+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Eight different speed limits on a two mile stretch of road, only in Wales!

International

Eight different speed limits on a two mile stretch of road, only in Wales!

Well done Drippy I hope you're proud of yourself!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olled-out.html

Is this Wales' most confusing road? Two-mile stretch has EIGHT speed changes - with drivers going from 20 to 30, 40 and 60mph - after Mark Drakeford's new limits were rolled out.

A single road in Wales has eight speed limit changes in less than two miles after Mark Drakeford's hated 20mph restrictions were rolled out.

One 30mph limit stretch of the A4222 in Aberthin, Vale of Glamorgan, is 520ft (160m) long - reportedly taking just 14 seconds to drive through.

Vale of Glamorgan council said the road's speed limits aligned with Welsh government legislation but it would be added to a list of sites to review.

The restrictions were put in place after Wales changed its default speed limits from 30mph to 20mph in September this year, sparking uproar from furious commuters across the country.

The road in Aberthin also includes shifts from 40mph to 60mph in the space of just 1.8miles (2.9km) - with each new road sign costing around £1,000 to install.

Local villager Aberthin Williams told the BBC: 'It's a complete anomaly, it makes no sense whatsoever.'

She added: 'It takes your mind off paying attention to other drivers and taking your eyes off the road as you're looking at the speedometer.'

Peter Williams, who walks his dog through the area, said: 'It's totally confusing with so many speed changes on the stretch of road.'

The council revealed the cost to fit a standard posts and signs adds up to an average of £1,044.52.

The cost of the policy throughout Wales is so far around £34.4million - with Vale of Glamorgan council revealing it spent £1,854,573.

A Vale of Glamorgan Council spokesperson said: 'The speed limits for this stretch of road have been set in accordance with Welsh Government legislation and guidance, including The Restricted Roads (20 mph Speed Limit) (Wales) Order passed by the Senedd in July 2022.

'The criteria applied for roads to be designated 20mph is the same as previously used to categorise them as 30mph, specifically the presence of street lighting. This means they are described as restricted roads.

'All new default 20mph roads and those that have remained at 30mph will be reviewed after a suitable bedding in period has passed. This is to ensure that speed limits are set in a consistent manner, which is appropriate for their environment, traffic volume and other factors.

'The Council will add the above location to its list of sites to review. These will be assessed against additional Welsh Government guidance once it is available.'

Drivers previously shared their misery after 20mph speed limits were imposed by their local councils.

Hard-working drivers said they are contending with laws that force them to crawl from A to B.

Critics told MailOnline the restriction is 'stupid', and claim the speed reductions have clogged roads with gridlock and doubled commuting times, and that some drivers are simply ignoring the law to tear along streets at 50mph.

Others questioned how the limit will be enforced - as drivers seeking a faster way to their destination turn side-streets into 'rat-runs', potentially increasing the risk of accidents.

Last week Wales's war on motorists continued as drivers are facing a double blow after a report called for a Ulez-style congestion charge in Cardiff and for buses to be exempt from 20mph limits.

Mark Drakeford's Welsh Labour Government was accused of waging a 'war on motorists' with its plans for drivers to ditch their cars and take up public transport.

Independent research body Centre for Cities said bus travel needs to be able to go faster than cars - and suggests they are exempt from the default 20mph limits.

The TUC-sponsored report by the charity also recommends an Ulez-style congestion charge in Cardiff - with drivers facing a £3 daily charge.

Re: Eight different speed limits on a two mile stretch of road, only in Wales!

This had extensive coverage on BBCWales news.
    It will "be reviewed" at some point.
    Hopefully the whole policy will be reversed.

That stretch had limits of 60, 40 and 30 in the past, so what will be reviewed? The 20mph stretches will stay, so will they extend the 30, or reduce the 60 to 40?
    Stretches like that aren't uncommon in France where you have a series of main roads passing through villages.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That stretch had limits of 60, 40 and 30 in the past, so what will be reviewed? The 20mph stretches will stay, so will they extend the 30, or reduce the 60 to 40?
    Stretches like that aren't uncommon in France where you have a series of main roads passing through villages.
    Well between this short and specific road, and the angry pensioner with poor driving skills from Cornwall writing a letter, they clearly need to have a rethink

If we are dropping speeds to 20 mph to possibly save a few lives then we should ban alcohol as it kills thousands

For someone who said just a few short weeks ago that hes gotten past letting Drakeford winding him up anymore youve got a funny way of showing it.

