+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Re: Things Us Old Farts Miss

At the risk of taking the thread back in a former direction, remember when blue tits used to peck their way though the foil milk bottle tops and start drinking what the milkman had delivered?

Also, I can remember getting told off something rotten by my parents when I either lost or forgot the green Shield stamps from a fairly big shop they’d sent me on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At the risk of taking the thread back in a former direction, remember when blue tits used to peck their way though the foil milk bottle tops and start drinking what the milkman had delivered?

Also, I can remember getting told off something rotten by my parents when I either lost or forgot the green Shield stamps from a fairly big shop they’d sent me on.
    I lived in Garnlydan during the 1963 winter - bluetits didn't need to peck through the foil - the milk and cream had frozen and a small column of cream pushed the foil up an inch or so.

International

the 'Pink' on a Saturday evening when you could read how shite (or not) your competitors had played.

Listening to the results on a Saturday evening with Dad marking his pools coupon. club names from Scotland that seemed so exotic and far away, like Hamilton Academicals. Even when I think of it now it reminds me of hot home made rice pudding.

Sittiing on the gate post listening to the roar of the Crowd in the old Arms Park to guess if Wales had scored. There was a lot less traffic in the 50s and the sound travelled up the river. (NB. I'm talking about the old old stadium with the wooden north stand.
    The green grocer calling with his horse and cart 2 or 3 times a week. (Ours was Wallt Self)

1/3rd pint bottles at primary school, with cardboard tops, left in crates in the playground, when it was cold, the tops used to get pushed off.

FA Cup draw on a Monday, all gathering around the wireless

Defenders who cleared the ball up the field, not passing straight to an attacker to score.

You barely see milkmen these days, but they’re still around whereas I thought coalmen had been consigned to history books decades ago. However, I saw a lorry delivering coal to houses as recently as Monday - it must have been the 80s when I saw one before that.

International

Being able to drive around freely without 20mph, bus lanes, coppers with speed guns, speed cameras, speed bumps and doddering idiots plodding up and down the road.

Being able to go to A&E and see someone in an hour, not wait in there for twenty-four hours.

milk and papers delivered early morning (I did a paper round myself - got up at 5:30 Not allowed now)
    Baker van, Butcher van and "pop lorry" coming around every week.
    Dad pulling into a petrol station and getting a pounds-worth of petrol - virtually filled the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    milk and papers delivered early morning (I did a paper round myself - got up at 5:30 Not allowed now)
    Baker van, Butcher van and "pop lorry" coming around every week.
    Dad pulling into a petrol station and getting a pounds-worth of petrol - virtually filled the tank.
    My grandchildren won't believe me but when I first started driving (1968) I could buy 3 gallons of petrol for £1. That's equivalent to 7p per litre today!

Whilst on the topic of petrol prices, do any other old timers still think in gallons not litres? When you see local prices of about £1.55 a litre and motorway petrol station prices of £1.85 a litre 30p difference doesn't sound that bad until you think that's roughly £1.35 per gallon more!

My pal went out with a Geordie lasd who was planning on getting a tattoo of Bob Dwyer. We asked who the hell he was turned out she meant barbed wire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    My grandchildren won't believe me but when I first started driving (1968) I could buy 3 gallons of petrol for £1. That's equivalent to 7p per litre today!

Whilst on the topic of petrol prices, do any other old timers still think in gallons not litres? When you see local prices of about £1.55 a litre and motorway petrol station prices of £1.85 a litre 30p difference doesn't sound that bad until you think that's roughly £1.35 per gallon more!
    I remember getting petrol in the 80s at about £1:60 a gallon - it's close to that per litre now!

I remember during the oil crisis in 1973, people were complaining that as petrol had gone up to 55p they could no longer get two gallons for a quid.

First Team

My knees.
    That said the replacements are a relief from the pain of the originals.
    On a less serious note.
    The ability to stay up after 10PM.
    The FA Cup draw on the radio.
    Sports night with Harry Carpenter.
    The Big Match with Brian Moore.
    Recovery from a hangover within a reasonable time
    Being able to understand what is being said on TV programmes.

Not being able to ask the new apprentice to go to the stores for long weight and a sky hook.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Not being able to ask the new apprentice to go to the stores for long weight and a sky hook.
    The best one I ever herd as 'A 3/4 ton dipstick'.

Alpine pop lorries
    Tolls on both sides of the Severn Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The best one I ever herd as 'A 3/4 ton dipstick'.

A tin of striped paint to paint a barber’s pole

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Being able to drive around freely without 20mph, bus lanes, coppers with speed guns, speed cameras, speed bumps and doddering idiots plodding up and down the road.

Being able to go to A&E and see someone in an hour, not wait in there for twenty-four hours.
    I like the link you made there.

I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the post I made at the top of page 2 of this thread.

My grandchildren won't believe me but when I first started driving (1968) I could buy 3 gallons of petrol for £1...
    I remember a day (maybe in 1968) petrol at the local station went up 4d to 6/8 and working out that that was a third of a pound.

Lying on my bed on a Sunday afternoon, hoping 'The Clitheroe Kid' on the 'wireless' would finish before mum called me down for our standard Sunday dinner of minty roast lamb, roasties, Yorkshire pudding and mushy peas swimming in gravy. And they say there's no such thing as British cuisine.

Not being able to rob the rent man, could you imagine a geezer wandering around the estates with a leather Apron collecting cash at the door, a fkin death sentence in today's society 😂, also having to hide in the house and pretend no one is at home because the old man had pissed the rent up against the wall, today's yoof will never understand what it was like getting dragged up on a sink estate. 😂 It was actually good fun because all your neighbour's were in the same boat we all had ****k all, it was only at school you realised that some were better off, it was generally the kids who didn't have odd socks you could pigeon hole as rich.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    I remember a day (maybe in 1968) petrol at the local station went up 4d to 6/8 and working out that that was a third of a pound.
    I remember my old man saying, ‘When I can’t get four pints for a pound, I’m wrapping in drinking’.

Not being able to rob the rent man, could you imagine a geezer wandering around the estates with a leather Apron collecting cash at the door, a fkin death sentence in today's society 😂, also having to hide in the house and pretend no one is at home because the old man had pissed the rent up against the wall, today's yoof will never understand what it was like getting dragged up on a sink estate. 😂 It was actually good fun because all your neighbour's were in the same boat we all had ****k all, it was only at school you realised that some were better off, it was generally the kids who didn't have odd socks you could pigeon hole as rich.
    The rent man!
    I can remember my mother telling us to be quiet and don't move as he knocked the front door.
    He'd actually look through the living-room window to see if anyone was home, but we had 'nets' on the windows
    It didn't seem that abnormal at the time to avoid the rentman. I think a lot of families were in my same situation.