+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: "From the river to the sea" chant

"From the river to the sea" chant

Not really on is it? I feel deeply uncomfortable and pretty sad about that being chanted so widely on the streets of Britain.

Re: "From the river to the sea" chant

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Not really on is it? I feel deeply uncomfortable and pretty sad about that being chanted so widely on the streets of Britain.
    Well it depends on your perspective

People who want a free Palestine sing it in support of those in gaza

People who are anti Semitic......very different to being pro Palestine and sometimes sing it to intimidate people of Jewish origin

The press have jumped on the song as a reflection of the latter

But that's not a correct conclusion in many cases

Well you shouldn't.

https://www.voice.wales/from-the-riv...for-palestine/

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well it depends on your perspective

People who want a free Palestine sing it in support of those in gaza

People who are anti Semitic......very different to being pro Palestine and sometimes sing it to intimidate people of Jewish origin

The press have jumped on the song as a reflection of the latter

But that's not a correct conclusion in many cases
    The press have jumped on just about anything that doesn’t back Israel’s right to pulverise the Gaza Strip and everything/everyone in it, innocent or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The press have jumped on just about anything that doesn’t back Israel’s right to pulverise the Gaza Strip and everything/everyone in it, innocent or not.
    Absolutely right and it's sickening

Man United fans used to sing something similar back in the day..."From the banks of the river Irwell.."

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I know who Adam Johannes is. He's a nice guy, American I think, but basically at the forefront of every left-wing protest in Cardiff, so I'm not sure his interpretation is the one everyone uses.

To me it's hard not to view it as proposing the end of Israel, which puts it on the same par as those who want to see the end of Palestine for me.

Maybe it's just unfortunate wording, but I think it's uncomfortable listening to that being chanted so widely. Doesn't help.

I think it's very sad when a certain cohort of people get themselves in a lather over mere words borne out of repression and enforced misery yet appear strangely unmoved by the images of defenseless innocents being routinely slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think it's very sad when a certain cohort of people get themselves in a lather over mere words borne out of repression and enforced misery yet appear strangely unmoved by the images of defenseless innocents being routinely slaughtered.
    I suspected you wouldn't get it.

I suspected you wouldn't get it.
    No I think you rather feared I would: and you'd be correct to be nervous.

I know who Adam Johannes is. He's a nice guy, American I think, but basically at the forefront of every left-wing protest in Cardiff, so I'm not sure his interpretation is the one everyone uses.

To me it's hard not to view it as proposing the end of Israel, which puts it on the same par as those who want to see the end of Palestine for me.

Maybe it's just unfortunate wording, but I think it's uncomfortable listening to that being chanted so widely. Doesn't help.
    If Israel continue to bomb its going to get louder

In some ways it's all that people have got

I am more concerned about the bombing of hospitals and people in convoys heading south , following instructions from Israel

Far worse than what you describe as an unpleasant chant

I mean you are joking ?

If Israel continue to bomb its going to get louder

In some ways it's all that people have got

I am more concerned about the bombing of hospitals and people in convoys heading south , following instructions from Israel

Far worse than what you describe as an unpleasant chant

I mean you are joking ?
    Sludge is your lack of self awareness such that you don't realise what you spend your time endlessly moaning about on here? There are always far more important things, so you don't get to play that card, esp when you were fuming about Kay Burley and demanding she be sacked the other day.

The recognised solution here is a two-state solution. Chants like this don't remotely help achieve that, and they also are more likely to be used by Israel to justify what they are doing.

It's gross.

Sludge is your lack of self awareness such that you don't realise what you spend your time endlessly moaning about on here? There are always far more important things, so you don't get to play that card, esp when you were fuming about Kay Burley and demanding she be sacked the other day.

The recognised solution here is a two-state solution. Chants like this don't remotely help achieve that, and they also are more likely to be used by Israel to justify what they are doing.

It's gross.
    James that's pretty lame, even by your standards.

It's not though is it. It's pretty accurate.

It's gross.
    “Between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty”

Part of the Likud Party charter.

I'd suggest that's more of a hindrance to a two party state than woke lefties chanting something in London?

It's nothing of the sort. It reflects the innate vacuum of understanding of someone who has a "beginners guide" level of knowledge of the conflict and a cosy innate racism which doesn't allow true appreciation of the issue. Still, I'm sorry you were offended over your Pimm's soiree, maybe it would be an idea to avoid challenging news at the moment.

It's not widely being chanted stop your fussing

Deeply uncomfortable ?

Worldwide pressure might stop Israel but I very much doubt it , Israel are kicking into war machine mode

Save being deeply uncomfortable as you say for the repercussions of this current madness

Unpleasant chants which are open to interpretation don't kill but Israeli bombs do

Absolutely thousands

It's pathetic

As limp as a soppy stick of celery

Families are being wiped out by bombs not by protest songs

The Jews and Arabs have been killing each other for years and years

It's not widely being chanted stop your fussing

Deeply uncomfortable ?

Worldwide pressure might stop Israel but I very much doubt it , Israel are kicking into war machine mode

Save being deeply uncomfortable as you say for the repercussions of this current madness

Unpleasant chants which are open to interpretation don't kill but Israeli bombs do

Absolutely thousands
    The only thing which would stop Israel would be if the evil USA defunded them and then we'd see them shit themselves confronted with a more even fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    “Between the Sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty”

Part of the Likud Party charter.

I'd suggest that's more of a hindrance to a two party state than woke lefties chanting something in London?
    Exactly the same principle.

It's pathetic

As limp as a soppy stick of celery

Families are being wiped out by bombs not by protest songs

The Jews and Arabs have been killing each other for years and years
    That was happening when you were frothing at the mouth about Kay Burley

Does that mean any chant is okay then?

The only thing which would stop Israel would be if the evil USA defunded them and then we'd see them shit themselves confronted with a more even fight.
    Well essentially it's USA and the British on the sidelines

It's never going to end and the best to hope for is periods of madness interrupted by longer periods of peace

I mean it's good to be optimistic in life but I think it's unrealistic when you have two sides at such loggerheads

It's far more complicated than a few students singing songs and swearing at the police

It's nothing of the sort. It reflects the innate vacuum of understanding of someone who has a "beginners guide" level of knowledge of the conflict and a cosy innate racism which doesn't allow true appreciation of the issue. Still, I'm sorry you were offended over your Pimm's soiree, maybe it would be an idea to avoid challenging news at the moment.
    So mass chanting, viewed as racist by many, and widely viewed as promoting a single Palestinian state is progressive and helps does it?

And yes, mass chanting like that on the streets of Britain is offensive IMO.

USA is evil now. Am starting to see why you are cool with all this..

That was happening when you were frothing at the mouth about Kay Burley

Does that mean any chant is okay then?
    Kay Burley is a prominent TV news anchor who was openly lying in front of millions of viewers and influencing people due to her position

If you can't grip the reality of that then I think you should have a few days off