+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff - City of the Year

Cardiff - City of the Year

Re: Cardiff - City of the Year

Good grief.

Cardiff has been crowned ‘shitty of the Year' at the annual EG Awards, 2023.

Lord God no ..why, must have been shortlisted alongside some very low Cities?

At least it’s not the dreaded “city of culture”

They only give that award out to proper shitholes

They must have avoided st Mary street and Queen street…..

I wish Cardiff was the size of Leeds or Sheffield or Bristol

It's just not quite big enough

"The award recognises Cardiff's vision for the city and Cardiff's innovative council house building programme which is the largest in Wales"

The largest in Wales? Unbelievable. Imagine Cardiff beating out places like Newport, Swansea, Barry and Merthyr. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Cardiff is a great City in its own right with its own identity.

Why keep comparing to others?
    The cities that you mention aren’t exactly hotbeds of culture known worldwide.
    Bristol is a wannabe Shoreditch with Massive Attack/Banksy and a heritage of Slavery.

Leeds and Sheffield may be good nights out but they are hardly Florence or Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

Bristol is a wannabe Shoreditch with Massive Attack/Banksy and a heritage of Slavery.

Leeds and Sheffield may be good nights out but they are hardly Florence or Chicago.
    Agree with most of what you say.

Why are people pooh-poohing on the city?
    The last time I went home to Cardiff was in 2019. I hadn't been home for 10 years prior to that. It made me appreciate what a great city it is.

I often peruse the Bristol City message board (otib).
    In the build up to their recent visit to us, there were of course, quite a few of their fans asking where to park/eat&drink etc.
    I was taken back by the number of Bristol supporters who were able to give detailed and accurate information.
    It seems that a large number of them are familiar with Cardiff, not because of work or study, but because they prefer the shopping that Cardiff has to offer over their own city.

Some very strange responses in this thread, I remember being told in Primary School by my teacher that Cardiff was a great city and sixty years later, I’ve still no reason to think she was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

It doesn't have the edge that Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle , Liverpool have

I think that's because they are bigger cities with a lot more going on

Bristol is certainly more hip than Cardiff

I think if Cardiff was bigger it would be more vibrant

In some ways it's very conservative , with a small c

Bands wise it's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

The last time I went home to Cardiff was in 2019. I hadn't been home for 10 years prior to that. It made me appreciate what a great city it is.
    I am saying if it was bigger it would be better

It doesn't have enough of a population to be anything more than a regional city

The band scene is poor and its a bit samey when it comes to other entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Some very strange responses in this thread, I remember being told in Primary School by my teacher that Cardiff was a great city and sixty years later, I’ve still no reason to think she was wrong.
    Where else have you been ?

As in weekend breaks or lived in other cities ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It has been a great City, but for some reason, it seems like the Council would prefer it to decline.

It's getting dirtier by the week, money is wasted on closing the roads and restricting access as much as possible to the City Centre, it's almost like they are trying to close the City Centre earlier than other towns and Cities, and trying to restrict any growth in the economy?

Is there an advantage to more empty shops and lower economic growth?

Can they sell the shops to developers for flats, is there a financial advantage to councils for doing that?

Cardiff is a great city in my opinion. Not perfect., declining in some respects and getting better in others, but overall it's great.

I wouldn't get carried away mind. This is a trade bodies annual awards, and they will give it to someone else each year and it's about specific issues in the real estate market/policy area.

Good news still, I guess

Where else have you been ?

As in weekend breaks or lived in other cities ?
    London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Portsmouth, Southampton, Norwich, Reading/Slough area and Swansea, plus a few others - only ever paid flying visits to Yorkshire and the north east. Cardiff compares well to most of them I’d say.

Cardiff might not be the prettiest city in the UK, nor have the best music scene, or the very best for arts and culture... but it's up there with the very best in terms of all around offerings.

The only thing that Cardiff for me truly does lack on to an extent it is embarrassing is public transport, it's an absolute shambles compared to a few cities that would be considered to have far less prestige.

Overall a great city punching consistently well above it's weight.

I've always thought Cardiff was a great city and a great place to live. Although it's not as big as some of the cities mentioned. It's still a capital city. And there's plenty going on.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It has been a great City, but for some reason, it seems like the Council would prefer it to decline.

It's getting dirtier by the week, money is wasted on closing the roads and restricting access as much as possible to the City Centre, it's almost like they are trying to close the City Centre earlier than other towns and Cities, and trying to restrict any growth in the economy?

Is there an advantage to more empty shops and lower economic growth?

Can they sell the shops to developers for flats, is there a financial advantage to councils for doing that?
    How many cities do you know that are prioritising car access as part of their transport infrastructure?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

If people did their pooh-poohing elsewhere, Cardiff would be a much nicer city.

Further evidence in this thread that the views of this message board are not representative of anything much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    If people did their pooh-poohing elsewhere, Cardiff would be a much nicer city.
    Yes, agreed.

And no other city has our Chippy Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, agreed.

And no other city has our Chippy Lane.
    Have you sent the new shop in Caroline Street with the huge sign 'Chippy Lane'? Makes me smile every time I go past it imagining the red-faced, mouth-frothing reaction it will elicit from some sad acts.