+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Liberal Democrats

The Liberal Democrats

Unless Proportional Representation is brought in they are forever going to be a minor party or a protest vote

Very poor showing again last night

Shame as I think a strong Liberal party within a left of centre opposition would represent a lot of ordinary voters

They may well form part of a coalition with Labour if Starmer doesn't get enough seats

Many would be happy with that as long as it kept out the blue rabble

Re: The Liberal Democrats

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Unless Proportional Representation is brought in they are forever going to be a minor party or a protest vote

Very poor showing again last night

Shame as I think a strong Liberal party within a left of centre opposition would represent a lot of ordinary voters

They may well form part of a coalition with Labour if Starmer doesn't get enough seats

Many would be happy with that as long as it kept out the blue rabble
    You say that but the last time the Liberals had a chance of keeping the Tories out they ended up jumping into bed with them and we've all ended up being fuucked by the Tories ever since.

I wonder what that cuunt Clegg is doing now? Toes up hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You say that but the last time the Liberals had a chance of keeping the Tories out they ended up jumping into bed with them and we've all ended up being fuucked by the Tories ever since.

The liberals wanted to team up with labour but brown wasn't interested

So they shagged the devil and got bit

Still selling his soul to Facebook isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Still selling his soul to Facebook isn't he?
    Who was the tall ginger Scottish liberal of that time ?

Cameron was a used car salesman

Forgotten what life was like in 2008-2010 have you?!

I don't even know what the Lib Dems stand for. At least with the Tories/Labour it's pretty clear cut: Tories stand for inequality and greed; Labour stands for fairness and justice. But what exactly floats your average Lib Dem's boat? I'm buggered if I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Forgotten what life was like in 2008-2010 have you?!
    No, I remember quite well, you?

No, I remember quite well, you?
    Yeah, I had a few mates lose their jobs. One had a House repossessed.

I remember expenses scandals, cut backs, low morale, airlines going bust when people were abroad, a pretty severe recession, lads dying in Afghanistan, house price collapse, negative equity, bank bailouts using our money, unemployment being far higher than it is now.

Was no picnic. The world hasn't been the same since before the 2008 crash really.

I remember expenses scandals, cut backs, low morale, airlines going bust when people were abroad, a pretty severe recession, lads dying in Afghanistan, house price collapse, negative equity, bank bailouts using our money, unemployment being far higher than it is now.

Was no picnic. The world hasn't been the same since before the 2008 crash really.
    Thank fuuck that Clegg then decided to hang out of Cameron's arse to make the UK a better place!

It's been an absolute ball since.

You remember faaack all then

Because as you keep trying to tell us you voted for Labour then

So any of literal analysis needs to be viewed with half an eye closed

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You remember faaack all then

Because as you keep trying to tell us you voted for Labour then

So any of literal analysis needs to be viewed with half an eye closed
    2010 I think I voted Lib Dem.

I've just checked..

The economy declined five quarters in a row.

Average wages fell. Not accounting for inflation. The actual average wage fell.

Unemployment was 8%. Youth unemployment 20%. Both pretty much double the last few years.

Consumer confidence hit -40.

Covid aside, 2008-10 were the worst years in recent history in many respects.

Anyone who thought that was automatically fixed by a change of government was wrong. Anyone who thinks that now is the same.

Not to say there aren't other benefits of change, but the fundamentals won't change.

2010 I think I voted Lib Dem.

I've just checked..

The economy declined five quarters in a row.

Average wages fell. Not accounting for inflation. The actual average wage fell.

Unemployment was 8%. Youth unemployment 20%. Both pretty much double the last few years.

Consumer confidence hit -40.

Covid aside, 2008-10 were the worst years in recent history in many respects.

Anyone who thought that was automatically fixed by a change of government was wrong. Anyone who thinks that now is the same.

Not to say there aren't other benefits of change, but the fundamentals won't change.
    2008 - 10, global recession, perhaps poorly managed v Brexit and Truss where the UK 'powers that be' committed economic hari Kiri.

