+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Last Ever Beatles Song

Re: The Last Ever Beatles Song

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Roger Waters sings Breathe.
    On Dark Side Of The Moon ?

I am convinced it was Gilmour

I know Waters re recorded it and sang it for his red dux project at a later date

It doesn't sound like Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It coincided pretty much with a decision to stop gigging and concentrate on studio stuff.

I find it quite staggering that for years, they never released singles from their albums, they were unique songs not to be found elsewhere.
    I am glad they basically knocked it when they did which is why I think this newly discovered and remastered or whatever we want to call it is not my bag

I mean it's OK but does it hold up to classic beatles ? Not for me

Sabbath , Rush, Cream , Zep all fav bands of mine but wether by accident or design all could have stopped before they actually did

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am glad they basically knocked it when they did which is why I think this newly discovered and remastered or whatever we want to call it is not my bag

I mean it's OK but does it hold up to classic beatles ? Not for me

Sabbath , Rush, Cream , Zep all fav bands of mine but wether by accident or design all could have stopped before they actually did
    No, of course it isn't up there with the classic Beatles. Nothing post 1970 was ever going to be anything other than a nostalgia trip. Surely you're not expecting two geriatrics to reproduce the masters they did in the 60s.

I'm in the camp of it's just good to hear something new from the 4 Beatles. Lennon's vocals are flawless, unlike the 90s attempts. They've revisited Beatles techniques, like strings etc. Is it a good song? Maybe not when all is said and done, but it's closure. A final song where all 4 Beatles have ended up on a recording together. That makes it definitive. How many of us would have loved a final opportunity to close the book on something? They've had that, regardless of whether someone likes the song or not. In those terms it doesn't matter if the song is any good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No, of course it isn't up there with the classic Beatles. Nothing post 1970 was ever going to be anything other than a nostalgia trip. Surely you're not expecting two geriatrics to reproduce the masters they did in the 60s.

I'm in the camp of it's just good to hear something new from the 4 Beatles. Lennon's vocals are flawless, unlike the 90s attempts. They've revisited Beatles techniques, like strings etc. Is it a good song? Maybe not when all is said and done, but it's closure. A final song where all 4 Beatles have ended up on a recording together. That makes it definitive. How many of us would have loved a final opportunity to close the book on something? They've had that, regardless of whether someone likes the song or not. In those terms it doesn't matter if the song is any good or not.
    Well that's your opinion it's certainly not mine

I think nostalgia trips are a bit of waste of time really .

It's a free country but it's a poor song in my opinion , it's not bringing anything special to the party

Lennons voice is too whiney on songs like this , it just seems a pointless exercise

It's a free country but it's a poor song in my opinion , it's not bringing anything special to the party

Lennons voice is too whiney on songs like this , it just seems a pointless exercise
    can't comment on this Beatles track as its not my bag but hopefully the smiths don't go down this route

millions of dollars have been offered to the smiths to reform over the years and think it was the right decision not too although the band are more popular now more than ever !

there legacy still remains intact thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    can't comment on this Beatles track as its not my bag but hopefully the smiths don't go down this route

millions of dollars have been offered to the smiths to reform over the years and think it was the right decision not too although the band are more popular now more than ever !

Isn't Lennon's voice largely computer generated? Not a fan of that at all

I would be amazed if they got back together

I can't see morrisey and Marr sharing a cup of tea never mind a stage

who cares

“Nostalgia trips are a bit of a waste of time really”

Say the guy stuck in reverse in 1991.

Honestly, you couldn’t make it up.

Go to bed Sludge.

I would be amazed if they got back together

I can't see morrisey and Marr sharing a cup of tea never mind a stage
    it will never happen

saw them play live 3 times back in the 80's with the memories and the photos i took will go with me when i,m 6 foot under !

been offered money for my photos at the gigs through various mediums over the years but i have declined

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    It's very nasal

it will never happen

saw them play live 3 times back in the 80's with the memories and the photos i took will go with me when i,m 6 foot under !

been offered money for my photos at the gigs through various mediums over the years but i have declined
    I saw sabbath in 1998 and even then they were struggling

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    “Nostalgia trips are a bit of a waste of time really”

Say the guy stuck in reverse in 1991.

Honestly, you couldn’t make it up.

Go to bed Sludge.
    I am immortal

On Dark Side Of The Moon ?

I am convinced it was Gilmour

I know Waters re recorded it and sang it for his red dux project at a later date

It doesn't sound like Waters
    It's definitely Gilmour singing.

