+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Strange Encounters.

Re: Strange Encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I'll never quote that as an achievement, an encounter or a pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Saw Rolf Harris once on a dark street in king cross sydney around 1991, he looked shifty but said g’day…..30 yrs later I think I know why he was hanging around that particular sketchy part of KC, rent boys and trannies abound….it wasn’t for the faint hearted
    Question needs to be asked, “what were you doing in that area” ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Off the top of my shiny head

Flew home from Faro a few years ago and Bonnie Tyler was on the flight.

Been backstage at several Manics / Stereophonics gigs. My lads have their pics taken with various band members.

Was backstage at Reading Festival with both my boys meeting Metallica.

Michael Sheen in the aftershow at Swansea when Manics played a pre 2016 Wales Euro gig. Quick hello with Stuart Maconie in the bar as well.

Met Nick Helm back stage at Download Festival.

Flew home from Los Angeles sat next to Ian Feuer's mum.

Had a chat with Jonny Owen and Vicky McClure in Bordeaux 2016

In 1999 I had a season ticket for the directors box at CCFC. Was on talking terms with Ronnie Bird.

Went to players bar and had a pint with Razor Ruddock.

Went to Los Angeles in 2018 and was in a room with Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants) and Kristen Schaal (Last Man on Earth, What We Do In The Shadows - have her autograph on a script)

Hospitality box at the opening game of the 1999 Rugby world cup in Cardiff. Met weathergirl Sian Lloyd. (and sat next to a senior politician but I can't remember who he was)

Hospitality box for the 2008 FA Cup final

Played football with Andy Legg and Jeff Eckhardt.

Am friends with Mark Bonner. Worked with him for a while as well
    To be fair, lots of these aren't strange encounters - it's not unusual to meet a member of the manics while backstage at a manics gig

Went to Sri Lanka a few years ago on holiday and timed it to coincide with England playing a test series there. My older brother and I watched the first test match down in Galle. Strolling around the ground and got chatting to a few people including an elderly couple sat down watching the game. Must have chatted to them both for well over half an hour and as we walked off my brother said: “You know who that was, don’t you?….. Bob Taylor, the old England wicket keeper”

Makes sense given it was during an England game but had no idea whilst we were chatting. Lovely guy along with his wife.

Also walked into a hotel lobby once in Valencia as a teenager and saw Arsenal Wenger and Pat Rice sharing a cup of coffee.

Jerry Springer at Gatwick etc

I spent an academy match chatting with former Welsh international Arron Davies’ dad.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP_93 View Post
    Went to Sri Lanka a few years ago on holiday and timed it to coincide with England playing a test series there. My older brother and I watched the first test match down in Galle. Strolling around the ground and got chatting to a few people including an elderly couple sat down watching the game. Must have chatted to them both for well over half an hour and as we walked off my brother said: “You know who that was, don’t you?….. Bob Taylor, the old England wicket keeper”

Makes sense given it was during an England game but had no idea whilst we were chatting. Lovely guy along with his wife.

Also walked into a hotel lobby once in Valencia as a teenager and saw Arsenal Wenger and Pat Rice sharing a cup of coffee.

Jerry Springer at Gatwick etc
    You'd have thought that Wenger and Rice could have afforded to have their own drinks.

I exchanged a few words with the Dalai Lama in the foyer of the City Hall

The missus dragged me into Uniqlo in Regent Street and as we were leaving I held the door open for Zoe Ball, she said thank you, a very tall girl, especially in heels

I spoke to a very flamboyantly dressed George Melly one lunchtime in Kingsway as I was walking back to walk. He was very happy to chat about the gig he was doing that night.

I spoke to Paul Kossof of Free at a gig in Barry Memorial Hall in 1969. He was off his head.

Chatted to Ann Aston (of Golden Shot fame) in the City Hall. She was the celebrity who was at the opening of a lottery launched by the Council in the 1970s

At a Royal Academy Summer Exhibition I stood next to Dr Miriam Stoppard who was with the extravagantly dressed Marquis of Bath who was with one of his wifelets. He smelled. I moved away

I spoke to a very bored Peter Ustinov at a book signing in Dillons bookshop in Cardiff. He was not getting trampled in the rush !

Dame Helen Mirren accidentally barged into me at Oxford Circus tube station - she apologised.

I saw Ronnie Corbett in Piccadilly and, having heard from my contacts in the New Theatre that he was not anywhere near as pleasant in real life compared to his TV personality I walked past him.

I met Bamber Gascoigne on 2 occasions in his capacity as question master and, on the second occasion ,he had lunch with the contestants. I sat opposite him and his wife. He chatted away, a very interesting and learned person and an absolute delight, you couldn't possibly hope to meet a nicer person.

Early 90s John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools and Horses) was on the same holiday tour as us. When we went to the large Roman Theatre at Jerash on the outskirts of Amman the guide asked if someone from the tour could demonstrate how good the acoustics were by speaking down on the stage. John volunteered.

In the bar at Dyffryn Gardens one evening in the late80s/early 90s I was stood next to the Archbishop Of Canterbury (Robert Runcie). He was getting a drink for Desmond Tutu who was sat in the corner. Turns out it was a big Church of England conference at Dyffryn.

