+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Paving Contractors

O/T Paving Contractors

I don't whether it is a local phenomenon to where I live but a paving contractor named Marshalls is fly posting signs advertising themselves at junctions, commercial advertising hoardings and they will screw signs to your fence without your permission. If they are doing a job they will attach signs to lamp posts and every available place close to where they are doing the job. The signs have proliferated in Cyncoed, Llanishen and Rhiwbina. When you leave Sainsburys in Thornhill there are 4 signs attached to fencing there. Last year the same happened except it was a company called Hansons and it seems to have happened every year in recent years albeit companies with different names. I must admit my drive needs doing but I can't say that their carpet bombing an area with their signs encourages me to get a quote from them. Anyone else noticed this ?

Re: O/T Paving Contractors

They are all the same lot and the live on Rover Way

If you want your drive done properly, contact Splott Parker

Similar thing been going on in Gabalfa/Llandaff North for a while. Tree surgeons as well as block paving businesses. Most of them have just mobile phone numbers and no business address either.
    Would it be unreasonable for me to conclude they're based in the Rumney/Wentloog area?

I've also noticed a few are giving themselves similar names of well established genuine businesses. DJ Mackay roofers is one (the genuine is on Lansdowne Rd, the copy is on New Rd Rumney). There's also 2 called something like TR33.

Wanted a roof done a while ago. Failed initially to get anyone locally so tried this Trusted Trader lark. Only person to phone back had a strong Irish accent. Needless to say I didn't proceed with him and was eventually lucky enough to get someone locally, and not from Rover Way, to get roof done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I've also noticed a few are giving themselves similar names of well established genuine businesses. DJ Mackay roofers is one (the genuine is on Lansdowne Rd, the copy is on New Rd Rumney). There's also 2 called something like TR33.
    I've used TR33 a few times, always been very pleased with their work, and reasonable too. I haven't heard of another company with that name

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They are all the same lot and the live on Rover Way

If you want your drive done properly, contact Splott Parker
    OK, I get the Rover Way reference

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    I've used TR33 a few times, always been very pleased with their work, and reasonable too. I haven't heard of another company with that name
    I called one, after a flyer was posted through my door. They quoted me £600 to dismantle a rotten wooden shed and remove the rubbish. It wasn't the genuine tr33.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The genuine TR33 company is long standing and well respected ,owned by a Kiwi bloke

I was recommended a guy called Alan Lee to replace my fascia boards and guttering so asked him to have a look.Next thing he's pulling it off as if he was going to replace it there and then. His quote was reasonable and his nephew, who seemed a good lad, I got on well with and he did a good job. Towards the end he was bombarding me with calls to say that my 1996 house needed a new roof as they'd spotted water pouring in. I refused and he wasn't happy, the longer he spoke the more his Traveller accent came through. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...s-22555634.amp

And this is his nephew, who seemed a good lad at the time 🤦*♂️https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eadmore-target

On a slightly different note, are fence posts inferior these days when compared to a few years ago? I have put them in a garden or two of mine at different junctures but two I put in concrete bases two years ago have already broken by rotting away at the base - and I not only ensure that the post is clear of any earth around it but make sure that the concrete base is raised above ground level immediately around the foot of the post and at an angle against the post so that the rain water runs away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    The genuine TR33 company is long standing and well respected ,owned by a Kiwi bloke
    Indeed. That's who I thought I'd asked for a quote - it clearly wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I don't whether it is a local phenomenon to where I live but a paving contractor named Marshalls is fly posting signs advertising themselves at junctions, commercial advertising hoardings and they will screw signs to your fence without your permission. If they are doing a job they will attach signs to lamp posts and every available place close to where they are doing the job. The signs have proliferated in Cyncoed, Llanishen and Rhiwbina. When you leave Sainsburys in Thornhill there are 4 signs attached to fencing there. Last year the same happened except it was a company called Hansons and it seems to have happened every year in recent years albeit companies with different names. I must admit my drive needs doing but I can't say that their carpet bombing an area with their signs encourages me to get a quote from them. Anyone else noticed this ?
    Used to go by the name Everest too I believe, not sure how they got away with that but they did. They did a lot of drives around by me about 7 yrs ago including mine, a bit of a nerve wracking ride but they did it really well, half the price of most and it’s still top notch now

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Used to go by the name Everest too I believe, not sure how they got away with that but they did. They did a lot of drives around by me about 7 yrs ago including mine, a bit of a nerve wracking ride but they did it really well, half the price of most and it’s still top notch now
    Now you mention it I remember Everest. I think that was the one that started it all off.

The fly posting they do is unacceptable. There is a fence by the roundabout junction with Cyncoed Road and the owner on a number of occasions has had to unscrew as many as four signs from it

Now you mention it I remember Everest. I think that was the one that started it all off.

The fly posting they do is unacceptable. There is a fence by the roundabout junction with Cyncoed Road and the owner on a number of occasions has had to unscrew as many as four signs from it
    As part of “the deal” they make you keep a sign up at your property for a month or so after they’ve done it….but they don’t really come and get them surprisingly……there was about 8 of them doing mine, full on all day, took away a few skips, dug deep, layers, weed sheeting…all good and still in good shape. As soon as you agreed they were over with a digger to make it so there was no going back….

I think that lot recently block paved the driveway of a house near me. They did a shocking job and it was completely uneven. A few weeks later another company dug it all out and did it properly.

I had a Resin drive done just over a year ago, Robinsons brickwork and paving, front of house, down side to garage 11k, I watched them on the ring bell, everything done to spec. and quote.