+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 20mph -Protest this saturday on M4-PLAN AHEAD

Re: 20mph -Protest this saturday on M4-PLAN AHEAD

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s just a shame the WAG didn’t redistribute money wasted on failed projects in these areas.

They want to expend the Welsh government at a cost of millions ( when was the last time you saw a AM) yet there is no money for school meals during term times , essential local government services etc.

The motorist is an easy scapegoat I suppose
    Poor you.

Car wanker

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s just a shame the WAG didn’t redistribute money wasted on failed projects in these areas.

They want to expend the Welsh government at a cost of millions ( when was the last time you saw a AM) yet there is no money for school meals during term times , essential local government services etc.

The motorist is an easy scapegoat I suppose
    Everyone has free school meals now. Why are you deliberately misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Brilliant old trickle down economics, got us exactly where we are. Elderly people going cold this winter and hard working people having to use foodbanks
    Biggest con job ever! Trickle down economics? Most people have some semblance of education now, surely no one is daft enough to believe that old myth. The rich keep their Dosh; they don't trickle it down to anybody because they get friendly governments to ensure it doesn't escape their greasy mitts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The point, I assume, like most protests before the selfish twats from JSO started is to create a conversation and make a noise etc. Which is working.

I dunno, but I gather they only went in the slow lane.

I'm surprised it's allowed as I don't think roads are places for protests whatever it is
    I’d get that, but as a few on this board will tell you, EVERYONE is already talking about it non stop. Surely there’s no point getting people talking and raising awareness to an issue which everyone bar none is already talking about because it’s damaged their lives irreparably. So I’m back to wondering what the point is.

I wonder if they’ll get half a million joining this protest given it’s so important to the majority of Wales. Or will it be about 20 old timers shaking their fists. Only time will tell.

Have to agree though that I’m very surprised any protest involving the roads, especially a motorway is allowed

Given some of the sentiments expressed in this thread, I thought I'd share my experience this morning of driving over the Rhygos mountain in the dark with no road lights to guide me apart from the, not very good, cats eyes in the middle of the road. I make the journey once a week and stick to the 40 mph speed limit in force for about eighty per cent of the journey between Treherbert and Hirwaun, so I'd be breaking the speed limit if I drove two or three mph faster.

This morning, the journey was made worse by steady rain and the fact that my windscreen demisters always take ages to start having an effect. Although I've made the journey plenty of times now and so know the route well, it was harder than normal to see clearly this morning and so I was sometimes slowing to about 30mph, but there was never any one behind me at the time.

By the time someone quickly appeared behind me, the visibility problem had gone and so I was driving steadily at 40 mph (i.e. the speed limit for the road). This didn't stop the driver behind me flashing their lights at me and roaring past me as soon as the road was clear.

By now, I was close to the part of the road which is being repaired after what might be called a mini avalanche last year where it narrows to one lane which is controlled by traffic lights. I saw the car that had overtaken me drive through a red light and, having stopped myself at the lights, the three vehicles behind me went past me to drive through the same red light. Besides this, as is always the case when I drove along this road at 40 mph, I was overtaken by three or four vehicles as a matter of course - it makes you feel like someone driving 40 mph on a motorway.

On the return journey, I was approaching a roundabout where I was turning right, so I indicated to pull into the outside line and did so when I was about one fifty yards from the roundabout. Again, I was doing about 40 mph at the time, but this didn't stop a car behind me overtaking me on the inside and then cutting in front of me about seventy yards from the roundabout.

Can I ask those getting in such a state about the 20 mph speed limit what they think about all of the law breakers I saw out on the road this morning? Strictly speaking, I'd say about 50 per cent of the drivers I encountered this morning were clearly breaking driving laws and this doesn't include those, myself included, who were driving at about 25 mph in the one 20 mph zone I encountered on that journey from Treherbert to Hirwaun.

It seems to me that petitioning and demonstrating for something to be done about the approach of the law breakers I experienced this morning would be something for those making such an issue about the reduction of a speed limit to get involved with, but, of course, there's no party political element involved there is there.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Nonsense everyone doesn't get it, it's only for school kids

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I’d get that, but as a few on this board will tell you, EVERYONE is already talking about it non stop. Surely there’s no point getting people talking and raising awareness to an issue which everyone bar none is already talking about because it’s damaged their lives irreparably. So I’m back to wondering what the point is.

