+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Encounters.

Re: Strange Encounters.

I bought Howard Winstone a pint at Paddington, waiting for a train back to Wales. Really nice bloke.

Bumped into James Dean Bradfield in Brixton.

SFA at Dublin Airport and again in DC.

Jim Rosenthal at Heathrow or Gatwick.

Strangest thought was watching watching a rugby match in a bar in Sydney, chatting to some English fans and the conversation turned to why Welsh fans hate England Rugby so much.
    I mentioned something along the lines that the class differences amongst the participants and said something along the lines of “That Phil de Glanville, for example is a horrible posh, ****”

It turns out I was talking to Phil de Glanville’s Auntie and Uncle.
    After much embarrassment from myself and protestations from them…we realized the ludicrous chances of this happening in a bar on the other side of the world and his uncle bought me a beer.
    They were really nice about it.

Jan Leeming (😍), Bruce Hocking and Alan Taylor. Three names that will only mean anything to posters on here aged 50 onwards. They all worked on SW TV yonks ago, as news readers and TV show hosts.
    When i was a toddler, my Mum and I were entering a shop in Cathays, when Alan Taylor was exiting. He accidentally stood on my foot bringing me to tears. My mum said he couldn’t have been more apologetic, lifted me up and bought me some sweets.
    He also said to my Mum that SW TV were looking for some children to star in some commercials. My mum refused his offer. Pity really, I could have been another milky bar kid !
    On another bizarre moment, Although nothing beats seeing Eder walking through Llanederyn, I went to Glan Ely high school in the late 70’s, and for some strange reason, The Pretenders performed in our school hall.
    They must have been just starting out then.
    I’ve spoken to many ex pupils and teachers from that era, and whilst they can all remember Christie Hind banging out a few tunes, nobody, and I mean nobody knew or knows, the real reason how this impromptu gig came about .

When I was 18 I went to see my chemical romance in Newport with some friends. It was a really icy day and we stopped at the lights waiting to cross the road.

As I got to the lights I slipped on some ice, I got up and turned around to see who saw me fall.

Mick Foley/mankind/cactus Jack from WWE was standing behind me. I asked him what he thought of Newport, he said 'it's ok'

He was there for a wrestling show.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    When I was 18 I went to see my chemical romance in Newport with some friends. It was a really icy day and we stopped at the lights waiting to cross the road.

As I got to the lights I slipped on some ice, I got up and turned around to see who saw me fall.

Mick Foley/mankind/cactus Jack from WWE was standing behind me. I asked him what he thought of Newport, he said 'it's ok'

He was there for a wrestling show.

Do you end up in the kitchen at house parties ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Do you end up in the kitchen at house parties ?
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I bought Howard Winstone a pint at Paddington, waiting for a train back to Wales. Really nice bloke.

Bumped into James Dean Bradfield in Brixton.

SFA at Dublin Airport and again in DC.

Jim Rosenthal at Heathrow or Gatwick.

Strangest thought was watching watching a rugby match in a bar in Sydney, chatting to some English fans and the conversation turned to why Welsh fans hate England Rugby so much.
    I mentioned something along the lines that the class differences amongst the participants and said something along the lines of “That Phil de Glanville, for example is a horrible posh, ****”

It turns out I was talking to Phil de Glanville’s Auntie and Uncle.
    After much embarrassment from myself and protestations from them…we realized the ludicrous chances of this happening in a bar on the other side of the world and his uncle bought me a beer.
    They were really nice about it.
    Who is Howard Winstone?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Who is Howard Winstone?
    Welsh Featherweight Boxer of days gone by. The Welsh Wizard !

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Welsh Featherweight Boxer of days gone by. The Welsh Wizard !
    World Champion no less. Used to listen to his fights on the radio back in the day.

I spoke to Marlene Dietrich in Greyfriars Road

Loads . too many to mention. but a few AHa Meat loaf half of duran duran, Robert plant, George michael, Dollar...just loads. I was in the music business tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I spoke to Eric Sykes on Greyfriars, bugger couldn’t hear me, deaf as a piss pot.

Chatted for about 20 minutes with John Ratzenberger before he gave a presentation on the importance of encouraging kids to enter the trades. He told me that long before he won fame on 'Cheers,' he performed in the working men's clubs in the South Wales valleys as a standup comic. Happy memories of good people, he said.

