+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Venables dies

Big Terry Passes

Terry Venables dies aged 80

Re: Terry Venables dies

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I liked El Tel. Grew up in Church Village as an evacuee during the war. His mother later ran the Farmers Arms pub in The village. RIP Terry

First Team

RIP.
    A man who changed domestic football by embracing Europe.
    He had his detractors and may have lived up to the wide boy image but , to me, was a real football man.

Likeable bloke, archetypal cockney, RIP

Did well for himself in the game as a player, manager and general ambassador.

As others have said, a likeable chap. If one didn't like him it was probably borne out of envy or the fact that he was (understandably) pro-England.

RIP.

A great character of the game. Unlucky not to lead England to the final in 96.

Always a smiley , chirpy guy

RIP

Ahh Shit.
    RIP Terry.

There can’t be too many ex footballers/managers who co wrote a book on which a detective television series was based. Was an original thinker on the game even if he was probably proved wrong over artificial pitches. Was an inventive midfield player, but I’d say a much better manager - definitely in the top ten England has produced.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Was an inventive midfield player, but I’d say a much better manager - definitely in the top ten England has produced.

RIP
    Chairman of Pompey for about a year and brought over some Aussies (who he also managed) like John Aloisi around this time. Local fans thought he was great, in fact I remember a fan shouting after Venable's was seen talking to a manager who wasn't rated, 'You wanna listen to him - he knows stuff'. Always thought this summed up Venables perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Chairman of Pompey for about a year and brought over some Aussies (who he also managed) like John Aloisi around this time. Local fans thought he was great, in fact I remember a fan shouting after Venable's was seen talking to a manager who wasn't rated, 'You wanna listen to him - he knows stuff'. Always thought this summed up Venables perfectly.
    Toshack was a very forward looking manager in his time

And Robson

Something about Toshack was very arrogant though 🤔

RIP Terry, the game is poorer for your passing. A great character, wish there were more like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    RIP Terry, the game is poorer for your passing.
    Actually, the game was better for his passing.....

Actually, the game was better for his passing.....
    It's happy hour at Pete and Bernis philosophical steak house

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's happy hour at Pete and Bernis philosophical steak house
    You're just miffed that I know more about Tuerto than anyone else on here...

You're just miffed that I know more about Tuerto than anyone else on here...
    You are on a different level and that's the way it is

RIP El Tel. Great football man and a great character. Very ahead of his time in his attitude to management.

#BBC
    Gary Neville, who played in (Venables') Euro 96 England side, wrote on X (Twitter) after his death: "He is without doubt the most technically gifted British coach we've ever produced."

Really liked El-Tel.
    I may be mistaken but my memory tells me he was one of the first to tinker with the 442 formation that had been the standard for years.
    Think he ran a hotel in Spain after retiring from football.

Put me in the total respect group as well. When he spoke, people listened. Great character and added much to the game. R.I.P. Tel

what great footage from hill and venables back in 93 talking about the state of the game back then . great analysis when you think back

Re: Big Terry Passes

He was 50% Welsh - "His mother was Welsh, and her family lived in Clydach Vale.When he was 13, his parents moved to run a pub in Romford, Essex, sending him to live with his maternal grandparents Ossie and Milly, who fostered his love of football"

He managed the wrong team, he should have come to us...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I liked El Tel. Grew up in Church Village as an evacuee during the war. His mother later ran the Farmers Arms pub in The village. RIP Terry
    I thought he lived up towards Quakers Yard not Church Village.