+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY tips you've picked up over the years.

DIY tips you've picked up over the years.

One I learnt recently is that WD40 removes expanding foam.

Another is that putting a screw in the end of a mastic nozzle after use keeps it dry. 👍

Re: DIY tips you've picked up over the years.

Fairy Liquid better than oil for squeaky door hinges

Tie your paint brushes in a carrier bag and they don’t go hard for the next day

To clean burnt cast iron or stainless steel / saucepans fill with boiling water and add a dishwasher tablet and simmer for 15 minutes

Get someone else to do it before you get a bollocking for fecking it up by the Mrs

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Get someone else to do it before you get a bollocking for fecking it up by the Mrs
    I get a few calls a year asking me to sort out peoples **** ups, and i mean real **** ups. It's good though that people have a go themselves, but we should all know our limits

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

Another is that putting a screw in the end of a mastic nozzle after use keeps it dry. 👍
    Best tip I've learned is to get the appropriate trades person for the job in hand, I do like the reels on FB and the numerous hacks demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

Another is that putting a screw in the end of a mastic nozzle after use keeps it dry. ��
    WD 40 sorts out squeaky floorboards out.Spray between the gaps,best done when there is no flooring down.
    I do agree with getting someone esle to do the job.

When changing a light switch it's best to turn off the power before starting the job.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The best advice.

This time of year and one rad isn’t coming on in house…..turn all the others off in house and wack the heating on full blast, if that doesn’t clear the air lock then tap the blocked rad by the valve with a hammer, this usually sorts it out…..although hit it too hard and you’ll be in a world of sh*t….cost me £50 about 20 yrs ago and 5 mins of a plumbers time.

DON'T

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I get a few calls a year asking me to sort out peoples **** ups, and i mean real **** ups. It's good though that people have a go themselves, but we should all know our limits
    This. Also, take your time and know when to pack it in. I've seen people try to rush, get it all done in one day, work too long and it just gets sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. Also, take your time and know when to pack it in. I've seen people try to rush, get it all done in one day, work too long and it just gets sloppy.
    You're spot on with that. Something i learnt as i got older. The more tired and fatigued you get, the quality suffers, and when you have to come back in the next morning and look at a pile of shit on display it's embarrassing. Slow down, compose yourself.....

..if you can get a tradesman to come that is! They’re all too busy!

Here’s one: furniture polish to get rid of glue residue from stickers - eg on the base of a glass or a cd box.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    ..if you can get a tradesman to come that is! They’re all too busy!

Here’s one: furniture polish to get rid of glue residue from stickers - eg on the base of a glass or a cd box.
    It’s not diy but a hack my mrs fascinated me with, aspirin cleans all the crap off the bottom of an iron

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    It’s not diy but a hack my mrs fascinated me with, aspirin cleans all the crap off the bottom of an iron
    Wow. That's amazing. I wonder if works on glass stove tops.

Put your time and effort into building a career that pays loads of money, then pay someone else to do your DIY. And cleaning.

Does anyone use wallpaper these days?
    Work from 2 rolls - it saves wastage when matching the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Wow. That's amazing. I wonder if works on glass stove tops.
    I can’t vouch for it but If you try please keep us updated

If you can't undo a screw turn it as if to tighten it, then it often becomes easier to remove. Also when washing out brushes [with emulsion etc] tap a couple of holes with a nail into the body of the brush - that way the water will run out completely and not leave you with watery paint..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If you can't undo a screw turn it as if to tighten it, then it often becomes easier to remove. Also when washing out brushes [with emulsion etc] tap a couple of holes with a nail into the body of the brush - that way the water will run out completely and not leave you with watery paint..
    Through the thin tin that holds the bristles together?

If you can afford it, always get a proper decorator in. When the kids were small and money was tight, I’d do my own wallpapering after work. Up stepladders at a ridiculous time of night, fagged out. Coming home from work next day, looking up and noticing a shite bit of trimming, tear it down and start again, false economy. When I could afford it, it was great leaving for work in the morning and the decorator coming in, getting home from work, he’d gone, the job done and I could have my tea in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Fairy Liquid better than oil for squeaky door hinges
    If your cutting timber and the saw in jamming a bit, run two streaks of Fairy Liquid either side of the blade, it goes like shit off a shovel then.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I can’t vouch for it but If you try please keep us updated
    Does it have to be soluble Aspirin?