+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Comic Relief in crisis as chairman quits over Gaza ceasefire call

Comic Relief in crisis as chairman quits over Gaza ceasefire call

Re: Comic Relief in crisis as chairman quits over Gaza ceasefire call

Comic Relief - is it a charity or a political organisation ?

I am clearly being incredibly dense here, but what is so wrong in calling fr a ceasefire and exchange of hostages?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Comic Relief - is it a charity or a political organisation ?
    At the risk of creating another 20 pager, I don't understand what is wrong with wanting a ceasefire in Gaza. Surely anyone wanting that just wants peace from all sides, not destruction, innocent people being killed etc. I don't give a shit who started what or who has done what, let's stop the killing.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I am clearly being incredibly dense here, but what is so wrong in calling fr a ceasefire and exchange of hostages?
    I don't understand it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't understand it, either.
    Everyone wants a ceasefire - except the 2 who are actually in the war - who have stated they want to wipe each other off the face of the earth.

Comic Relief can say what they want, but it will be seen by some as taking a side hence political. Which is probably why he has resigned I guess.

At the risk of creating another 20 pager, I don't understand what is wrong with wanting a ceasefire in Gaza. Surely anyone wanting that just wants peace from all sides, not destruction, innocent people being killed etc. I don't give a shit who started what or who has done what, let's stop the killing.
    You may not give a shit who started it (that is a 100 pager nqat) but there are plenty of Israelis that give a shit and want an end to Hamas regardless. Which is why they will take every chance they can get to wipe them out.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    You may not give a shit who started it (that is a 100 pager nqat) but there are plenty of Israelis that give a shit and want an end to Hamas regardless. Which is why they will take every chance they can get to wipe them out.
    Aha, so you've nailed your political opinion to the mast here and have decided to use it against Comic Relief. Ok.

If comic relief are giving more money to the gaza children after this then good for them

They can have some of mine

Aha, so you've nailed your political opinion to the mast here and have decided to use it against Comic Relief. Ok.
    I have no skin in the game - both are tragedies of horrible proportions. I am merely pointing out that comic relief will now be seen as political. Why do you think he resigned ?

From what I've read Israel doesnt want a cease fire and wants to finish the job. Hamas said similar.

Did we listen to anyone calling for a ceasefire when we went to war in the Falklands, or Iraq or Afghanistan ?

For the avoidance of doubt Red Cross, Red Crescent, UNRA and anyone else can and should call for a ceasefire.

It's the world in which we live in unfortunately - Susan Sarandon made a pro palestine comment - and was then dropped by her agency (owned by an Israeli). We dont have free speech anymore - without consequence.

The issue is that comic relief should be apolitical.

The problem with the 'immediate ceasefire' call is that one side have said they wouldn't honour it, so the calls, by fault more than design perhaps, are tinged with being seen as allowing Hamas to regroup etc.

It goes without question that every war is bad, but we don't always tolerate pacifist lines. A ceasefire with Nazi Germany in 1944 would almost certainly have been a bad thing and I guess that's the call here.

At the end of the day, no one cares what Comic Relief say so they should just try and stay neutral or work for a peaceful solution without allowing their words to be seen as supporting one side, as that, rightly or wrongly is what some view the 'immediate ceasefire' call as being.

We all know that, it's the same reason Starmer didn't endorse those calls from Labour MPs who said the same.

They should send John Bishop and Michael Mcintyre over and give them all a good laugh. Hamas and The IDF sat shoulder to shoulder laughing away at one of Bishops witty observations....