Thread: London To Cardiff Trains Cancelled

London To Cardiff Trains Cancelled

Flooding on tracks

Bit of a downer if you are coming home for the weekend

Re: London To Cardiff Trains Cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Flooding on tracks

Bit of a downer if you are coming home for the weekend
    Had similar last week. Line closed at Swindon for flooding. They crammed three trains worth of people on to one train at Paddington and it set off via Reading Newbury Westbury Bath Bristol TM Bristol Parkway before crossing into South Wales.

They found a second train at Reading so 3 went into 2. Still standing room only.

Got my return fare back because of the delay. Quite stressful but thankfully got seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Had similar last week. Line closed at Swindon for flooding. They crammed three trains worth of people on to one train at Paddington and it set off via Reading Newbury Westbury Bath Bristol TM Bristol Parkway before crossing into South Wales.

They found a second train at Reading so 3 went into 2. Still standing room only.

Got my return fare back because of the delay. Quite stressful but thankfully got seats.
    Thank god I don't live up north anymore

I used to get the cross country train home which came through the Welsh marches

Always got stuck Shrewsbury or Hereford or Abergavenny

Hereford , all tossers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

I got stuck the other way on Friday, absolute nightmare. Left Cardiff on the 16:50 and got to paddington at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I got stuck the other way on Friday, absolute nightmare. Left Cardiff on the 16:50 and got to paddington at 22:30.
    Bloody 'ell!

This is why I have given up the trains - too many delays and overcrowding! Am now travelling up and down to Cardiff from London by National Express bus. It takes longer but the trip home one is very comfortable as there are only about 10 passengers on the 17:45 out of Sophia Gardens back to London Victoria, meaning you can really stretch out. Also, the bus toilet is way cleaner than the train’s.

The fare varies just like the train. I pay about £22 return versus the approximately £55 over 60s return journey by train.

Going down to the game, I arrive at 13:10, later than I used to when taking the train but this doesn’t matter to me as I have fallen out with someone I used to drink with before the game because of an unwarranted verbal tirade and insults. Possibly I contributed to this, although probably not. I now walk straight to the ground where there is plenty going on and a wide choice of places to eat and drink in.

Plus, going home there is wasted time taking the train after the match as the first one back to Paddington doesn’t leave until 18:22. So the coach departing 17:45 saves this wasted time given the journey starts earlier than the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    This is why I have given up the trains - too many delays and overcrowding! Am now travelling up and down to Cardiff from London by National Express bus. It takes longer but the trip home one is very comfortable as there are only about 10 passengers on the 17:45 out of Sophia Gardens back to London Victoria, meaning you can really stretch out. Also, the bus toilet is way cleaner than the train’s.

The fare varies just like the train. I pay about £22 return versus the approximately £55 over 60s return journey by train.

Going down to the game, I arrive at 13:10, later than I used to when taking the train but this doesn’t matter to me as I have fallen out with someone I used to drink with before the game because of an unwarranted verbal tirade and insults. Possibly I contributed to this, although probably not. I now walk straight to the ground where there is plenty going on and a wide choice of places to eat and drink in.

Plus, going home there is wasted time taking the train after the match as the first one back to Paddington doesn’t leave until 18:22. So the coach departing 17:45 saves this wasted time given the journey starts earlier than the train.
    What's the general journey time from Victoria to Sophia Gardens ?

Is it an express flyer ie straight here , no stops ?

What's the general journey time from Victoria to Sophia Gardens ?

Is it an express flyer ie straight here , no stops ?
    On the coach? I use it and Megabus a lot. Depends on the time but usually 3.5 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    On the coach? I use it and Megabus a lot. Depends on the time but usually 3.5 hrs
    Is that a direct run or does it stop in Reading, Swindon etc ?

Is that a direct run or does it stop in Reading, Swindon etc ?
    Nearly always direct. Sometimes a stop in Newport and rarely one in Bristol too.

The train is nicer obviously, but I find both National Express and Megabus a great and relaxing way to get to London and back. So much cheaper too.

I've done a few London away days on it too. If you book in advance you can sometimes get up and back for £15.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nearly always direct. Sometimes a stop in Newport and rarely one in Bristol too.

The train is nicer obviously, but I find both National Express and Megabus a great and relaxing way to get to London and back. So much cheaper too.

I've done a few London away days on it too. If you book in advance you can sometimes get up and back for £15.
    I tried the bus to get up to Bradford but you had to change at Bristol and Leeds and in the end it was a pain the arse

I tried the bus to get up to Bradford but you had to change at Bristol and Leeds and in the end it was a pain the arse
    i,m off to Leeds in a few weeks time for a concert . Is there not a direst coach to Leeds these days ?

don't fancy taking the car or train

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i,m off to Leeds in a few weeks time for a concert . Is there not a direst coach to Leeds these days ?

Might be worth checking out flixbus. Failing that, looks like there are some advances on the trains for around the £38 mark

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Cardiff to Leeds on megabus is 6 and a half hours which is two hours longer than it should be , I used to drive it in 4

Maybe it's a couple of changes ?

Used to be a direct train to Leeds from Cardiff and I would have one change at Leeds for Bradford

I have a feeling if you are going on the train to Leeds it's a change at Bristol parkway

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Might be worth checking out flixbus. Failing that, looks like there are some advances on the trains for around the £38 mark
    will deffo have a look at that . Thanks