Thread: “A feisty Cardiff derby”

“A feisty Cardiff derby”

From four years ago.

Re: “A feisty Cardiff derby”

"Grange Albion". Enough said !

"Fiesty" . Enough said !

You do spell fiesty like that don’t you? I typed that in and predictive text immediately changed it to fiesta - when I typed it in again, I was told it was the wrong spelling, so I tried feisty and it accepted that. Fiesty/feisty has always struck me as an American word and so I don’t see how this is a case of an s and z and single or double L spelling which pulls you up depending on whether your computer is set to UK or US English.

I’ve just checked again and my IPad definitely thinks it’s spelt feisty, so I’ve checked a few on line dictionaries and, yes, it is spelt feisty - so much for that old i before e except after c stuff. English must be an awful language for a foreigner to master, I still haven’t done after sixty seven years!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You do spell fiesty like that don’t you? I typed that in and predictive text immediately changed it to fiesta - when I typed it in again, I was told it was the wrong spelling, so I tried feisty and it accepted that. Fiesty/feisty has always struck me as an American word and so I don’t see how this is a case of an s and z and single or double L spelling which pulls you up depending on whether your computer is set to UK or US English.

I’ve just checked again and my IPad definitely thinks it’s spelt feisty, so I’ve checked a few on line dictionaries and, yes, it is spelt feisty - so much for that old i before e except after c stuff. English must be an awful language for a foreigner to master, I still haven’t done after sixty seven years!
    An American involvement with the word feisty, yes. The derivation might surprise you though. If you reply that you had a feeling it would have something to do with dogs and farting then I might have to call you a liar.

https://uselessetymology.com/2018/01...0around%201896.

Baseball Derby Games

Did they ever Kick Off ?

As it were

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Baseball Derby Games

Did they ever Kick Off ?

As it were
    yes played in a few grange derby games too !

but the bigger derby was the llanrumney v grange albion games , was much more spicey back in the day !

I played for Grange Albion under 11 to under 16.
    My claim to fame was playing on that pitch and Earnie Curtis was watching the game, I played in the same team as his Grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    An American involvement with the word feisty, yes. The derivation might surprise you though. If you reply that you had a feeling it would have something to do with dogs and farting then I might have to call you a liar.

https://uselessetymology.com/2018/01...0around%201896.
    And, in this instance, I’m not a liar - who would have thought it!

Baseball Derby Games

Did they ever Kick Off ?

As it were

Reckon the Wayne Matthews mentioned at the start is the ex City player.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Reckon the Wayne Matthews mentioned at the start is the ex City player.
    yes it is , former city players that played top level baseball includes Paul Bodin , Phil Dwyer , David Giles and Ken Hollyman

Newport County pro players include Norman Parseille and Ellis Harrison now with Milton Keynes i think

from the world of rugby Dave Bishop , Mark Ring and Mike Rayer

sure there are more but a bit earlty in the morning to think !

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Baseball Derby Games

Did they ever Kick Off ?

As it were
    I remember watching Fitzalan OB playing Llanrumney. There was a lot of ‘banter’ before and during the game.
    Fitzalan base 3 must have got fed up with it and pulled the base out of the ground and struck one of the llanrumney players as he was running between 2 and 3.

Absolute bedlam ensued with players and supporters from both sides involved in a free for all on Llandaff fields

In the days before mobile phones so no records f the proceedings but pretty feisty stuff