+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sin-bin proposed for football now?

Sin-bin proposed for football now?

I heard the last part of a snippet on Radio 4's Today programme, something about trying the rugby sin-bin idea in football but can't find anything on the BBC website. Anyone know anything about it?

I have advocated this for some time. I can see it would be very useful for dealing with stuff like "professional" fouls and deliberate diving.

Re: Sin-bin proposed for football now?

Apparently Merse not too enamoured with the prospect

''That's NOT football!' - Merse launches into epic rant about sin bins!'

http://www.skysports.com/share/13019130

I can't see it working.

It’s just another thing for refs and VAR to get wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't see it working.
    Why not? Yellow cards get dished out by refs for "professional" fouls and diving now. The difference would be that in addition to the yellow card the player would be sent off for 15 minutes or so. I think it would stamp out a lot of those type of offences.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I heard the last part of a snippet on Radio 4's Today programme, something about trying the rugby sin-bin idea in football but can't find anything on the BBC website. Anyone know anything about it?

I have advocated this for some time. I can see it would be very useful for dealing with stuff like "professional" fouls and deliberate diving.
    Its already being used in local leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Its already being used in local leagues.
    Is that right - I didn't know that. That's interesting.

Is that right - I didn't know that. That's interesting.
    Only a handful. The Alliance league is one around here. It's quite widespread across England. I expect more leagues to be added to it next season.

It's only for dissent.

Why not? Yellow cards get dished out by refs for "professional" fouls and diving now. The difference would be that in addition to the yellow card the player would be sent off for 15 minutes or so. I think it would stamp out a lot of those type of offences.
    Because football is so contentious, the game lends itself towards that. I really think that a sin bin would create even more problems for officials. Culturally society has changed, this may have worked thirty years ago, not in the modern game. Certain aspects of our game, particularly the bad stuff has been allowed to flourish. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but for all of my footballing supporting life the game has never been fair, and for me, that's one of the biggest attractions, that unpredictability that can't be controlled. I get it, but i've never been one to get too upst over injustice in sport, so i'm probably being a bit selfish.

All for it, always have been.
    Why should another club benefit from a player being banned !

If a player commits a bad foul, 10/15 minutes off the pitch, benefits the team he’s playing against at that moment, not some team weeks down the road

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

If a player commits a bad foul, 10/15 minutes off the pitch, benefits the team he’s playing against at that moment, not some team weeks down the road
    Sounds logical, the only problem is the team with ten men just stick everyone in defence for the ten or fifteen minutes, so it would kill the game for a while, then it would change again when the player comes back on.

I can't see it happening there are too many changes already.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Isn't it only being proposed for dissent - not bad fouls?

If for dissent just send them off immediately.

It will be carnage for a few weeks tops, when clubs start losing matches and players banned weekly the culture of respect within the game towards officiating will change very quickly. Start it from grassroots.

No need for faffing about with 10 minute sin bins.

I've watched a game in the South Wales Alliance League where a player received the 'blue', then a 'yellow' after coming back on and then a 'red'. All within 20 minutes.

Said player's defence is he was 'wound up' by the 'blue'.

He is thick as fuuck mind.

Doesn't dissent usually mean a yellow? Keep it as that.

I remember getting sent off for calling a referee a "fuucking knobhead" which I thought at the time was appalling but later "fair enough".

His refereeing was utter bolllocks mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I've watched a game in the South Wales Alliance League where a player received the 'blue', then a 'yellow' after coming back on and then a 'red'. All within 20 minutes.

Said player's defence is he was 'wound up' by the 'blue'.

He is thick as fuuck mind.

Doesn't dissent usually mean a yellow? Keep it as that.

I remember getting sent off for calling a referee a "fuucking knobhead" which I thought at the time was appalling but later "fair enough".

His refereeing was utter bolllocks mind.
    We had a sweepstake for the first sin bin for our club which is in the Alliance League.

It didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Start it from grassroots.
    It’s been used at grassroots since 2019, where it’s had decent results, hence the consideration to introduce it in the top tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    If for dissent just send them off immediately.

It will be carnage for a few weeks tops, when clubs start losing matches and players banned weekly the culture of respect within the game towards officiating will change very quickly. Start it from grassroots.

No need for faffing about with 10 minute sin bins.
    Totally agree.

From the very little international rugby I’ve been forced to watch they don’t seem to have the same issue as football. Captains only speaking to refs and red card for dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    We had a sweepstake for the first sin bin for our club which is in the Alliance League.

It didn't last long.
    The matches I've watched (I'm considering the standard of football here) the 'blue' card has had very little effect in terms of discipline or the match itself.

For me it's complicated things although I suppose it's early days?

Yellow card for dissent, keep it simple. Chops at the ref twice, off you pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't see it working.
    Whereas I have little faith that it would actually be implemented properly something has to be done about reducing dissent and the professional foul, surely?

Sin bins for dissent had just been introduced in youth foot here in Surrey just as my youngest finished playing and they worked well albeit at an entirely different level of the game.

I always liked it when refs very occasionally ‘worked with’ a manager over the behaviour of a player to give the manager every chance to take corrective action with the player before the ref had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Whereas I have little faith that it would actually be implemented properly something has to be done about reducing dissent and the professional foul, surely?

Sin bins for dissent had just been introduced in youth foot here in Surrey just as my youngest finished playing and they worked well albeit at an entirely different level of the game.

I always liked it when refs very occasionally ‘worked with’ a manager over the behaviour of a player to give the manager every chance to take corrective action with the player before the ref had to.
    I can just picture this scenario of the referee 'working with' Jose Mourinho

I dont like all the tinkering that goes on with the "simple" game of football, though I agree that the referee abuse has got out of hand.
    Abusing, diving/cheating are now part of the modern game unfortunately.

I remember everyone in Britain being up in arms regarding the cynical "cheating continental players" rolling around like they are hurt trying to get the opposing player booked.
    It is now commonplace.

Be interesting to see the results of these trials, certainly at early levels I think it would help in the longer term and get the respect back.
    I am a bit cynical about introducing it at pro level though.