+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

BBC LIcence Fee Hike

£15 rise wanted, Government not happy. It’s about time the Corporation was partly funded by advertising.

International

Re: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    £15 rise wanted, Government not happy. It’s about time the Corporation was partly funded by advertising.
    Lots of people have stopped paying haven't they, since they made the pensioners pay again, they don't seem to enforce it like they used to, maybe harder to do so now?

I've always thought they should just fund it through income tax. it would at least be progressive then

Since the fee was frozen, and pensioners given an exemption, the service has had to make huge cuts due to the drop in licence revenue. Its not surprising they want a relatively big increase. Either allow it or allow them to collect advertising revenue.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Since the fee was frozen, and pensioners given an exemption, the service has had to make huge cuts due to the drop in licence revenue. Its not surprising they want a relatively big increase. Either allow it or allow them to collect advertising revenue.
    Turn them private no one wants to pay for it, give Lineker and co a pay cut, if they can make it work through advertising great if not they can do some streaming channels or something.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You have to be over75 to get it free, not just of pension age.

I think a significant increase could well lead to a lot of people re-evaluating the value they get from "live" tv as opposed to streaming/catch-up services.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Turn them private no one wants to pay for it, give Lineker and co a pay cut, if they can make it work through advertising great if not they can do some streaming channels or something.
    I'm happy to pay it as I think it's good value for money. Just this weekend we've watched Have I got News for you, Match of the Day (1 and 2), Planet Earth 3, Doctor Who, listened to some music on BBC Sounds and read numerous News and Sport stories on the website.

If we to rely just on Streamers we wouldn't have anywhere near as much local news and sport coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm happy to pay it as I think it's good value for money. Just this weekend we've watched Have I got News for you, Match of the Day (1 and 2), Planet Earth 3, Doctor Who, listened to some music on BBC Sounds and read numerous News and Sport stories on the website.

If we to rely just on Streamers we wouldn't have anywhere near as much local news and sport coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

:thimbup:

Where would we be without those Attenborough wildlife documentaries?

Did you wee those macaques nicking mobile phones and bartering to give them back? Clever monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    I think a significant increase could well lead to a lot of people re-evaluating the value they get from "live" tv as opposed to streaming/catch-up services.
    They potentially will, but if an increase doesn't happen, then they can expect further cuts to the beebs output.
    I also thinks it's quite ironic that the government are citing the cost of living as an argument against the proposed increase.

People can re-evaluate all they like, but these are the facts regarding annual costs of the licence and the most popular streaming services. With all that you get from the BBC my view is it's worth every penny.

Sky (Bloody everything) £948
    Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    BBC £159 (Proposed increase to £174)
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

It seems it's the right are the ones who are most against the licence as long as it gets rid of Lineker and the rest of his woke ilk. Isn't it Murdoch and his rags that seem to shout the loudest about abolishing the licence fee? Wonder why

The BBC is far from perfect

I wish it had alternatives to the current radio 5 or radio 4 24 hour radio for example

But it's advert free and if it disappears then we will be left with utter rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    People can re-evaluate all they like, but these are the facts regarding annual costs of the licence and the most popular streaming services. With all that you get from the BBC my view is it's worth every penny.

Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

It seems it's the right are the ones who are most against the licence as long as it gets rid of Lineker and the rest of his woke ilk. Isn't it Murdoch and his rags that seem to shout the loudest about abolishing the licence fee? Wonder why
    You may well be right in terms of the paid services but for those "feeling the pinch" financially the comparison is to the plethora of free services that provide plenty of tv shows and movies.

The BBC is far from perfect

I wish it had alternatives to the current radio 5 or radio 4 24 hour radio for example

But it's advert free and if it disappears then we will be left with utter rubbish

What the BBC needs to do is pull back on the wages it pays which don't do it any favours

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Means tested now.In other words you have to be on pension credit

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post

Sky (Basic Package) £228
    Netflix £216
    Disney £109
    Apple TV £108
    Prime Video £95
    Paramount + £83
    ITV X £60

I quite like the bbc, no policical issue, don’t really care about that. Other than with Sky which is usually fixed contract all the rest you can opt in and out of with a click of a button. Other than my wife watching strictly we very rarely, if ever watch BBC so £174 is expensive. I simple opt in option for the bbc would solve any issues.

Lots of people have stopped paying haven't they, since they made the pensioners pay again, they don't seem to enforce it like they used to, maybe harder to do so now?
    Just for accuracy, the Tory Government wouldn't fund the free TV licenses and expected the BBC to pick up the tab. The Beeb refused.

The moment the BBC starts advertising is the moment their impartiality goes out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Only if you’re on Pension Credits, if not you have to pay. I missed out of a free licence by 2 months and would have had at least one year free, now I pay the full whack

You still have to pay, covers all media, from tv to radio to streaming on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No, it's not.
    Oh yes it is

Funding it with advertising would mean the existing budgets of advertisers being stretched even more thinly, so less money for ITV, C4, C5, Sky etc and fewer new programmes being made.