+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 WEST BROMWICH ALBION. Match thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v WEST BROMWICH ALBION. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Even more reason not take on a, what, 35 yard volley? Get it wide for one last ball into the box. There was 30 seconds to go so time for that at least

West Brom completely controlled that second half, we had nothing going forward save a couple of sparks now and then
    Yup, i do agree, but how the ball approached him would have been a factor. It was sat up, so he would have had to take 1, maybe 2 touches, with defenders approaching. He would not have been able to get it down and make the pass in time. So, **** it, i don't blame him Colwill had his wonky 7 iron out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I thought we had not a bad opening 20 min but once WBA got the foothold in the game, gave us a football lesson, not seen all the games but of the ones i have, no other team has made us look that ordinary. Disappointing but there is always the next game
    I would agree with that.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 WEST BROMWICH ALBION. Match thread

West Brom proved to be nothing special in my opinion - its not like being under the cosh as we were against Leeds, Leicester alike - but on merit were the better side on the pitch tonight, and a cross come shot from Sarmiento was the difference between the two sides.

The Bad

Runarsson in the first half almost led to the first goal of the match, shades of Alnwick's mistake against Watford.

Panzo looked completely out of his depth playing left back against Fellows, the ball down the inside of him worked a charm every time and Cardiff were fortunate that McGuiness could come to the rescue again and again.

Etete when the moment came to him to use his frame and throw his head at a peach of a cross from Colwill he fluffed his lines and made a complete mess of it.

The ref missing a clear and obvious handball call on Bartley, sliding to block Ugbo's effort with both arms raised, and he basically carried the ball out of play for what would only be a corner.

The Good

Goutas and McGuiness - hardly put a foot wrong all night. A great defensive partnership and the goal conceded tonight can hardly be chalked up against them.

He may frustrate others but Colwill's cameo showed glimpses of what he brings to Cardiff. Not everything he is going to try will come off but his touch, neat interplay and willingness to move the ball forward lead to some of Cardiff's better moments in the game.

In fairness West Brom did look good- very well organised with enough quality to pose a threat even if we defended well.

For those that claimed our win at Sunderland was a tactical masterclass, for the real thing look what WBA did to City tonight.

Could be worse, could be a Newcastle fan!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Could be worse, could be a Newcastle fan!
    VAR & poor refereeing (from the best in the world) ruin a game again

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I thought we had not a bad opening 20 min but once WBA got the foothold in the game, gave us a football lesson, not seen all the games but of the ones i have, no other team has made us look that ordinary. Disappointing but there is always the next game
    Flat as a pancake, classic Championship stuff

West Brom probably pretty decent side

We’ll finish 9th-14th I reckon, which I guess ain’t bad going considering

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Panzo aint no fullback...
    You can say that again. Not sure how Tanner lasted as long as he did, and the keeper... well...

We desperately need a centre forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You can say that again. Not sure how Tanner lasted as long as he did, and the keeper... well...

We desperately need a centre forward.
    We do. Someone who can bring others in to play. none of them can 'keep' the ball, buy fouls, time etc. scoring the odd goal would be a bonus as well.

We do. Someone who can bring others in to play. none of them can 'keep' the ball, buy fouls, time etc. scoring the odd goal would be a bonus as well.
    We also need our midfield to be further forward so those players could be brought into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We also need our midfield to be further forward so those players could be brought into play.
    He likes wide players, so three more defensive type players in the middle. I'm not sure that he would add a more forward thinking creative player in the middle, although i'm not sure he has to if he can get a decent number 9 and the wider players to contribute more.

We need Moore of a presence up front

We just need a few bodies as well, as we are light on options

I thought we were dreadful tonight, we didn’t seem to have any energy,very little creativity and made WBA look good.

He likes wide players, so three more defensive type players in the middle. I'm not sure that he would add a more forward thinking creative player in the middle, although i'm not sure he has to if he can get a decent number 9 and the wider players to contribute more.
    I watched some of the game on a stream as I had to work, but the gap between our midfield and forward line was ridiculous. We could have had Haaland up front for us and he'd have had no support from midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We need Moore of a presence up front

We just need a few bodies as well, as we are light on options
    Yup, it showed this evening. Hold on and bring in bodies during the window.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I thought we were dreadful tonight, we didn’t seem to have any energy,very little creativity and made WBA look good.
    They are 3rd in the league as it’s stands, they are hardly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I watched some of the game on a stream as I had to work, but the gap between our midfield and forward line was ridiculous. We could have had Haaland up front for us and he'd have had no support from midfield.
    Yeah, i agree. Bulut likes his wide player to be the creative hub, the three in the middle are very tight, the only one who moves along the line is siopis. Doesn't mean we can't be creative though, players in the middle can still get advanced at the right times. Although the three in there this evening are quite weak and slow in the attacking department. Hopefully Bulut has someone lined up. Wintle isn't the answer and siopis has looked sloppy and rushed recently. Ralls is Ralls.

I didn’t say they were awful, but we didn’t really test them and made it easy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I didn’t say they were awful, but we didn’t really test them and made it easy for them.
    We were clueless. Bowler was our only threat and he had three players around him and his starting point was 35 yards out from goal. No creativity.

This side isn't bad at all when it's firing

Tonight West Brom , in good form got that goal and that's often it at this level

Nothing to fear in this league though , we could easily go up there and do them in the same sort of way

It's easy to be wise after the event but a powerful centre forward and a direct approach could have won that game , we certainly didn't have our fancy football boots on

Sometimes you have to send for the artillery

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Tonight West Brom , in good form got that goal and that's often it at this level

Nothing to fear in this league though , we could easily go up there and do them in the same sort of way

It's easy to be wise after the event but a powerful centre forward and a direct approach could have won that game , we certainly didn't have our fancy football boots on

It was crying out for something, anything. We had our last gasp 10 minutes again but otherwise were content to watch them keep the ball. Dreadful night.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Artillery? Every set piece/corner we had their defence were so big they were like the Welsh Guards on the six yard box. Some big lumps there. Oh for a Chopra or McCormack making them turn and chase.

WBA will be happy with a good away performance. Nothing fancy, got their goal and were able to control game in 2nd half.
    We looked as if we were missing players. With Ramsey, Collins, Grant I the team we would have won. As it was we were short and it showed.
    WBA will be up there this season. We might be with 3/4 players.

West Brom are a solid decent team , probably just behind the 3 relegated teams . I’m not sure whether Runnarsson could have saved that shot, it looked in as soon as he hit it from where I was sat but he’s very shaky, almost made a terrible error in the first half with the ball at his feet ( his supposed strength!) , looked positionally in the wrong place again when they broke and hit the post and completely missed a cross in the 2nd half , he doesn’t fill me with any confidence and I can’t imagine he does to his defence.

We were slow and predictable tonight, West Brom pressed better and noticeably picked the pace up from the start of the 2nd half.

I would add if you added a striker ( Moore) and Ramsey and O’Dowda into that side we would have given them a better game. Hopefully we can stay in touch until January when those 2 players return and get back to match fitness and we add a couple of players ( striker / midfielder)

We’ve done a pretty good job of coping without Ramsey, but we didn’t half miss him tonight.