+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Erol Bulut spells out where Cardiff City can finish in revealing Turkish interview

International

Erol Bulut spells out where Cardiff City can finish in revealing Turkish interview

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-28222802

Erol Bulut believes a top-10 finish would represent real success for Cardiff City this season, but believes that a successful January transfer window could see his side achieve the ultimate goal of reaching the play-offs in May.

The Bluebirds have started the season better than any other campaign since the promotion year under Neil Warnock. Considering they are coming off the back of two transfer windows in which they were unable to pay fees for anyone, and two years battling relegation, it's been pretty impressive.

Bulut is understanding of the situation. But he is ambitious, too. He appreciates this squad has made huge strides since last season, but he wants more. That being said, it seems a pretty measured ambition to finish inside the top 10 this season, at the very least it would give them an excellent base from which to launch next season.

"I'm always someone with targets. I have targets that I convey to my footballers as well. We mustn't forget that over the past two years, this club has faced significant troubles," he told IHA.

"Last season, if Reading hadn't had their six-point deduction, Cardiff City would have been relegated from the league. They would have played in League One this season. They stayed in the Championship that way and then we came in.

"Despite our transfer ban we managed to make a few transfers. We didn't have a chance to make transfers while giving a transfer fee. We could only acquire loan players or free transfers. We completed nine transfers in that manner.

"If you ask, 'Are you satisfied with the current situation?' Yes, I am. The club is content, the fans are content, the city is content. But if you ask, 'Is it sufficient?' I cannot say it is, because we always need to strive for more.

"The club's intention to finish the league in a good position is admirable, but my aim is to finish the season within the top 10. If we make transfers in January, we can push for the play-offs. God willing, we can achieve that."

With just seven months remaining on his initial one-year deal with the Bluebirds, Bulut is comfortable with his situation. "I signed a one-year contract with Cardiff City," he said. "The club is expressing their satisfaction at the moment. The fans and the city want us to continue. If everything goes well, we will sit down in a few months and discuss the details of a new contract."

Bulut spoke about how well the club was doing amid the backdrop of parachute payments, financial backing which is unique to the UK. Teams who have been relegated from the Premier League within the last three seasons will be receiving millions of pounds in parachute payments and Bulut feels that Cardiff, who were operating under an embargo in the last two windows, being within striking distance of the league's big boys is a commendable achievement.

"While everyone thinks of us among the bottom five or six teams (financially), we are currently operating around the play-off zone. You can understand from there how successful a job we have done. And we had financial difficulties in transfers. You couldn't make those transfers.

"Nevertheless, the team is performing this way and pushing for the play-offs. God willing, by the end of the season we can earn the chance to get promoted to the Premier League by the play-offs.

"God willing, by the end of the season we will be in the top six. That is one of our targets. Of course, it depends on the transfers we'll make in January."

Managers in Turkey change at a rate of knots. While it is becoming more like that now in this country, Bulut is enjoying Championship football. He believes the second tier is probably the sixth or seventh best league in Europe and the standard is higher than the Turksih Superlig across the board.

He sees himself staying here for years to come. "I am content where I am right now," he added. "Whether it's in the Championship or the Premier League, working here for many years within my targets."

He sees himself staying here for years to come. "I am content where I am right now," he added. "Whether it's in the Championship or the Premier League, working here for many years within my targets."

Re: Erol Bulut spells out where Cardiff City can finish in revealing Turkish interview

Bulut and Tan - the 'God Willing' boys!

Re: Erol Bulut spells out where Cardiff City can finish in revealing Turkish interview

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-28222802
    "Last season, if Reading hadn't had their six-point deduction, Cardiff City would have been relegated from the league. They would have played in League One this season. They stayed in the Championship that way and then we came in.
    nothing screams desperate like looking at something with a specific lense on it..

We completely took our foot off the gas like 6 games before the end so. That kind of matters when it comes to the "what ifs"

I'm judging the bulut by his actions right now...and so far almost none of them make sense at all

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Bulut and Tan - the 'God Willing' boys!
    Muslims, you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    nothing screams desperate like looking at something with a specific lense on it..

We completely took our foot off the gas like 6 games before the end so. That kind of matters when it comes to the "what ifs"

I'm judging the bulut by his actions right now...and so far almost none of them make sense at all
    Not strictly true but you're right enough. With 5 games to go we won 7 points, then lost the last two. We knew we were safe prior to the Huddersfield defeat, where we barely broke sweat. Once we were safe, nothing matters. Where we finished after 46 games was irrelevant. There were other sides in a similar position to us with a few games to go, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post

Mind boggles. Where do you think we should be?

I've been impressed with Bulut overall.

He hasn't made every perfect decision but it's been night and day to the absolute car crash we were last season.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Muslims, you mean?
    No I don't.

I mean both of them seem fond of the 'God Willing' sign off - and Bulut was using it a lot in that Turkish interview.

I assume Bulut is Muslim, if he is anything. But Vincent Tan isn't - he (and Ken Choo) is a Buddhist.

".......... the fans are content", what is he smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Mind boggles. Where do you think we should be?

I've been impressed with Bulut overall.

He hasn't made every perfect decision but it's been night and day to the absolute car crash we were last season.
    Try to relax that overly stressed mind. I'll draw it out for you

I didn't say anything about where in the table we should be. I said buluts ACTIONS have not made any sense to me.

• Questionable subs (and their timing)
    • Starting lineups
    • Decision to park the bus as soon as we go ahead. Especially against teams that thrive on attack
    • Formations (changed to a central 3 in midfield randomly for a spout of games when all was going well earlier in the season and it cost us)
    • Tactics - playing NG on the left just to bring in Romeo over Panzo? a bad situation made worse
    • Random halfs of hoofball when we clearly dont play well that way!
    • Playing Meite who has only scored one goal when we have people on the bench who have done better with less game time

The list goes on but I'm starting to feel like I'm going around in circles. I don't expect you to suddenly agree with me but i couldn't resist the rant

I can appreciate people watch the sport for different reasons. Some just compare numbers between previous seasons to gauge how happy they are. Personally? I'm here to be entertained and to hope for promotion..i actually watch the team rather than the stats and numbers