+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary O'Neil.

Gary O'Neil.

An impressive interview. Wolves have had some stinking VAR calls this season.

Re: Gary O'Neil.

Cracking interview

They have had some stinking decisions against them this season, they should be well up the league

Good interview but he is being a little one eyed. "Headbutt" is stretching it and both the Fulham first pen and the Wolves were soft. Wilson was clever for the second Fulham pen but its a pen.

Yes, very mature esp after such a defeat and we all know that most managers are potentially only 3-4 defeats away from the sack so this stuff does matter.

Personally I think football was better before VAR, but after we had goalline technology, which is pretty obvious and clearcut. I know it's difficult, but I do wonder if it is taking too much away really. At the very least I think we need a far more sensible interpretation of onside where being level means you are onside. It only exists to stop goalhanging, it doesn't matter if a striker is a mm or two Infront.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yes, very mature esp after such a defeat and we all know that most managers are potentially only 3-4 defeats away from the sack so this stuff does matter.

Personally I think football was better before VAR, but after we had goalline technology, which is pretty obvious and clearcut. I know it's difficult, but I do wonder if it is taking too much away really. At the very least I think we need a far more sensible interpretation of onside where being level means you are onside. It only exists to stop goalhanging, it doesn't matter if a striker is a mm or two Infront.
    I think it should be the “full body” of the attacking player past the offside line.

Just because his toenail is past the line, he shouldn’t be deemed offside, he’s just faster than the defender

Very good response from O’Neil, no ranting and raving, a well measured view on the situation. Something does need to be done, personally, I’d bin it but I think it’s too far down the line universally.

A big problem with VAR is when you slow the replay down it makes things look a lot worse. In real time the contact on Harry Wilson was minimal and he went down easily. When you slow the replay down, rewind it a few times then freeze frame it , you could see there was some slight contact so then the refs feel obliged to give it . I think VAR is actually encouraging players to look for contact in the area and go down

Use it to retrospectively send off the diving ponces

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Good interview but he is being a little one eyed. "Headbutt" is stretching it and both the Fulham first pen and the Wolves were soft. Wilson was clever for the second Fulham pen but its a pen.
    If wilson was clever but it's a pen then it's also soft but it's clearly a head butt and a sending off

Not heard the interview yet but whatever he has said I'm sure will be solid, I would put him top of the tree in the spell he had with us, my fav mid fielder even though it was a short spell what a refreshing change he was to the one paced cloggers we had at the time.

cracked me up watching the highlights, Fulham score a 94th minute goal to win a 5 goal thriller, and the Fulham fans give it a polite ripple of applause, like they're at the Sheffield crucible

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Impressed by his calm clear articulation of his concerns. And he’s quite correct about people’s jobs being at risk. His being the obvious one for any pruning

I watched the game and was going to post something regarding the shambles that is VAR and how poor O'Neil and his team seem to be on the end of bad or at least marginal decisions.
    I didn't bother though as it becomes tiresome talking about VAR all the time, plus I couldn't really feel sorry for Wolves

I'm not sure whether it is better to keep it all in, as seems to be O'Neil's strategy, or go all Arteta ranting and raving.
    What I am sure about though is that VAR has not improved the beautiful game for the better.

I would bin it for the simple reason that it is an excuse to "bend the rules" usually in favour of the bigger more powerful clubs.
    Therefore, it ain't gonna happen, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I watched the game and was going to post something regarding the shambles that is VAR and how poor O'Neil and his team seem to be on the end of bad or at least marginal decisions.
    I didn't bother though as it becomes tiresome talking about VAR all the time, plus I couldn't really feel sorry for Wolves

I'm not sure whether it is better to keep it all in, as seems to be O'Neil's strategy, or go all Arteta ranting and raving.
    What I am sure about though is that VAR has not improved the beautiful game for the better.

I would bin it for the simple reason that it is an excuse to "bend the rules" usually in favour of the bigger more powerful clubs.
    Therefore, it ain't gonna happen, is it?
    Seems VAR helped PSG tonight in the last minute tonight, it does make you wonder about it helping the bigger clubs

The technology for whether the ball crossed the line or not works perfectly. If they could get something similar for offsides which delivered a quick and correct decision, I’d use that, but bin everything else because they are just subjective decisions a ref would make anyway - it’s more trouble than it’s worth currently.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Seems VAR helped PSG tonight in the last minute tonight, it does make you wonder about it helping the bigger clubs
    When we were in the Prem they used the lack of VAR to make sure bigger teams got the decisions, that was far more blatant because they had the excuse it was too fast we couldn't see it.

Now they still favour the bigger teams but it happens less as it is harder to get away with it, so overall it's slightly improved the fairness, in a very biased towards big teams unfair league.

If there was no VAR, Wolves would probably have less points.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I noticed there were a couple of instances where the ref stood tall and made brave decisions which didn't go PSG's way and I doubt anyone would have complained whether he had given the pelanty or not had there been no VAR available.

The referee made the correct decision and was press ganged into changing his mind (possibly by some faceless techno geek with his own agenda?)

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    When we were in the Prem they used the lack of VAR to make sure bigger teams got the decisions, that was far more blatant because they had the excuse it was too fast we couldn't see it.

Now they still favour the bigger teams but it happens less as it is harder to get away with it, so overall it's slightly improved the fairness, in a very biased towards big teams unfair league.

If there was no VAR, Wolves would probably have less points.
    Fair comments although I would say that the referee sees and hears virtually everything that goes on on the pitch, so much more than any spectator or adjudicator with a TV and slo-mo. He has a proper "feel" of the game.

Having seen that farcical decision for PSG's pelanty, VAR has somehow managed to turn round completely the referee's correct (in 99% of people's minds) decision.

The big decisions in the Wolves game could have gone either way. VAR does not help IMHO, it hinders.

Oh for the days where the referee had sole ownership of his decision, whether right or wrong, and the term "the referee's decision is final" becoming common speak again.

The bigger clubs pushed for VAR and are benefitting not the smaller clubs like Wolves, no doubt about that in my mind.