+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did the best team win the Rugby World Cup?

Re: Did the best team win the Rugby World Cup?

Not for me.
    NZ tried to play the game as it was intended many years ago, SA just spoiled.

SA lucky that NZ didn't have a Grant Fox or a Dan Carter.
    Two simple game defining kicks missed.

The final just proved what I and others have said in the past, too many rules which nobody understands and the side who plays to those stupid rules better wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Of course they are and everything points to they should never be close.

Be glad they punch above their weight.

Oh no you can't because your PE teacher made you do rugby.
    Thankfully most schools seem to offer a wider variety of sports than years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    don't think st ilttyds high school has/had many public school boys in amongst there ranks

ask dai bishop !
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not for me.
    NZ tried to play the game as it was intended many years ago, SA just spoiled.

SA lucky that NZ didn't have a Grant Fox or a Dan Carter.
    Two simple game defining kicks missed.

The final just proved what I and others have said in the past, too many rules which nobody understands and the side who plays to those stupid rules better wins.
    Agree, these rules often seem so petty and nit picking besides being incomprehensible to your average spectator. There's so much rule play that it tends to interfere with free flowing rugby which, when allowed, is a joy to watch.

First Team

I'm going say that the best team probably did.
    Certainly not the most exciting, naturally talented or adventurous.
    However, the most physical, determinted organised and technical, in my view .
    They came through the toughest side of the draw, beat two of the three other betting favourites and dug themselves out of a hole in the semi final,despite playing poorly.
    Regardless of your view ,it is often said that the best teams find ways to win and this lot can certainly claim that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    They came through the toughest side of the draw, beat two of the three other betting favourites and dug themselves out of a hole in the semi final,despite playing poorly.
    Regardless of your view ,it is often said that the best teams find ways to win and this lot can certainly claim that title.
    Totally agree with you, you're absolutely spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

They had the fortune. Any win by one point means that the opposition were just one successful kick away from snatching it, and they had three single point wins in a row. But that's the game, you gotta take the points and the South Africans took theirs better than the opposition (which they didn't do in the 8-13 defeat to Ireland).

It doesn't mean they were lucky winners though. They came through and deserved it.

We narrowly beat QPR in 2003 to get to the championship after 17 years away

By one goal

It could have gone either way

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

The Match Officiating team led by Mr Barney’s won that by a wide margin

I do think too many yellow and red cards are dished out nowadays, for what looks like a hard tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I do think too many yellow and red cards are dished out nowadays, for what looks like a hard tackle.
    Probably won't be long before American Football-type headgear will be worn. Understandable in a way because today's rugby players are faster, fitter, more powerful and therefore much more likely to inflict serious injuries on their opponents.

BBC Sport described it as an epic final, it really wasn’t. What it was was a tediously long showcase of everything wrong with modern rugby - no tries for the winning side, no running rugby, red cards ruining the game for fractional errors of judgment, interminable scrums, incomprehensible rules, penalties for nothing.

There is a really great sport somewhere in there but rugby is disappearing up its own arse if anyone thinks that was an epic contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    BBC Sport described it as an epic final, it really wasn’t. What it was was a tediously long showcase of everything wrong with modern rugby - no tries for the winning side, no running rugby, red cards ruining the game for fractional errors of judgment, interminable scrums, incomprehensible rules, penalties for nothing.

There is a really great sport somewhere in there but rugby is disappearing up its own arse if anyone thinks that was an epic contest.
    Sums it up perfectly. Rugby union is a great sport. But currently it is killing itself. Out of all the good points you make, the penalties for nothing is the biggest issue. Let the players play. The fact that SA win by being best at stifling the opponent and being most courteous to the referee just shows what a nonsense it has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thankfully most schools seem to offer a wider variety of sports than years ago.
    Only because they are scrutinised more

The vast majority of school sports teachers in South Wales are rugby and are products of the teacher training sports institutes

We would have a far better pool of local footballers if youngsters with potential were given more attention .....unlike the rugby talent .....but so many of them drift or if they show flair for football and rugby they get channelled into rugby

The game of rugby itself is a good sport its all the cobblers from cradle to grave that's a load of crap

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Thing is rugby is a game for people of all shapes and sizes.

Should be perfect for you.
    Anything but these days all players have become supreme athletes which sadly is killing the game especially when subs are allowed in such numbers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Why is the tmo in rugby far better than the chuckle brothers up in the stand in football ?
    What was the difference between the red card offense to the yellow only one

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    What was the difference between the red card offense to the yellow only one
    They said the south Africa yellow involved the player hitting the man lower and with more control of his challenge ?

But the Kiwi was reckless and higher and not in control therfore red ?

They said the south Africa yellow involved the player hitting the man lower and with more control of his challenge ?

But the Kiwi was reckless and higher and not in control therfore red ?
    I guess it's hearing what they are saying that makes a big difference then.

I can't do it fairly without preconceived choices but imagine that without hearing them telling me there's a difference I wouldn't class them as different!!

Clear as mud!!!!
    In football though I rarely need telling the problem I can instantly make the judgement myself and often think what a shit decision. In rugby they tell us first so it's harder to disagree with

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    I guess it's hearing what they are saying that makes a big difference then.

I can't do it fairly without preconceived choices but imagine that without hearing them telling me there's a difference I wouldn't class them as different!!

Clear as mud!!!!
    In football though I rarely need telling the problem I can instantly make the judgement myself and often think what a shit decision. In rugby they tell us first so it's harder to disagree with

And yet in the Wales game the shoulder to head shot wasn’t even a pelanty

Have to agree that both The hosts and Ireland missed an opportunity to put a new name on the trophy.
    Think NZ’s ill discipline and a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes cost them dear.
    They were the better team even when down to 14.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Don't care
    Great input to the thread 👍

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Great input to the thread 👍
    That's one of his more insightful inputs.

I watched it in a boozer in town, not a great view as the TV wasn't very big, thought the red card was harsh and effectively killed the game, NZ didn't really go for it until they had to, IMO would have won with the 15 on the pitch, didn't seem a very good game for a final but to answer he question I'm not sure!!, we changed our plans for the evening, a few weeks ago originally we were going to see the Aussie Pink Floyd, in hindsight wish we didn't change our plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I watched it in a boozer in town, not a great view as the TV wasn't very big, thought the red card was harsh and effectively killed the game, NZ didn't really go for it until they had to, IMO would have won with the 15 on the pitch, didn't seem a very good game for a final but to answer he question I'm not sure!!, we changed our plans for the evening, a few weeks ago originally we were going to see the Aussie Pink Floyd, in hindsight wish we didn't change our plans.
    The Australian Pink Floyd is note perfect

The Australian Pink Floyd is note perfect
    Agree, i have seen them previously, another disappointment last night was the meal in the Madeira, went there three weeks ago as well, it's gone down IMO, fatty meat, portions shrinking, my lad went to Porto's he said it was decent and around the same prices so will go there next time, Dan did 2 sets in the Brewhouse last night and we couldn't get in there either as it was packed and didn't want to queue
    AV it

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Agree, i have seen them previously, another disappointment last night was the meal in the Madeira, went there three weeks ago as well, it's gone down IMO, fatty meat, portions shrinking, my lad went to Porto's he said it was decent and around the same prices so will go there next time, Dan did 2 sets in the Brewhouse last night and we couldn't get in there either as it was packed and didn't want to queue
    AV it
    She's got a nice voice

He's got a bit of Peter Gabriel going on

Good sound