+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A haunting memory

A haunting memory

I thought I share my memory of an event that occurred on the 14 January 1980 that has stayed with me since. I had previously posted about many years ago but I cannot find any trace of it.

Back in those days when an FA cup game was drawn and the replay was drawn, another replay was held at a neutral venue. In the third round in 1980 the Jacks had drawn twice with Crystal Palace, so a second replay was held at Ninian Park on a Monday night (what idiot thought that this was a good idea).

My mate and I, both 15 at the time, decided to go and watch the game and support Palace. We both had city scarves on us and caught the bus to Cardiff from Blackwood. After arriving at the central bus station we headed off down Ninian Park Road to walk to the ground.

We had not got far down Ninian Park Road when we noticed 4 older lads walking behind us quickly. When they got close we noticed they were Swansea fans and they noticed we were City fans by our scarves. They did not immediately attack us but they talked loudly about what they will do to us. They talked loudly about taking our shoes and burning our scarves. We tried to act unafraid and desperately looked for an escape.

This continued for the next few minutes as we walked down the road. I then noticed a small white van pull over further up the road. A group of lads got out of the van and started looking towards us. I thought we were done for as I thought they may be more Swansea fans. The group of lads by the van then started to chant Palace and charged towards the Swansea fans behind us. The Swansea fans then ran towards the Palace fans, which gave me and my mate a chance to get away. We both felt extremely relieved and after getting a safe distance away we looked back to see what happening. We could see the 2 groups brawling in the street, so we turned around and carried on walking to the ground.

We found out later that one of the Swansea fans was stabbed to death by on one of the Palace fans.

At the time I did not think too much about it, but as I got older and more wiser the consequences of what had had happened became clearer and the thought of the dangerous situation we were in has become even more obvious.

The drama of that day did not end there!

On arriving at the ground we used the Grange End entrance to get into the Bob Bank. On Walking onto the Bob we realised we were in with the Swansea fans. We could see that the other other half of the Bob was full of City fans and tried to make our way across. We had to get through an avalanche of punches and kicks to get to safety. By the time we got through we were minus our scarves, which by this time were on fire. The scene inside Ninian Park was surreal, with 3 sets of supporters around the ground.

I have no recollection of the game, but the events leading up to kick off have stuck with me ever since. At the time I did report what I had seen to the Police due to tribal rivalry and immaturity, which is something I now regret.

Re: A haunting memory

Was at that game, also.

I’m sure I heard that the Palace fan who carried out the murder committed suicide some time later.

The Swansea fan was David Daniel Williams, aged 29. He was from West Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m sure I heard that the Palace fan who carried out the murder committed suicide some time later.
    He did,i think it was in Cardiff prison.
    Billy Rondou Spelling

There’s a write up of that night here http://theswanseaway.blogspot.com/20...nd-smiley.html

I was at that game with my mate. We were both 17. It was scary stuff. Somehow we ended up in the Grange end amongst the Swansea fans.
    They were very game that night, and I remember loads of them climbing into the Bob bank to get at the Palace fans.
    Can’t remember much about the game, except David Giles brilliant winner right in front of us..
    Can’t even remember why we went in the Grange end, but we both got an adrenaline rush, being City fans, and being in with the enemy. I do remember we didn’t have the balls to start anything, and now I’m much older and wiser, i’m glad we didn’t. It was all so surreal that night.
    3 Sets of fans trying to get to each other. Never seen the likes of it since. Agree with the OP, who ever thought to play that fixture at that venue, should have been jailed.

Thanks for sharing, before my time but still surprised that I don’t think I’ve come across mention of this curio of a game before somehow or the tragic death. Appreciate this was still fairly early in the rivalry with the jacks but what a mystifying decision to play that game at NP.

I too was at this game I was 12 my brother took me and he was 18.
    The memory that stays with me the most is Rudi Pica knocking Jacks down like bowling pins near the bobbank Grange end flood light.
    My brother knew him from being in the same age group but different schools. Rudi Fitzalen and my brother Glan Ely.
    They'd played football against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I too was at this game I was 12 my brother took me and he was 18.
    The memory that stays with me the most is Rudi Pica knocking Jacks down like bowling pins near the bobbank Grange end flood light.
    My brother knew him from being in the same age group but different schools. Rudi Fitzalen and my brother Glan Ely.
    They'd played football against each other.
    If your Bro was 18 at the time and had gone to Glan Ely, he’ll probably remember the Pretenders playing there, as i mentioned in the Strange encounters thread.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If your Bro was 18 at the time and had gone to Glan Ely, he’ll probably remember the Pretenders playing there, as i mentioned in the Strange encounters thread.
    He'd already left school.
    But I remember it and it's 1 of my biggest regrets.
    Our form teacher in form1 was Mr Shirley he was the Head of English.
    He set the class a homework, the best girl and boys work in that homework would get to see the Pretenders as representatives of our form , I won, but due to I don't know what I chose not to go so another boy was chosen.
    The stupid thing was the night the Pretenders came we snook over school field got into the quadrangle and watched through a crack in curtains.
    Big regret.

Wasn't it John Toshack's decision to play at NP? I always thought he was offered the choice of venue.

Did many cardiff fans show up? What was the crowd that night?

From memory, 20,000. It was on a Monday night I recall and there was a fair bit of snow on the pitch. I can remember being on the Canton Stand side of the Bob Bank and looking left to watch most of the action on the pitch and all of it off it. Thankfully, I experienced no trouble close up that night, but what a mad decision to play the game at Ninian Park. Remember thinking Swansea were very impressive, much better than the team I was used to watching play at Ninian Park.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    From memory, 20,000. It was on a Monday night I recall and there was a fair bit of snow on the pitch. I can remember being on the Canton Stand side of the Bob Bank and looking left to watch most of the action on the pitch and all of it off it. Thankfully, I experienced no trouble close up that night, but what a mad decision to play the game at Ninian Park. Remember thinking Swansea were very impressive, much better than the team I was used to watching play at Ninian Park.
    Impressive memory, I can never remember football games after a week or so bar the big games like Leeds, Stoke playoffs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    The Swansea fan was David Daniel Williams, aged 29. He was from West Cross.
    He died on the doorstep of the family living next door to my aunty. Sad times

I always thought it was a Palace fan who died that night. Shows how your memory can play tricks .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Did they get promoted that season to div 1? Prob one of the best teams they ever had I guess…..goes to show how dodgy things were in general back then even Crystal Palace fans turning up with knives and I’ve never really heard that clubs name mentioned with all the agro that went on…..