+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any Painters & Decorators here ?

Any Painters & Decorators here ?

I have a wooden gate and side panel in the front of house. Painted it [gloss] about 10yrs ago. Decided to give it another colour so bought some satinwood from B&Q. Gave it 2 coats yesterday, fully sanded, 1st coat dry, second coat dry, all done by 1pm. We had rain overnight, starting around 2pm, so 12 hours on. This am I noticed bubbling, peeling, and if I rub a section lightly it comes off !

Never known this before. Woodwork was dry and prepared fully. I had B&& make up the colour and it was water-based, but still as it was fully dry it shouldn't have ended up like this. I should add it is definitely 'exterior use' paint.

Re: Any Painters & Decorators here ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I have a wooden gate and side panel in the front of house. Painted it [gloss] about 10yrs ago. Decided to give it another colour so bought some satinwood from B&Q. Gave it 2 coats yesterday, fully sanded, 1st coat dry, second coat dry, all done by 1pm. We had rain overnight, starting around 2pm, so 12 hours on. This am I noticed bubbling, peeling, and if I rub a section lightly it comes off !

Never known this before. Woodwork was dry and prepared fully. I had B&& make up the colour and it was water-based, but still as it was fully dry it shouldn't have ended up like this. I should add it is definitely 'exterior use' paint.
    Yes I am was a city and guilds decorator in my youth

Once a surface has been painted.....your gate .....then unless it was sealed properly ....in the case of wood a paint that soaked into the surface , fully dried and then was undercoated ,, allowed to dry , then topcoated ......its always going to be subject to what is called retarded drying.....flaking , bubbles etc

Painting when it's damp .....ie late autumn .....or very hot ...high summer ....can also cause this

I would either wait until the spring and get a new bare wood gate and start again ......or again wait until the spring and get some zinser bin 123 primer sealer .....rub back as best you can ....apply two coats of this over 2 days to allow it to harden up to give you a good solid surface to apply your top coat to .....then paint 2 full coats on .....leaving 24 hours at least between coats

That should give you a fairly good finish but as the surface is clearly patchy I am afraid it's always possibly going to bubble and flake

So .....1 new gate

2 .....if you are going to try again wait till the damp , frost and rain isn't an issue .....spring ....and use zinser primer sealer

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yes I am was a city and guilds decorator in my youth

Once a surface has been painted.....your gate .....then unless it was sealed properly ....in the case of wood a paint that soaked into the surface , fully dried and then was undercoated ,, allowed to dry , then topcoated ......its always going to be subject to what is called retarded drying.....flaking , bubbles etc

Painting when it's damp .....ie late autumn .....or very hot ...high summer ....can also cause this

I would either wait until the spring and get a new bare wood gate and start again ......or again wait until the spring and get some zinser bin 123 primer sealer .....rub back as best you can ....apply two coats of this over 2 days to allow it to harden up to give you a good solid surface to apply your top coat to .....then paint 2 full coats on .....leaving 24 hours at least between coats

That should give you a fairly good finish but as the surface is clearly patchy I am afraid it's always possibly going to bubble and flake

So .....1 new gate

2 .....if you are going to try again wait till the damp , frost and rain isn't an issue .....spring ....and use zinser primer sealer
    Thanks Sludge, I thought the wet atmosphere might have contributed.

Satinwood on top of a gloss finish may also prevent adhesion .....that's why using zinser primer sealer is usually suggested

And you may think the first coat of satinwood was dry before you put the second one on .....but at this time of year that's possibly not the case .....a semi dry first coat of your satinwood ....even if it felt dry to touch ......is likely to cause lift of second coat

I also note you have put satinwood on top of gloss without first an undercoat ......the advertising sometimes says of this stuff goes straight on etc , quick drying , great paint etc ......but any change of colour , change from gloss to satin etc ? ......I was taught get a decent undercoat on , 24 hrs to dry .....

Getting 2 coats of satinwood on in a day like you have suggests it was quick drying satinwood ....water based ....never the best of exterior paint ....and that first coat you put out wasn't 100 percent dry

The paint has not taken .....dried to , stuck to ....the first coat

How much is a new gate or start again in April would be my advice , with the primer undercoat I have suggested

Can you take the gate off its hinges and paint in the garage or shed? Is the paint acrylic or latex?

Satinwood on top of a gloss finish may also prevent adhesion .....that's why using zinser primer sealer is usually suggested

And you may think the first coat of satinwood was dry before you put the second one on .....but at this time of year that's possibly not the case .....a semi dry first coat of your satinwood ....even if it felt dry to touch ......is likely to cause lift of second coat

I also note you have put satinwood on top of gloss without first an undercoat ......the advertising sometimes says of this stuff goes straight on etc , quick drying , great paint etc ......but any change of colour , change from gloss to satin etc ? ......I was taught get a decent undercoat on , 24 hrs to dry .....

Getting 2 coats of satinwood on in a day like you have suggests it was quick drying satinwood ....water based ....never the best of exterior paint ....and that first coat you put out wasn't 100 percent dry

The paint has not taken .....dried to , stuck to ....the first coat

How much is a new gate or start again in April would be my advice , with the primer undercoat I have suggested
    Yeah, there were a few bare areas where I had to undercoat before painting and there it's stuck firm with no bubbles. Will leave it now until dryer, warmer weather, as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Can you take the gate off its hinges and paint in the garage or shed? Is the paint acrylic or latex?
    It's exterior satin, but water-based - all the sheds now mix water-based only. If it was just the gate, yes, but there's a panel section also so will have to put job off til spring.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yeah, there were a few bare areas where I had to undercoat before painting and there it's stuck firm with no bubbles. Will leave it now until dryer, warmer weather, as you suggest.
    Lightly sand it all back in the spring

Dust it off

2 coats of zinser primer undercoat red or blue

A day drying between each coat

Then apply your final coat

If you decide to do 2 final coats , again leave a day between

Lightly sand it all back in the spring

Dust it off

2 coats of zinser primer undercoat red or blue

A day drying between each coat