The Smiths were one of my favourite 80s bands and if you’re talking about influential acts, they were at the forefront for their time, but comparing them to the Beatles, it’s like the EuropeanConference and the Champions League. The Smiths influenced music, the Beatles influenced life. In a way, I’d like to have been born ten years earlier, so I could have a better memory of what life was like before the Beatles - there were plenty of other reasons why the sixties were such a momentous decade, but the Beatles were right there in the front and centre of it.

Because of this, I can understand the desire fo get the absolute maximum of Beatles product out there, but I’m with Sludge about the track released yesterday - it’s pretty insipid and, in my view, undeserving of all of the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It's definitely Gilmour singing.
    I thought as much

A superb song

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Smiths were one of my favourite 80s bands and if you’re talking about influential acts, they were at the forefront for their time, but comparing them to the Beatles, it’s like the EuropeanConference and the Champions League. The Smiths influenced music, the Beatles influenced life. In a way, I’d like to have been born ten years earlier, so I could have a better memory of what life was like before the Beatles - there were plenty of other reasons why the sixties were such a momentous decade, but the Beatles were right there in the front and centre of it.

Because of this, I can understand the desire fo get the absolute maximum of Beatles product out there, but I’m with Sludge about the track released yesterday - it’s pretty insipid and, in my view, undeserving of all of the hype.
    I don't think it's possible to say The Beatles were THE best band ever as they were not to everybody's taste

I prefer the kinks and the who really rather the beatles early work , the teeny bopper stuff no thanks

But in terms of versatility, melodies and sound once they hit the ground they were incredible

I don't think it's possible to say The Beatles were THE best band ever as they were not to everybody's taste

I prefer the kinks and the who really rather the beatles early work , the teeny bopper stuff no thanks

But in terms of versatility, melodies and sound once they hit the ground they were incredible
    If that was the case, you need to be to everyone's taste, there would be nowhere close to any band who could be considered that.

So either there is none and there's no way to differentiate between the Beatles and a pub band, or there is. And it has to be the Beatles. There's no other band whose music has appeal to young children, teenagers, young adults, middle aged people, retired people, and so consistently over so many decades.

No it's not.

International

Thet are all shyte, maybe OK for people in their 90's 100's?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If that was the case, you need to be to everyone's taste, there would be nowhere close to any band who could be considered that.

So either there is none and there's no way to differentiate between the Beatles and a pub band, or there is. And it has to be the Beatles. There's no other band whose music has appeal to young children, teenagers, young adults, middle aged people, retired people, and so consistently over so many decades.
    It is unique to The Beatles that at any family gathering, party, pub, works radio etc a Beatles song comes on and it seems that nigh on everyone is singing along, regardless of age. Some even unconsciously singing, they just know the words and can’t help themselves. No doubt The Fab Four are the greatest.

The original demo has been 'public' for quite a few years and the vocals are identical I'd say (but much cleaner obviously) :
    https://youtu.be/zO3ox_DlAyE?feature=shared

It does depend on what you mean by 'computer generated' though. My understanding is that the AI that Peter Jackson's team use (MAL) is trained to recognise one part of a recording (developed to enhance/isolate background sounds for the Get Back documentary but now used to isolate Lennon's vocals from the demo) and it then 'recreates' those. It might be getting philosophical but is a perfect recreated copy the same thing as the original? Either way there is a fair amount of digital trickery going on but probably no more than what has always happened in musical studios.

Going back to the demo I think it's a slight shame that they lost the middle 8 ('I don't want to lose you') but the vocal isn't great on the tape for that section and McCartney probably doesn't have the range nowadays.

I found it very boring and a typical, middle of the road BBC Two song.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    The original demo has been 'public' for quite a few years and the vocals are identical I'd say (but much cleaner obviously) :
    https://youtu.be/zO3ox_DlAyE?feature=shared

It does depend on what you mean by 'computer generated' though. My understanding is that the AI that Peter Jackson's team use (MAL) is trained to recognise one part of a recording (developed to enhance/isolate background sounds for the Get Back documentary but now used to isolate Lennon's vocals from the demo) and it then 'recreates' those. It might be getting philosophical but is a perfect recreated copy the same thing as the original? Either way there is a fair amount of digital trickery going on but probably no more than what has always happened in musical studios.

Going back to the demo I think it's a slight shame that they lost the middle 8 ('I don't want to lose you') but the vocal isn't great on the tape for that section and McCartney probably doesn't have the range nowadays.
    Your last paragraph is interesting because while listening to the song for the first time the other day I was waiting for a middle 8 to take it in another direction but it never happened. Now I understand why. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I found it very boring and a typical, middle of the road BBC Two song.
    Yes that's what I thought

There was a load of fuss over the airwaves and on the TV and social media and I thought it was nondescript coffee table music

I thought that about the previous post beatles release too

It all seems completely pointless