+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It was fifty eight years today.

It was fifty eight years today.

Continuing the Beatles theme, they played their last concert in the UK (roof top renditions apart) at the Capitol in Cardiff on 12 December 1965 - did anyone on here go?

Re: It was fifty eight years today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Continuing the Beatles theme, they played their last concert in the UK (roof top renditions apart) at the Capitol in Cardiff on 12 December 1965 - did anyone on here go?
    It was mentioned last night, bit of a coup for us

So we seen off the Beatles, we seen off Gene Pitney,were there any other “last shows” in Cardiff ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    So we seen off the Beatles, we seen off Gene Pitney,were there any other “last shows” in Cardiff ?
    Lena Zavaroni.

Maybe it’s best if the list starts and ends with the Beatles and Gene Pitney.

I remember the gig but didn’t go. I do, however, remember that on the same bill that night was The magnificently named Erkey Grant and the Earwigs. I don’t think their career trajectory was quite the same as the band topping the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I remember the gig but didn’t go. I do, however, remember that on the same bill that night was The magnificently named Erkey Grant and the Earwigs. I don’t think their career trajectory was quite the same as the band topping the bill.

Most of our managers never work again…..

Pope John Paul II?

Jock Stein

I would have liked to have gone but I was in my first term in uni in London and could not afford to make two return trips home in the same month!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Pope John Paul II?
    Not quite, he lived a good 20 odd years more after his Cardiff visit.

Turning this on it's head, Slade were the last band to play the Sophia Gardens Pavilion before it fell down. Fittingly, We'll Bring the House down was on their set list.

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    Turning this on it's head, Slade were the last band to play the Sophia Gardens Pavilion before it fell down. Fittingly, We'll Bring the House down was on their set list.
    The roof collapsed in the snow ?

I was due to see UFO but it was transferred to the top rank

Great gig

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The roof collapsed in the snow ?

I was due to see UFO but it was transferred to the top rank

Great gig
    What is that place now? Has it gone completely? Astoria, Panama joes…..had some great nights in there. Sure I saw Oasis in there before they became what they are….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What is that place now? Has it gone completely? Astoria, Panama joes…..had some great nights in there. Sure I saw Oasis in there before they became what they are….
    It's gone now. I think Matalan is where it was. I saw the Oasis gig when they released their first album. It was the Astoria then. Fantastic gig although when I realised quite how thick and annoying they were I never listened to them again.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not quite, he lived a good 20 odd years more after his Cardiff visit.
    But it was his last "gig" in the UK no?

Slight twist to the theme:

Bands whose last ever gig you were at. Joy Division at Birmingham Uni is mine. (...although thinking about it, it may just have been the last with IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Slight twist to the theme:

Bands whose last ever gig you were at. Joy Division at Birmingham Uni is mine. (...although thinking about it, it may just have been the last with IC)
    Queen at Knebworth for me.