

It’s a pity Savile went when he did. I would have dragged him from Scotland to Cornwall behind a horse and cart. He was that evil. Difficult role for Coogan to take on. I couldn’t watch it.

Watching the first episode now, can only say that Coogan has Savile down to a tee, right down to him not telling you anything revealing about himself when he spoke to you. You are often shocked when you find out what someone famous is really like, not with Savile though, his complete lack of empathy and feeling for his fellow human beings always shone through and it was a mystery to me how so many were taken in by him.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I thought the Ripper series added something worthwhile to our knowledge of the events by showing it from the women's point of view. It humanised them. It also, once again, showed how utterly incompetent the police were. Worse than that, it showed how their bigotry regarding sex workers led directly to him being free for another five years.
    It wasn't at all prurient.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I thought the Ripper series added something worthwhile to our knowledge of the events by showing it from the women's point of view. It humanised them. It also, once again, showed how utterly incompetent the police were. Worse than that, it showed how their bigotry regarding sex workers led directly to him being free for another five years.
    It wasn't at all prurient.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Watching the first episode now, can only say that Coogan has Savile down to a tee, right down to him not telling you anything revealing about himself when he spoke to you. You are often shocked when you find out what someone famous is really like, not with Savile though, his complete lack of empathy and feeling for his fellow human beings always shone through and it was a mystery to me how so many were taken in by him.
    I'm quite interested in these opinions actually. I remember Jimll Fix It, I guess it ended when I was maybe 10 or so and it was an iconic programme that I enjoyed - who wouldn't?

For most of my life he was a creepy older guy who Iike most people I found very weird, but I suppose in an eccentric way. In my twenties, I don't recall it being common knowledge that he was beset by rumours. The most common opinion was just that he was weird, and I obviously didn't spend much time thinking about it either, he was just an old celebrity.

That seemed to change a bit after the famous (and excellent) Louis Theroux interviews, but again he just seemed weird more than anything.

I remember him dying and randomly I was on the phone to a call centre in Leeds and the girl said the city was in mourning etc, albeit in a bit of a jokey way.

Do you think it was common knowledge that he had been committing the crimes we now know he did? I'm genuinely interested to know what people who were adults at the time felt

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm quite interested in these opinions actually. I remember Jimll Fix It, I guess it ended when I was maybe 10 or so and it was an iconic programme that I enjoyed - who wouldn't?

For most of my life he was a creepy older guy who Iike most people I found very weird, but I suppose in an eccentric way. In my twenties, I don't recall it being common knowledge that he was beset by rumours. The most common opinion was just that he was weird, and I obviously didn't spend much time thinking about it either, he was just an old celebrity.

That seemed to change a bit after the famous (and excellent) Louis Theroux interviews, but again he just seemed weird more than anything.

I remember him dying and randomly I was on the phone to a call centre in Leeds and the girl said the city was in mourning etc, albeit in a bit of a jokey way.

Do you think it was common knowledge that he had been committing the crimes we now know he did? I'm genuinely interested to know what people who were adults at the time felt
    I’ve mentioned before on here that my thinking on Savile was influenced by something an uncle of mine said to me in the seventies when I would have been around twenty (I didn’t like him before that mind because I always thought he came over as having little interest in or knowledge of the music which was the basis of him becoming a celebrity in the first place). My uncle was in the Merchant Navy and spent some time around the Liverpool/Manchester area around the late fifties and early sixties and although I don’t think he knew him that well, came across Savile a few times.

He was visiting us one day and I remember there was just me and him watching telly in the house at the time when Savile appeared on there, he said straight away “he’s a bad, bad man”, I pressed him for more, but he left it at that, apart from saying he’d heard some awful things about him when he was younger. If I had to guess, I’d say he was talking more about things like him having that young man beaten up at his night club that appeared at the start of the episode, rather than the sex stuff, but I may be wrong.

My uncle was never one to engage in gossip and I never heard him talk about anyone else in the showbiz and sporting world (he got to meet a few fairly big stars in his life) in the same way.

Even without that though, I don’t think my opinion of Savile would have been too different - I agree he was weird, but I also found him dislikable and boring.

Around the start of the 2000s, I read a lot of stories about Savile, particularly remember that he had keys to the morgue, on popbitch.com.

While you could hardly take everything said on there as gospel, it pretty much proved correct. This is what popbitch published after Savile died.

Since Popbitch launched in 2000, we've often been asked which celebrity we'd had most stories about. It's not David Beckham. Nor even Paul Danan. "Jimmy Savile", was always the answer. Among a host of strange rumours is this one, the strangest. Itinvolved Mr Savile, a penchant for necrophilia... and access to the morgue at Leeds General Infirmary which, the story went, he was given in return for his charity work. We've been told this story by probably 100+ people - including two DJs, six journalists and a member of the House of Lords - it was even supposed to be one of Larry Grayson's favourite yarns. But most often it was told to us by a Leeds resident, the Rev Goatboy, late of this parish, who always promised to leave the evidence to support this wild theory with one reliable person, on condition we'd only use it after Savile's death. Sadly, none of us can remember who was supposed to have been the guardian of this evidence. So we have none.

Done a little search on my emails and found this from popbitch. In the interests of fairness, balance and nuance, and all that.

"I worked at Leeds General infirmary
    at the same time as Jimmy Savile. He
    was certainly weird but the necrophilia
    story is not true. There was always a
    lot of hoopla every time he came into
    the hospital and he was never alone.
    I worked with him for months and never
    saw anything to suggest he was sneaking
    off to the mortuary.

"One of the radiographers had a withered
    hand with small stumps instead of fingers.
    Savile loved to hold her hand and stroke
    them - now that is truly strange..."

https://fb.watch/nKcN9oV7my/

This is worth a listen - Scottish comedian Jerry Sadowitz somewhat prophetically calling Jimmy Savile for what he was.

The BBC making programmes for entertainment / profit that show them in a really bad light historically. Some mental gymnatics going on there even by that loon LoMs standards.

Hes just got the hump that they also showed Thatcher for what she was.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    BBC make a drama about a man they employed and make revenue from it absolutely disgusting, the victims families must be horrified.

this is such a weird take

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    this is such a weird take
    Like Steve Coogan had to play the role for fame and fortune

Hes been an established figure in the TV and film industry for 25+ years and has a net worth of £20m but he played the role for fame and fortune.