I wonder if they’ll get half a million joining this protest given it’s so important to the majority of Wales. Or will it be about 20 old timers shaking their fists. Only time will tell.

Have to agree though that I’m very surprised any protest involving the roads, especially a motorway is allowed
    It's pointless I wouldn't join unless it was affecting the decision makers blocking their streets or something.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given some of the sentiments expressed in this thread, I thought I'd share my experience this morning of driving over the Rhygos mountain in the dark with no road lights to guide me apart from the, not very good, cats eyes in the middle of the road. I make the journey once a week and stick to the 40 mph speed limit in force for about eighty per cent of the journey between Treherbert and Hirwaun, so I'd be breaking the speed limit if I drove two or three mph faster.

This morning, the journey was made worse by steady rain and the fact that my windscreen demisters always take ages to start having an effect. Although I've made the journey plenty of times now and so know the route well, it was harder than normal to see clearly this morning and so I was sometimes slowing to about 30mph, but there was never any one behind me at the time.

By the time someone quickly appeared behind me, the visibility problem had gone and so I was driving steadily at 40 mph (i.e. the speed limit for the road). This didn't stop the driver behind me flashing their lights at me and roaring past me as soon as the road was clear.

By now, I was close to the part of the road which is being repaired after what might be called a mini avalanche last year where it narrows to one lane which is controlled by traffic lights. I saw the car that had overtaken me drive through a red light and, having stopped myself at the lights, the three vehicles behind me went past me to drive through the same red light. Besides this, as is always the case when I drove along this road at 40 mph, I was overtaken by three or four vehicles as a matter of course - it makes you feel like someone driving 40 mph on a motorway.

On the return journey, I was approaching a roundabout where I was turning right, so I indicated to pull into the outside line and did so when I was about one fifty yards from the roundabout. Again, I was doing about 40 mph at the time, but this didn't stop a car behind me overtaking me on the inside and then cutting in front of me about seventy yards from the roundabout.

Can I ask those getting in such a state about the 20 mph speed limit what they think about all of the law breakers I saw out on the road this morning? Strictly speaking, I'd say about 50 per cent of the drivers I encountered this morning were clearly breaking driving laws and this doesn't include those, myself included, who were driving at about 25 mph in the one 20 mph zone I encountered on that journey from Treherbert to Hirwaun.

It seems to me that petitioning and demonstrating for something to be done about the approach of the law breakers I experienced this morning would be something for those making such an issue about the reduction of a speed limit to get involved with, but, of course, there's no party political element involved there is there.
    You’ve explained it perfectly, if a law is unenforceable, what is the point of that law ?

International

I don't know the road and it sounds like you were talking suitable care and caution where it was needed, there is nothing wrong with that, I drive much slower than most people through double parked cars, as I have previously seen doors open and children walk out between the gaps.

It sounds like you are more cautious or sensible than the majority of road users on that section of the road. I would ignore them, some are probably a bit daft, but some sound reckless, and if they don't calm down we will see their smashed-up cars on the next series of The Crash Detectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Poor you.

Car wanker
    So you have not got a car then have you , or never used one ?

Sounds as if you’re overlooking the fact that the policy is being funded at the expense of other more important issues -

And I’m not poor either , but thanks for your concern

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    WTF are you on about , not everyone gets FSM at present and the WAG refused to sanction FSM during half term ( summer holidays)

Had reason to drive to Tongwynlais this morning, 20mph for about 5 minutes, then 50 down to
    40 on Eastern Avenue, 30 on Manor Way, 50 on the A470 culminating in 20 in downtown Tongwynlais. Where is the 20mph blanket law that some keep banging on about the areas that were 20 were sensibly categorised I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Had reason to drive to Tongwynlais this morning, 20mph for about 5 minutes, then 50 down to
    40 on Eastern Avenue, 30 on Manor Way, 50 on the A470 culminating in 20 in downtown Tongwynlais. Where is the 20mph blanket law that some keep banging on about the areas that were 20 were sensibly categorised I reckon.
    It's only the boy racers who would object

It's probably already been mentioned but I'm sure everyone taking part will be arrested and charged in line with Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil's motorway protests. Priti Patel would expect nothing less surely ?

