+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Supermarket Tills

O/T Supermarket Tills

Booth’s, a Northern supermarket chain with 28 stores has scrapped self service tills in all but two of their stores, reopening their manned checkouts. They say that customer feedback has demanded it. Now this is a supermarket, if local, I’d definitely use.

Re: O/T Supermarket Tills

Me too.....I always use a manned (or femaled...) checkout even if I have a few items and there is a queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Me too.....I always use a manned (or femaled...) checkout even if I have a few items and there is a queue.
    Me too.

'Good morning'
    Good morning, how are things today , been busy ?'
    'Pretty busy, probably the weather, hope it's still nice when I finish'
    'I'm sure it will be , anything planned ..?'
    ..and so on.

For some people it's their only human interaction all day. If there's one thing I really detest is retail giants telling us they're sacking staff and replacing them with computers in order to enhance the customer experience, and because that's what they want. And yes, I too always use a staffed checkout even when I'm 'directed' to a self service..

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Booth’s, a Northern supermarket chain with 28 stores has scrapped self service tills in all but two of their stores, reopening their manned checkouts. They say that customer feedback has demanded it. Now this is a supermarket, if local, I’d definitely use.
    The true reason is probably to reduce theft.

Superb shop. The Waitrose of the north. We used to use it when visiting my daughter who did her clinical training in Preston.

Good.

I never use the self-service out of principle, being that they put people out of work.

I do despair when staff at supermarkets direct customers towards them, though. Turkeys looking forward to Christmas.

International

Morrisons Llanishen have apparently closed their self-serve and added extra security cameras, someone just posted?

Shoplifting has massively increased over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    The word 'man' meant both genders orginally. Just like 'meat' originally meant food (and hence there being no 'meat' in mincemeat and dairy products having been described as 'white meat'). And 'deer' originally meant any quadruped. Jus' sayin'.........

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Good.

I never use the self-service out of principle, being that they put people out of work.

I do despair when staff at supermarkets direct customers towards them, though. Turkeys looking forward to Christmas.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Morrisons Llanishen have apparently closed their self-serve and added extra security cameras, someone just posted?

I always did wonder whether this would happen and how the outlet would counter (no pun intended) it.

Of course the places that persevere with these self service tills probably knew this would and factor into the prices of their items, thus the consumer pays for it.

One reason I very rarely use them the other being, as has been mentioned, robots taking over jobs and lining the fat cats' pockets.

no they haven't, i used them the other day

but yeah shoplifting has increased, as it often does when people are struggling

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Ok someone posted it today, I don't go there myself.

International

I just reread what he had said, "Morrisons has gone surveillance crazy and CUT down cash self-checkouts"

I misread it quickly as closed down, he's moaning that they have to queue to use cash in them as most are for card only, and that they have more cameras in that area, my mistake.

I just reread what he had said, "Morrisons has gone surveillance crazy and CUT down cash self-checkouts"

I misread it quickly as closed down, he's moaning that they have to queue to use cash in them as most are for card only, and that they have more cameras in that area, my mistake.
    they've always had quite a visible security presence in that morrisons for some reason

they've always had quite a visible security presence in that morrisons for some reason
    Used to work on that very self checkout in my uni days... glad to hear they've upped it as there was a time people literally used to walk out with trolleys full of booze, the ****ing audacity

Great news, glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Used to work on that very self checkout in my uni days... glad to hear they've upped it as there was a time people literally used to walk out with trolleys full of booze, the ****ing audacity
    The Tesco in Aberdare recently put in gates at the entrance as people were walking out of there with shopping.

https://youtu.be/880KbkT_ihM?si=xCs13c3laVsLwWJm

The dexterity of a fighter pilot !

You go careful there my love 😍 xx

Just been to Morrison’s Llanishen, absolute mayhem as too many self service tills and not enough manned tills.

Big queues !!!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Good.

I've previously had workings at banks, they changed staff's bonus so that they needed to get something like five online banking activations a day, so those poor staff were forced to help the bank, close the branches, and get rid of all the branch staff, they were ruthless!

They'd have meetings at the end of the week praising the ones that got the most, it was ridiculous definitely turkeys fattening themselves up for Christmas.

It’d be marvellous if people in the UK were more militant. Organised groups of shoppers targeting supermarkets where self service checkouts are prevalent, filling their trollies getting to the manned (or unmanned, as they usually are) checkouts and walking out, leaving their full trollies, in protest. If challenged just say ‘I can’t get served because there’s nobody on the checkout’.

I would hate it for manned checkouts to disappear for well documented reasons as found in this thread. However, I don't use them and my 84 year old widowed mother in law doesn't bother with them either, both for one good reason.

It's much easier to scan shopping as you go and bag it, rather than put it all in a trolley, take it all out again to be scanned, then put it all in bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I would hate it for manned checkouts to disappear for well documented reasons as found in this thread. However, I don't use them and my 84 year old widowed mother in law doesn't bother with them either, both for one good reason.

It's much easier to scan shopping as you go and bag it, rather than put it all in a trolley, take it all out again to be scanned, then put it all in bags.
    How do you pay for it?