Three sightings of James Dean Bradfield in this thread. He must be quite the man about town.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I spoke to Eric Sykes on Greyfriars, bugger couldn’t hear me, deaf as a piss pot.
    Yes, I remember that his glasses were a deaf aid and nothing to do with his eyesight

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I read the biography, written by her daughter. A bizarre, tremendously talented actress and singer with a wild lifestyle whose last years were plagued with the physical indignities common to people who make it to 90. Magnificent with Spencer Tracy in 'Judgment at Nuremberg.' Why was she in Cardiff? What did you say to her?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    I read the biography, written by her daughter. A bizarre, tremendously talented actress and singer with a wild lifestyle whose last years were plagued with the physical indignities common to people who make it to 90. Magnificent with Spencer Tracy in 'Judgment at Nuremberg.' Why was she in Cardiff? What did you say to her?
    She was doing a one woman show in the New Theatre. I was working in the Treasurers Dept in the City Hall and I was sent on an errand to the New Theatre. As I was leaving the stage door she was arriving with her entourage presumably to check up in readiness for the evening show. I said “Welcome to Cardiff” she said “Thank you”. Hardly a riveting conversation but I have spoken to one of the greats of the silver screen.

Chatted for about 20 minutes with John Ratzenberger before he gave a presentation on the importance of encouraging kids to enter the trades. He told me that long before he won fame on 'Cheers,' he performed in the working men's clubs in the South Wales valleys as a standup comic. Happy memories of good people, he said.
    I used to love Cheers and Cliff Clavin was one of my favourite characters. Apparently John R approached the producers and asked them if they had a know-all character in the script. They thought it was a great idea and the rest us history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Three sightings of James Dean Bradfield in this thread. He must be quite the man about town.
    He was out in womamby by street ( model inn, city arms, welsh club, dog n duck) every night of the week at the height of their fame, as was all the SFA….no one used to bother them as it was so usual….

Saw Rolf Harris once on a dark street in king cross sydney around 1991, he looked shifty but said g’day…..30 yrs later I think I know why he was hanging around that particular sketchy part of KC, rent boys and trannies abound….it wasn’t for the faint hearted

Judgment at Nuremberg - great film.

Harrison Ford had a meal at my daughters pub nr Royston, Herts..posed for pics etc.

I organised a fundraiser for LATCH on Cwmbran Park.City v Cwmbran Celtic.Frank Burrows was the manager but watched the game from the tree area of the park.I went up to him thanked him and asked if Terry Boyle was signing.He replied read the newspapers tomorrow.

Off the top of my shiny head

Flew home from Faro a few years ago and Bonnie Tyler was on the flight.

Been backstage at several Manics / Stereophonics gigs. My lads have their pics taken with various band members.

Was backstage at Reading Festival with both my boys meeting Metallica.

Michael Sheen in the aftershow at Swansea when Manics played a pre 2016 Wales Euro gig. Quick hello with Stuart Maconie in the bar as well.

Met Nick Helm back stage at Download Festival.

Flew home from Los Angeles sat next to Ian Feuer's mum.

Had a chat with Jonny Owen and Vicky McClure in Bordeaux 2016

In 1999 I had a season ticket for the directors box at CCFC. Was on talking terms with Ronnie Bird.

Went to players bar and had a pint with Razor Ruddock.

Went to Los Angeles in 2018 and was in a room with Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants) and Kristen Schaal (Last Man on Earth, What We Do In The Shadows - have her autograph on a script)

Hospitality box at the opening game of the 1999 Rugby world cup in Cardiff. Met weathergirl Sian Lloyd. (and sat next to a senior politician but I can't remember who he was)

Hospitality box for the 2008 FA Cup final

Played football with Andy Legg and Jeff Eckhardt.

Am friends with Mark Bonner. Worked with him for a while as well

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Off the top of my shiny head

Flew home from Faro a few years ago and Bonnie Tyler was on the flight.

Been backstage at several Manics / Stereophonics gigs. My lads have their pics taken with various band members.

Was backstage at Reading Festival with both my boys meeting Metallica.

Michael Sheen in the aftershow at Swansea when Manics played a pre 2016 Wales Euro gig. Quick hello with Stuart Maconie in the bar as well.

Met Nick Helm back stage at Download Festival.

Flew home from Los Angeles sat next to Ian Feuer's mum.

Had a chat with Jonny Owen and Vicky McClure in Bordeaux 2016

In 1999 I had a season ticket for the directors box at CCFC. Was on talking terms with Ronnie Bird.

Went to players bar and had a pint with Razor Ruddock.

Went to Los Angeles in 2018 and was in a room with Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants) and Kristen Schaal (Last Man on Earth, What We Do In The Shadows - have her autograph on a script)

Hospitality box at the opening game of the 1999 Rugby world cup in Cardiff. Met weathergirl Sian Lloyd. (and sat next to a senior politician but I can't remember who he was)

Hospitality box for the 2008 FA Cup final

Played football with Andy Legg and Jeff Eckhardt.

Am friends with Mark Bonner. Worked with him for a while as well
    And you know Sludge Factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And you know Sludge Factory.
    I'll never quote that as an achievement, an encounter or a pleasure.