Wouldn't want to suggest that perhaps drivers aren't the most oppressed group in this country and will instead get told gently to 'stop being a d#ck' and be allowed to move on peacefully.

Well I have to admit what you said there Bob kind of summarises my feeling on the whole 20mph thing. It's not the speed limit that's the issue, it's the dickish other drivers

My view is that the positive thing about the 20 mph issue is that MOST people seem to be more aware of their speed and are cutting down to 25 ish in 20 mph areas

That's got to be a good thing

However criminalising loads of drivers who are driving 26 mph in an area they used to drive at 33 , 34 is complete nonsense

At the end of the day if you are in a town centre or outside a school you should slowly be getting the message that you need to drop your speed which is surely the best end result ?

Ultimately if you are intent on doing say 28 mph outside a school and you kill a child then you can't really have a defence......but speed cameras doing the same driver travelling at 28 mph through a town centre at 4 in the morning with no body about ....it all seems destined to piss a lot of people off

I really can't see where it's all going to go and I think drakeford has messed up here and the sooner he steps down the better

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My view is that the positive thing about the 20 mph issue is that MOST people seem to be more aware of their speed and are cutting down to 25 ish in 20 mph areas

That's got to be a good thing

However criminalising loads of drivers who are driving 26 mph in an area they used to drive at 33 , 34 is complete nonsense

At the end of the day if you are in a town centre or outside a school you should slowly be getting the message that you need to drop your speed which is surely the best end result ?

Ultimately if you are intent on doing say 28 mph outside a school and you kill a child then you can't really have a defence......but speed cameras doing the same driver travelling at 28 mph through a town centre at 4 in the morning with no body about ....it all seems destined to piss a lot of people off

I really can't see where it's all going to go and I think drakeford has messed up here and the sooner he steps down the better
    your on the same wave length as me sludge regarding this issue

think Drakeford is going to get a bloody nose at the next election

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    your on the same wave length as me sludge regarding this issue

think Drakeford is going to get a bloody nose at the next election
    When is the next election for the assembly?

I wish he would fall on his sword now he's causing a lot of damage

[QUOTE=splott parker;5464277]Had reason to drive to Tongwynlais this morning, 20mph for about 5 minutes, then 50 down to
    40 on Eastern Avenue, 30 on Manor Way, 50 on the A470 culminating in 20 in downtown Tongwynlais. Where is the 20mph blanket law that some keep banging on about the areas that were 20 were sensibly categorised I reckon.[/QUOT

Spot on - I drive quite a lot and the thing that strikes me more is those drivers who are unaware of the speed limits and choose to drive 20 in a 30 and 40 when the signage is crystal clear - this equally applies to drivers who speed and puts others in danger

Drivers are at fault here and not the policy.

He will be gone in the new year - never intended to serve a full term - stated this at the start of this government

Next elections are in 2025 I think and if you think there is other talent waiting in the wings then you are mistaken!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    He will be gone in the new year - never intended to serve a full term - stated this at the start of this government

Next elections are in 2025 I think and if you think there is other talent waiting in the wings then you are mistaken!!!!
    Talent

Drippy
    Born Guessing
    Elenud

they are great at picking talent

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Talent

Drippy
    Born Guessing
    Elenud

At the moment I reckon you could say that about all parties in Wales and England.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Talent

Drippy
    Born Guessing
    Elenud

I was hoping someone would pick that up and I agree with Eric below there is nothing in any politician across the UK they are all self serving winkers - we are truly fecked for years to come

Out of interest while on this topic, as I’d say there’s a fair split on this board of a)they hate 20 so much it’s taken over their lives b) it’s slowing
    People so it’s fine and c) meh

Is there anyone on here who would prefer it to be 30 than 20 outside your house?

just remembered pretty sure someone mentioned here recently he was going to retire soon ?