Had eye contact with Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew) once. Resisted telling him I did not believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Question needs to be asked, “what were you doing in that area” ?
    Yeah I figured someone might say that……I was a….a….visiting my mate who lived there….like….
    Was actually my route back from work, took me a while to get used to it and one of the crazy trannys saved me one night from a group of pissed up twats.

Saw Rio Ferdinand at no1 lounge in Gatwick last year, standing next to him at the coffee machine, was tempted to ask him what he thought of ninian park…..

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post

The missus dragged me into Uniqlo in Regent Street and as we were leaving I held the door open for Zoe Ball, she said thank you, a very tall girl, especially in heels

I spoke to a very flamboyantly dressed George Melly one lunchtime in Kingsway as I was walking back to walk. He was very happy to chat about the gig he was doing that night.

I spoke to Paul Kossof of Free at a gig in Barry Memorial Hall in 1969. He was off his head.

Chatted to Ann Aston (of Golden Shot fame) in the City Hall. She was the celebrity who was at the opening of a lottery launched by the Council in the 1970s

At a Royal Academy Summer Exhibition I stood next to Dr Miriam Stoppard who was with the extravagantly dressed Marquis of Bath who was with one of his wifelets. He smelled. I moved away

I spoke to a very bored Peter Ustinov at a book signing in Dillons bookshop in Cardiff. He was not getting trampled in the rush !

Dame Helen Mirren accidentally barged into me at Oxford Circus tube station - she apologised.

I saw Ronnie Corbett in Piccadilly and, having heard from my contacts in the New Theatre that he was not anywhere near as pleasant in real life compared to his TV personality I walked past him.

I met Bamber Gascoigne on 2 occasions in his capacity as question master and, on the second occasion ,he had lunch with the contestants. I sat opposite him and his wife. He chatted away, a very interesting and learned person and an absolute delight, you couldn't possibly hope to meet a nicer person.
    You’re showing off now 😂

She was doing a one woman show in the New Theatre. I was working in the Treasurers Dept in the City Hall and I was sent on an errand to the New Theatre. As I was leaving the stage door she was arriving with her entourage presumably to check up in readiness for the evening show. I said “Welcome to Cardiff” she said “Thank you”. Hardly a riveting conversation but I have spoken to one of the greats of the silver screen.
    Indeed you have. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I used to love Cheers and Cliff Clavin was one of my favourite characters. Apparently John R approached the producers and asked them if they had a know-all character in the script. They thought it was a great idea and the rest us history.
    True. He got wind of the show, saw the proposal and said that no bar in Boston would be credible without a barfly/know-it-all. Apparently, they are common. He basically created his own character, and the history of television comedy can be grateful that he did.

Another thing he told me I will always remember. During his 'Cheers' years, he said, he was inundated with fan mail, which he largely kept. In his retirement he would travel the country visiting, announced, the homes of those fans. "Hi, I'm John Ratzenberger. You sent me a letter." He got a big kick out of their reactions. Once, he said, he interrupted a man who was renovating his kitchen. He stayed two days with the family and helped him get the job done.

Lovely guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    True. He got wind of the show, saw the proposal and said that no bar in Boston would be credible without a barfly/know-it-all. Apparently, they are common. He basically created his own character, and the history of television comedy can be grateful that he did.

Another thing he told me I will always remember. During his 'Cheers' years, he said, he was inundated with fan mail, which he largely kept. In his retirement he would travel the country visiting, announced, the homes of those fans. "Hi, I'm John Ratzenberger. You sent me a letter." He got a big kick out of their reactions. Once, he said, he interrupted a man who was renovating his kitchen. He stayed two days with the family and helped him get the job done.

Lovely guy.
    Sounds like he's one in a million. I can't imagine any other star doing that. Some don't even give you the time of day.

I'm sure someone posted on here years ago about a particularly interesting meeting with the singer Lisa Stansfield. I'd like to hear note about that if you're still on here

A few years ago when working as a paramedic I got called to an address near Monmouth for an elderly gentleman with a medical issue.

After being there for 20 minutes and finishing off my examination whilst kneeling next to the patient, I heard a deep voice behind me asking how his dad was. I gave him a brief overview of the situation of situation whilst still looking at the patient as I was doing my final checks.

Whilst telling his son the situation I thought that voice sounds familiar. I then said ‘you sound like Eddie Butler’ and then turned around to see Eddie Butler looking down on me. He was a real gent.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Mrs Gascogne was a well published academic in her own right and well known photographer and ceramic artist.

So often the wives of famous people are not only the driving force but have careers of their own which often gets lost in the attention paid to their husbands

Many years ago while travelling from my digs to building site in London on the underground I saw the guy with the massive ears from are you being served. I had my tool bag with me and had a real urge to take out my tape and measure his wingspan.
    Somehow I resisted but I was bloody mesmerised and nearly missed my stop.

I could only have been about 7 and me and my dad were walking from Ninian Park after a game v Norwich back into the city centre, when this huge bloke stopped us and asked us was there a toy shop nearby. It was Tommy Cooper.

And about 10 years ago I was up in London working for the day when I managed to get a ticket for The Ashes at the Oval. There’d been no play in the morning because of rain. They’d announce play would start after lunch and as I was running up the escalator at the tube station to get there for the start Nigel Havers was running next to me. I really wanted to start humming the music from Chariots of Fire but couldn’t bring myself to do it.