Looking to book something for a break and Bucharest has come up as option

Anyone got any views?

Re: Bucharest - Worth a visit?

Haven’t been to Bucharest, but Budapest is a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Looking to book something for a break and Bucharest has come up as option

Anyone got any views?
    We went to Romania about 35 years ago when the Ceaucescus ware still alive (Dracula Tour!) and spent a few days in Bucharest. All I can remember of it is massive concrete buildings (Soviet brutalism) and big roads full of battered Dacias (Renault 12s from kits). But there is an old town that we barely saw which should be more interesting, and Romania has moved on a lot with touristy things. It is a better bet than Tirana!

Great city to visit. Not too big, plenty of cultural interest in terms of architecture/museums/churches etc and the local beer is decent (and cheap). Easy to get around too on their underground metro system and if you prefer a taxi they are cheap - just check the rate listed on the door and that the meter is on!

Not sure about Bucharest but son has just come back from Budapest which he said was a beautiful city

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Not sure about Bucharest but son has just come back from Budapest which he said was a beautiful city
    I’ve been to Budapest and it’s lovely. But it’s closer to Venice than it is to Bucharest so not sure it’s a good yardstick

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Great city to visit. Not too big, plenty of cultural interest in terms of architecture/museums/churches etc and the local beer is decent (and cheap). Easy to get around too on their underground metro system and if you prefer a taxi they are cheap - just check the rate listed on the door and that the meter is on!
    Agree with this.

The organisation I work for has a lot going on in Romania... We worked with the Romania government to set up child care systems and move away from those terribly orphanages Ceaușescu set up.

I ran the Bucharest marathon a few years back.

Wonderful city.. Safe..lots of culture.. Arts.. The Contrast of architecture from different eras is strange, fascinating, sad etc... But make it really interesting. Make sure you visit Ceaușescus palace.. Which is what it is really. Now part of it is used as the Romanian Parliament.

All the beer and wines and spirits are good.

Make sure you stock up on Moldovan wine that you can pick up cheaply... Moldovan wine is the best kept secret of wines.

**** knows why people are comparing Bucharest to Budapest when the OP hasn't said a thing about Budapest. Is it because they're spelt in a similar way? If i asked about London i wouldn't want info on Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’ve been to Budapest and it’s lovely. But it’s closer to Venice than it is to Bucharest so not sure it’s a good yardstick
    If we're doing alternate destinations starting with a 'B' can I make a pitch for Bradford. Fantastic curries, great iMax cinema and cheaper to get to than eastern Europe!

Haven't been to Bucharest, or Budapest, but have been to Burton [Derbyshire] and Bourton [Gloucestershire], and both nice in their own way...

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Haven't been to Bucharest, or Budapest, but have been to Burton [Derbyshire] and Bourton [Gloucestershire], and both nice in their own way...
    Berlin Belfast and Brighton aren't bad either allegedly!

Looking to book SOMETHING for a break and Bucharest has come up as option

Anyone got any views?

The OP, was shirley asking a question ?

Book a rest, go to Budapest.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    **** knows why people are comparing Bucharest to Budapest when the OP hasn't said a thing about Budapest. Is it because they're spelt in a similar way? If i asked about London i wouldn't want info on Paris.
    Bucharest & Budapest are the capital cities of Romania & Hungary respectively. The cities are roughly 400 miles apart as the crow flies.

Historically the European countries which were considered to be "behind the Iron Curtain" included: Poland, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania and the Soviet Union. Cities behind the iron curtain might have things in common that potential tourists might want to consider.

Perhaps indicating that Budapest is a worthwhile alternative is not as 'stupid' as you and some others imply.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

The OP, was shirley asking a question ?
    Exactly ... but some are still pissed from last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Bucharest & Budapest are the capital cities of Romania & Hungary respectively. The cities are roughly 400 miles apart as the crow flies.

Historically the European countries which were considered to be "behind the Iron Curtain" included: Poland, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania and the Soviet Union. Cities behind the iron curtain might have things in common that potential tourists might want to consider.

Perhaps indicating that Budapest is a worthwhile alternative is not as 'stupid' as you and some others imply.
    You reckon that's why people were recommending Budapest then, because of the cultural and historical similarities, as you put it🤣 I'll give you the Geo political link, but the likelihood is because they're spelt in a similar fashion. My advice is go and see both cities.

As we're doing these cities, I'll join in with an unhelpful anecdote.

I went to Budapest to visit a friend and booked a hotel in Bucharest as it wasn't far and seemed worth it. They told me we could take the hire car to Romania if we wanted, but it was 50-50 if we'd get it over the border as you're not supposed to take a hire car out the country. Didn't bother in the end, and the hotel was so cheap in Bucharest that I couldn't be bothered to cancel for a refund.

So there we go, just like pretty much everyone else, I haven't been.

I recommend Benidorm