+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International mens day

International mens day

By all accounts today is international mens day and I am wondering how many men have actually heard about it, I must confess I have never heard of if it before, but knew about international woman's day in March.

This year it seems the theme nation wide is Zero suicides for males, but in the uk the theme is Supporting men and boys wellbeing, will it make any difference if people do not know about it? I wonder

Re: International mens day

Thing sent around in work and in fairness the senior manager also forwarded it and sent a message saying his door is always open etc.

Yeah I've heard of it. I think there was a suspicion that it was a smartarse response to International Women's Day but, as you point out, it's used to highlight issues that affect men. There might be an argument against "[Any kind of] Day" but they must be a help to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Yeah I've heard of it. I think there was a suspicion that it was a smartarse response to International Women's Day but, as you point out, it's used to highlight issues that affect men. There might be an argument against "[Any kind of] Day" but they must be a help to some degree.
    yes and as pointed out by James above it seems that some senior managers use it. I have looked at what it was originally meant to be and came up with this.

International Men's Day was first conceived in 1992 by Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh, a history professor from Trinidad and Tobago. Dr. Teelucksingh chose November 19th to honour his father's birthday and to highlight issues related to men's health and well-being. The inaugural International Men's Day was observed in Trinidad and Tobago on November 19, 1999.
    The american version on how it started
    In the early 1990s Thomas Oaster, the director of the Missouri Center for Men’s Studies, invited organizations in the U.S., Australia, and Malta to hold small International Men’s Day events during the month of February. Oaster successfully hosted these events for two years, but his 1995 attempt was poorly attended. Discouraged, he ceased plans to continue the function. Australia followed suit, making Malta the sole country to continue celebrating.
    Malta, who had been celebrating International Men's Day on 7th February since 1994, officially switched the day to be observed to 19th November in 2009 in order to be synchronized with the rest of the world.
    The primary aims of International Men's Day are called the six pillars and are the following
    (1 To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sports men but everyday, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
    (2 To celebrate men’s positive contributions; to society, community, family, marriage, child care, and to the environment
    (3 To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical and spiritual.
    (4 To highlight discrimination against males; in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law
    (5) To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
    (6) To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential
    They are called the 6 pillars
    International Men's Day is now recognized and celebrated in several countries around the world. Some estimate 60 and others over 90 countries. Various organizations, government institutions, and individuals participate in activities and events to mark the occasion. However, the level of recognition and the specific activities may vary from country to country.
    The themes for International Men's Day can vary each year and may be set by national organizing committees or individual organizations. Themes often revolve around topics such as men's health, gender equality, positive masculinity, and social issues affecting men.and as I stated in my first post above, this years international theme is Zero Male Suicide, while the UK has chosen Supporting men and boys' wellbeing.

It is very proactively used in Poland, as is the Women’s day. Both the company and the female employees give a small gift to each male employee.

Yes I noticed that Poland celebrated International Women's on March 8th, but Mens day on 10th March, but international mens day on the 19th November is not celebrated, just like Malta used to celebrate their Mens day on the 7th February before they switched it to November 19th in line with other countries. Glad you mentioned Poland because I forgot to mention them with Malta above so in fact Poland are the only country who celebrates Mens day on a different date than other countries.

One other thing I found out when I was checking was, according to United Nations November 19th is the World Toilet day

Hopefully the managers who are supporting it are doing so in good faith. The head of department where I worked in Bristol would send emails around saying that those people who left work at 5pm on the dot were not making a very good career move. Now, when I see his posts on LinkedIn (I've since retired) he's all for mental health. Utter wanker.

If you say you are British these days they throw you in jail

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If you say you are British these days they throw you in jail
    Do you have to say it three times? Or will just the once do it?

International

It was somewhat discarder from my thoughts yesterday when I saw promotion for it which showed 7 or m men, most with beards, dressed as women. My first ad lest thought was, another good idea taken over by the woke brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you have to say it three times? Or will just the once do it?
    Hello is there anything going on upstairs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    One other thing I found out when I was checking was, according to United Nations November 19th is the World Toilet day
    There are millions of people around the world without basic sanitation needs. India is in a dreadful mess (pun intended) due to a lack of Toilets.

Someone should start a movement.

International men's day is an offensive terminology and a tough one to tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There are millions of people around the world without basic sanitation needs. India is in a dreadful mess (pun intended) due to a lack of Toilets.
    Totally agree but there are 365 days in a year and they could have picked one that is not already allocated .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    International men's day is an offensive terminology and a tough one to tackle
    The UN has
    Women's day but no mens day
    Widows Day but no Widowers day
    Girl guides day but no Boy Scouts day
    And they have a equality day
    Although they do not have a international mens day they do post a message on the day.

Happy International Men's Day to all the male allies around the world who support women, defy gender roles, fight gender-based violence & stand up for equality.
    UN Women invites everyone, everywhere, to support #GenerationEquality. https://unwomen.org/en

Why men who support women? On women’s day they don’t say happy women’s day to all women who support men. If you want gender equality treat all genders equally.

And I hope nobody thinks I am against women or having women's day, it is just that if you want equality then you yourself should show equality

Totally agree but there are 365 days in a year and they could have picked one that is not already allocated .
    I'd have thought there's an international something day every day.

My wife read it was international men’s day, and said “they’ll probably do it tomorrow 😁

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd have thought there's an international something day every day.
    No there are still plenty of free days although they do on occasion have two international days on the same day.

International Men's Day is like having International White People's Day. Redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Check out this scheme:

https://toilettwinning.org/

A simple and practical idea.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    My wife read it was international men’s day, and said “they’ll probably do it tomorrow 😁
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    International Men's Day is like having International White People's Day. Redundant.
    I tend to agree

I think bringing awareness to say male suicide is very important but an international day does sound like a load of white people shouting ....all lives matter !

It's going right over their heads

The UN has

Women's day but no mens day...
    If you really want to even things up, maybe start by denying men the vote for the next couple of hundred years. Then go from there....