Moron.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    For someone who said just a few short weeks ago that hes gotten past letting Drakeford winding him up anymore youve got a funny way of showing it.

Moron.
    What are you on about now you thicko?

I posted a link, anyone with a brain cell can see that a two-mile stretch shouldn't have eight different speed limits?

Stop trying to deflect you thicko!

I'd be astonished if this makes that stretch of toad safer. You'd spend most of the two miles looking at your speedo.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I'd be astonished if this makes that stretch of toad safer. You'd spend most of the two miles looking at your speedo.
    Exactly and you still have the odd idiot still saving don't have a go at Drippy it's fine, thankfully 99% have given up and realised it's absolute madness and undefendable

What is so hard about changeing gears and looking at the road signs.

If only there was a way for the local council to review this and decide what is appropriate.
    Oh wait, there is and they are. Yawn.

If the government mandated speed limiters then the frequent speed limit changes wouldn’t be a problem. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    What is so hard about changeing gears and looking at the road signs.
    And checking your speedo constantly. Come to that what's so hard about driving generally, and yet we seem to have a lot of road accidents. Maybe they're all incompetent drivers or lunatics?

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    If only there was a way for the local council to review this and decide what is appropriate.
    Oh wait, there is and they are. Yawn.
    Not sure why you would respond to a thread you find so boring?

I live 2 mins walk from that road

The biggest problem there is at school run time

Parents in their cars dropping off kids , loads of potential accidents every day as with every school

The speed limit changes are stupid though and I think it should be dropped

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If we are dropping speeds to 20 mph to possibly save a few lives then we should ban alcohol as it kills thousands
    Wonder how many doctors, nurses and extra beds could have been opened up if Drakeford and co hadn’t blown hundreds of millions on vanity projects like this, the airport, m4 relief etc….save a good few lives no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wonder how many doctors, nurses and extra beds could have been opened up if Drakeford and co hadn’t blown hundreds of millions on vanity projects like this, the airport, m4 relief etc….save a good few lives no doubt
    Well wasting money and screwing up is what all governments do

The Tories have spent 13 years at it

With regard to drakeford I think he's moved from being a reasonable minister to an incompetent liability and if he resigned I would be pleased

But I won't want a tory replacing him and the majority of Wales doesn't either

Well wasting money and screwing up is what all governments do

The Tories have spent 13 years at it

With regard to drakeford I think he's moved from being a reasonable minister to an incompetent liability and if he resigned I would be pleased

But I won't want a tory replacing him and the majority of Wales doesn't either
    Sure, the problem is people will just vote for almost anyone in a protest vote, bit like the last election where folk in the north of England where there had never been anything but Labour voted Tory, prob for the first time….can’t see it happening in Wales though, most are too stupid and scared of change. I very much doubt those people will ever vote Tory again…..
    We’re stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place. Looking forward to hearing about the 12-15 hr waits for an ambulance in the next few months, took my 90 yr old mum in myself a year ago after waiting forever…..still, at least we can crawl around the city eh? Everyone’s so safe.

I live 2 mins walk from that road

The biggest problem there is at school run time

Parents in their cars dropping off kids , loads of potential accidents every day as with every school

The speed limit changes are stupid though and I think it should be dropped
    So do you think the limit should be 20 or 30 outside the school?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    So do you think the limit should be 20 or 30 outside the school?
    20 , outside all schools

As for the rest I would have left it as it was

The daft idiot has just handed a stick to the Tories to beat him with

He really is incompetent and I hope he steps down as soon as possible

International

20 , outside all schools

As for the rest I would have left it as it was

The daft idiot has just handed a stick to the Tories to beat him with

He really is incompetent and I hope he steps down as soon as possible
    He makes Boris the clown look like Einstein!

Is there any way you can ignore threads made by specific posters and not just replies?

£1,044.52 to install a sign!! Aren't they just swapping 30 for 20 for the majority too, think we need to review of the tender process for this work as well as the limit changes