+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terry Venables dies

Re: Terry Venables dies

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I thought he lived up towards Quakers Yard not Church Village.
    Nah mate, it was definitely The Farmers Arms, Church Village. I was in there for a lovely pint a month back, drinking a few pints of their "Haka". Six pints of that and I didn't know which way to turn out of the pub. Spookily enough El Tel came up in conversation.

Terry Venables. For me he was the great mix of British man-management / motivator type, who adopted the far more advanced technical and tactical aspects of European Football to go with it. Which made him quite unique for a British manager. Gary Neville may have rated him, but more importantly, so did Johan Cruyff, and when he gives a seal of approval that tells you he was top billing. Barcelona had only one one title in 19 years before El Tel put them back at the top, and that was after losing Maradona and replacing him with Steve Archibald!!!

Loved El Tel. He handled Gazza brilliantly. I admittedly liked Bobby Robson's England and loved El Tel's (and never liked England since he was sacked.) That 1996 side - awesome. Not only did they deserve to beat Germany but in my eyes the best team of that tournament. They should have lifted the trophy. I am not sure many other managers with Nick Barmby and Darren Anderton in their team would have come as close as he did.

For me, a legendary British coach simply because of his tactical pioneering and success abroad, which other than Toshack in Spain, was a rare feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Nah mate, it was definitely The Farmers Arms, Church Village. I was in there for a lovely pint a month back, drinking a few pints of their "Haka". Six pints of that and I didn't know which way to turn out of the pub. Spookily enough El Tel came up in conversation.

Terry Venables. For me he was the great mix of British man-management / motivator type, who adopted the far more advanced technical and tactical aspects of European Football to go with it. Which made him quite unique for a British manager. Gary Neville may have rated him, but more importantly, so did Johan Cruyff, and when he gives a seal of approval that tells you he was top billing. Barcelona had only one one title in 19 years before El Tel put them back at the top, and that was after losing Maradona and replacing him with Steve Archibald!!!

Loved El Tel. He handled Gazza brilliantly. I admittedly liked Bobby Robson's England and loved El Tel's (and never liked England since he was sacked.) That 1996 side - awesome. Not only did they deserve to beat Germany but in my eyes the best team of that tournament. They should have lifted the trophy. I am not sure many other managers with Nick Barmby and Darren Anderton in their team would have come as close as he did.

For me, a legendary British coach simply because of his tactical pioneering and success abroad, which other than Toshack in Spain, was a rare feat.
    England the best team in Euro 96, you sure about that?

They won two games during 90 minutes.

Perhaps unlucky to lose to Germany? Lucky to beat Spain.

They beat Scotland and Netherlands. Netherlands were a mess internally within the squad.

Venables should have gotten the England job after Bobby Robson though.

Two wins out of five at euro 96 with every game at Wembley doesn't really make them the best team. The performance vs Netherlands was amazing and they could have beaten Germany while playing well.
    But Switzerland was terrible, Scotland would have been 1-1 with less than 15 mins to play had McAllister scored the pel, and Spain outplayed them.

But it was all a turning point for England to progress well in an un-English style (Italia 90 was still defence first) and Venables deserves a lot of credit for that.