2008 - 10, global recession, perhaps poorly managed v Brexit and Truss where the UK 'powers that be' committed economic hari Kiri.
    It's just this whole "13 years" thing, as if things were good before. They werent, they were worse than anything since.

Global causes yes, but that's the same now.

It's just rhetoric really, but I guess that's politics for you.

It's just this whole "13 years" thing, as if things were good before. They werent, they were worse than anything since.

Truss tanking the economy wasn't global neither was Brexit.

The 13 years thing, the only person to mention it in this thread is you.

That said the UK economy performed strongly from 1997 up to the recession in 2008.

I would rather get a slap from a mate than some lump in the pub

Truss tanking the economy wasn't global neither was Brexit.

The 13 years thing, the only person to mention it in this thread is you.

That said the UK economy performed strongly from 1997 up to the recession in 2008.
    No, the impact of the Truss budget was selfmade, but it hasn't impacted much long term at all. Same with Brexit, despite all the noise.

And you are right.. it did. But from 2008 it didn't. That has set the tone for lower growth across the west since. We've never recovered.

I hope we do if we got a new government but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't even know what the Lib Dems stand for. At least with the Tories/Labour it's pretty clear cut: Tories stand for inequality and greed; Labour stands for fairness and justice. But what exactly floats your average Lib Dem's boat? I'm buggered if I know.
    I don't think there is an average Lib Dem. They have been chameleons since the days of David Steele. In Labour areas (like mine) they are Yellow Tories. In Tory areas they are Yellow Social Democrats. In some parts of the south west they sound and act like Greens.

I don't think there is an average Lib Dem. They have been chameleons since the days of David Steele. In Labour areas (like mine) they are Yellow Tories. In Tory areas they are Yellow Social Democrats. In some parts of the south west they sound and act like Greens.
    Agree on this. Like many third parties I guess they fill the gaps depending on where they exist.

Lib Dems can be very different across the country. Only thing that is consistent is their dodgy bar charts.

So, why is it then that probably the most effective line that Labour can come out with at the moment is the simple question "are you better off now than you were thirteen years ago?"

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk...rG60vuEv-jKP_e

No, the impact of the Truss budget was selfmade, but it hasn't impacted much long term at all. Same with Brexit, despite all the noise.

And you are right.. it did. But from 2008 it didn't. That has set the tone for lower growth across the west since. We've never recovered.

I hope we do if we got a new government but I doubt it.
    You don't know this. Please don't try and pass it off as fact. I think you'll be proved very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    You don't know this. Please don't try and pass it off as fact. I think you'll be proved very wrong.
    Exactly this.

What we do know is that since Brexit (and the end of Covid) the UK has experienced higher rates of inflation, we have a shortage of workers, even Twaaty Tim from Spoons acknowledges this and our economy growth rate lags behind the rest of the G7 countries.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though?

Luckily for the UK, Liz Truss came to save the day

Truss was once a Liberal.

I rest my case m’lud.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, why is it then that probably the most effective line that Labour can come out with at the moment is the simple question "are you better off now than you were thirteen years ago?"

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk...rG60vuEv-jKP_e
    Because it's political rhetoric. It's obvious why they do it. I would do it. It's a good attack line. But an even better question is are you better off that you were 15 years ago! That's my point. People forget what 2008-2010 was like.

This idea that things changed in 2010 with a new govt. It's wrong. Things changed in 2008.

Exactly this.

What we do know is that since Brexit (and the end of Covid) the UK has experienced higher rates of inflation, we have a shortage of workers, even Twaaty Tim from Spoons acknowledges this and our economy growth rate lags behind the rest of the G7 countries.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though?

Luckily for the UK, Liz Truss came to save the day
    There has been essentially zero impact on GDP growth of it Vs other comparable countries.

Our inflation did not peak higher.

Our unemployment is noticeably lower

Our wage growth is higher

Our experts to the EU are now far higher too.

It's made some things harder for some businesses thats true. You can put some things in the negative column, that's not in. Dispute. But overall there is no notable impact.