+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

Re: BBC LIcence Fee Hike

[QUOTE=cantonboy;5472856]You have to be over75 to get it free, not just of pension age.[/

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just for accuracy, the Tory Government wouldn't fund the free TV licenses and expected the BBC to pick up the tab. The Beeb refused.
    Was a very clever move by George Osborne. BBC get blamed. Tories more than happy to force BBC go commercial.

Radio 4 is worth the licence fee on its own.

It has educated me about astronomy, history, biology, philosophy, geography, language, sociology, the world at large and a lot else.
    The Infinite Monkey Cage, In The Psychiatrist's Chair, In Our Time, From Our Own Correspondent, Word Of Mouth, Thinking Allowed, The Moral Maze, The Life Scientific, The Re-union, All In The Mind, File on 4, Great Lives and More or Less are just some of the excellent programmes that have helped in the field of erudition of this humble soul.

And then there's I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Oh yes it is
    Christmas smileys!!!

You still have to pay, covers all media, from tv to radio to streaming on your computer.
    The licence fee is to watch (or record) "live" broadcast tv and for access to the BBC i-player. It is not required for any use of radio or using a TV or computer to watch any other service that is not "live".

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    The licence fee is to watch (or record) "live" broadcast tv and for access to the BBC i-player. It is not required for any use of radio or using a TV or computer to watch any other service that is not "live".
    Think you should check it out, who do you think pays for BBC Radio channels?

Easy fix:

1 - Scrap the license fee

2 - Take the money out of general taxation - last year license fee raised £3.8 billion this is 0.3% of government expenditure annually.

3 - Ring-fence this funding (e.g. 25 years) fix it to inflation, cross-partisan agreement with an independent financial regulator. Now the BBC can reap the benefits of long term certainty and budget planning, outside of party politics.

4 - BBC also benefits from saving a fair bit of its budget in enforcing, administrating and processing the license fee every year for millions of people.

5 - Continue making exceptional world class content in peace.

Think you should check it out, who do you think pays for BBC Radio channels?
    JPG my apologies you don’t need a licence for radio now,.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    You have to be over 75 to get it free, not just of pension age.
    AND receiving Pension Credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    AND receiving Pension Credit.
    Sorry......guess I just like 'repeats'.

Its not 1923 anymore, the world has moved on, and habits are changing

Up to 10 years ago Newsnight was compulsory viewing for me, showered during the news at 10, into bed to watch Newsnight with my Ovaltine. Ever since streaming my routine has gone to pot, but so have Newsnight viewing figures.

Do the BBC have to pay top dollar for the six nations & MoTD ? Does it need four channels and a streaming platform? Should it even be in competition with commercial TV for "talent". Discover someone then if commercial TV want them, let them take them and find the next big thing.

A lot of BBC programmes make money, but the Saturday night fight with ITV needs to stop, the only winner is "the talent". We do need the BBC, but not like the last 100 years, adapt or die and IMO £2 a week is enough when you have to pay when you compare that to the other choices its great value, but thats because not everyone has to pay for Sky or streaming services.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

It has educated me about astronomy, history, biology, philosophy, geography, language, sociology, the world at large and a lot else.
    The Infinite Monkey Cage, In The Psychiatrist's Chair, In Our Time, From Our Own Correspondent, Word Of Mouth, Thinking Allowed, The Moral Maze, The Life Scientific, The Re-union, All In The Mind, File on 4, Great Lives and More or Less are just some of the excellent programmes that have helped in the field of erudition of this humble soul.

Agree. My radio is set to Radio 4 by default. That includes BBC Sounds R4 on my phone and the car radio too!

I have always had a licence, and whilst its enforced always will have, however, I begrudge giving that organisation 1 penny, the moment the BBC becomes non essential to watch a TV, it will be ditched.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Agree. My radio is set to Radio 4 by default. That includes BBC Sounds R4 on my phone and the car radio too!
    And Radio 4 extra

The quality is good but it's all painfully leftwing though, so are you being educated or indoctrinated?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    The quality is good but it's all painfully leftwing though, so are you being educated or indoctrinated?
    Care to explain, giving examples?

I could suggest that the Beeb's politics output verges on the political right. As an example, one Newsnight host said recently that one reason she quit the show was their impartiality policy, in that, at all times, both points of view where there were sides should have the opportunity to be spoken. The reason for her not always agreeing with this was that there were times when virtually all experts agreed in their view of something, yet they had to find some crackpot to give an alternative, when that alternative was clearly wrong.

If I was easily indoctrinated I would probably engage on one side or another in the endless and often tiresome left v right spats on here.
    I belong to no herd and consider myself to have enough nous not to swallow anything whole, as it were - and most of the programmes I listed have little to do with didactic politics anyway.

yes I also enjoy most of these - with the exception of the Moral Maze, which I often find unlistenable. many of their regular contributors I find overly arrogant and don't make any real attempt to engage with the arguments they are presented with, just try to ram their own points home

bizarre post, what is even remotely left wing about, for example, in our time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You have to wonder why someone with such strong opinions as NinianOpinion1927 took 7.5 months to start airing his opinions after registration. Still he's down the slipway now and I am sure there will be no stopping him!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You have to wonder why someone with such strong opinions as NinianOpinion1927 took 7.5 months to start airing his opinions after registration. Still he's down the slipway now and I am sure there will be no stopping him!
    He must be getting to you though as the multi post has appeared again

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    He must be getting to you though as the multi post has appeared again
    Gosh that was quick

The current big wigs at the BBC are a person who has donated to the Tories and the other tried to get elected as a Conservative local Councillor

Shove it

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The people who think the BBC is left wing are generally one nation , daily mail reading fruitcakes

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The people who think the BBC is left wing are generally one nation , daily mail reading fruitcakes
    Yes, they generally think of themselves as in the centre ground of politics, that actual centrist stuff is left wing and NHS supporters come from the far left.