+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Unhelpful Law Change

Unhelpful Law Change

The law stating that from a goal kick the ball will not now have to leave the 18 yard box before being played by another player has done for us. We show game after game that our defence has not got to grips with it. McGuinness & Goutas stand either side of our ‘keeper, one receives the ball from a three yard pass from the goalie, rolls it across to the other, then taps it back to the ‘keeper who taps it back to one of them again. The opposition forwards, by now, are licking their lips, “These lot haven’t got a clue or plan at all” they’re thinking.

Our midfield are static, watching this charade, admiring our ‘possession’. The ball eventually moves forward a few yards, until it’s (a) launched up field (which it could have been done initially, because there’s no way that we’re going to tippy tippy it through the team for fifty/sixty yards) or (b) it’s robbed by the opposition and it’s panic stations.

We just haven’t got the personnel to play this way, it’s frustrating and nerve wracking for us watching.

Re: Unhelpful Law Change

100%
    Just because you are allowed to do it, doesn't mean you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    100%
    Just because you are allowed to do it, doesn't mean you have to.
    Agree entirely...I'm definitely in the Sean Dyche school of thought.

its all 100% stat football, completed pass's are on the way up, possession aswell

happening at youth academy football, players judged on stat's

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The law stating that from a goal kick the ball will not now have to leave the 18 yard box before being played by another player has done for us. We show game after game that our defence has not got to grips with it. McGuinness & Goutas stand either side of our ‘keeper, one receives the ball from a three yard pass from the goalie, rolls it across to the other, then taps it back to the ‘keeper who taps it back to one of them again. The opposition forwards, by now, are licking their lips, “These lot haven’t got a clue or plan at all” they’re thinking.

Our midfield are static, watching this charade, admiring our ‘possession’. The ball eventually moves forward a few yards, until it’s (a) launched up field (which it could have been done initially, because there’s no way that we’re going to tippy tippy it through the team for fifty/sixty yards) or (b) it’s robbed by the opposition and it’s panic stations.

We just haven’t got the personnel to play this way, it’s frustrating and nerve wracking for us watching.
    Those 'panic stations' are the only bit of excitement you get watching City at the moment.

As soon as we lump it forward we lose possession anyway so we might as well knock it about at the back and keep people guessing whether it's going to end up with a) a throw in to the opposition or b) a goal to the opposition.

Came across this article from a Brum perspective

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ooney-28288453

Most interesting part for me is this sentence:

"Another tactical detail involved forcing Cardiff centre-back Mark McGuinness to play long balls on his weaker left side. “McGuinness is a right-footer, remember, so he might not have the quality on his left,” Robinson told the players."

I'm all for passing out of the back if you have the quality but it's plain that McGuinness is struggling to do it on his weaker side and it's being exploited. I don't understand why we persisted in it last night when it was blatantly not working.

But we have to start somewhere, this kind of play needs ironing out, it takes time. It's about drawing the opposition out, creating pockets of space to be exploited. In my opinion it's the right way to play, although i have no problem with those who hate it and who would prefer the keeper to whack it long. There's never likely a point where a club like ours will have all of the things in place for this style of play to be successful, but it has to start somewhere, and whether we like it or not, it isn't going away. Knocking the ball 60 yards onto someones head is basically conceding possession. Attempting to play out and create angles with movement and quick passes while drawing the opposition in is at least constructive. It may never come to fruition, but i think that we should try these things. Forwards don't initially commit either, they wait until the third pass as they know that if they over commit the ball can be played through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    But we have to start somewhere, this kind of play needs ironing out, it takes time. It's about drawing the opposition out, creating pockets of space to be exploited. In my opinion it's the right way to play, although i have no problem with those who hate it and who would prefer the keeper to whack it long. There's never likely a point where a club like ours will have all of the things in place for this style of play to be successful, but it has to start somewhere, and whether we like it or not, it isn't going away. Knocking the ball 60 yards onto someones head is basically conceding possession. Attempting to play out and create angles with movement and quick passes while drawing the opposition in is at least constructive. It may never come to fruition, but i think that we should try these things. Forwards don't initially commit either, they wait until the third pass as they know that if they over commit the ball can be played through them.
    But this is what I’m getting at, unless we lose the ball after the inter passing we inevitably do whack it long, so if our defenders do keep possession after a few passes it’s only delaying the whack forward. Our midfield aren’t switched on enough to find pockets of space for the passing to move up the pitch. Robinson did come back looking for a chance to link up with the defence when he came on. Perhaps you can understand our less skilful players fighting shy of the possibility of being caught out by demanding the ball but players like Colwill, who some see as a ray of light, fights shy as well.

Were obviously missing Ramsey linking up between front and back and it seems we have no other player capable of the role, Colwill, for me, just lets the game pass him by, perhaps it’s because he looks permanently knackered. It’s a position that needs addressing in January because, at the moment, we’re stuck in a hole playing both systems. No midfield guile to find space in the passing system and a 6ft 4 pussycat of a centre forward if we play long ball. It seems, lately, that we’re a dream to play against, so easy to suss out.

But this is what I’m getting at, unless we lose the ball after the inter passing we inevitably do whack it long, so if our defenders do keep possession after a few passes it’s only delaying the whack forward. Our midfield aren’t switched on enough to find pockets of space for the passing to move up the pitch. Robinson did come back looking for a chance to link up with the defence when he came on. Perhaps you can understand our less skilful players fighting shy of the possibility of being caught out by demanding the ball but players like Colwill, who some see as a ray of light, fights shy as well.

Were obviously missing Ramsey linking up between front and back and it seems we have no other player capable of the role, Colwill, for me, just lets the game pass him by, perhaps it’s because he looks permanently knackered. It’s a position that needs addressing in January because, at the moment, we’re stuck in a hole playing both systems. No midfield guile to find space in the passing system and a 6ft 4 pussycat of a centre forward if we play long ball. It seems, lately, that we’re a dream to play against, so easy to suss out.
    I just think it's about progress in terms of how we play. I'm all for it, but understand that others may not be enamoured by this new style of play. I get what you're saying, but i also think that (For the right reasons) that you're being a little defeatist. I'm of the opinion that it's about getting into good habits, and those good habits have to start somewhere, they have to be given a chance to succeed. There will be problems along the way, as there is right now, but i don't think that we should just stop because it isn't working. As time goes by players should get better at it, new players will arrive. If it means that mistakes are made in the sort term then so be it. Managers and coaches need time, and as long as i can see some sort of progress, which i can overall this season, then i'm prepared to stick with it.

With the personnel we have atm it's a complete load of bollocks.
    It just takes minutes out of the game which when chasing the game is playing into the opposition hands.
    It's made football a complete shit show for the spectators.
    I for 1 hate modern football and what it has become a stats based game of the Emperors clothes.

I just think it's about progress in terms of how we play. I'm all for it, but understand that others may not be enamoured by this new style of play. I get what you're saying, but i also think that (For the right reasons) that you're being a little defeatist. I'm of the opinion that it's about getting into good habits, and those good habits have to start somewhere, they have to be given a chance to succeed. There will be problems along the way, as there is right now, but i don't think that we should just stop because it isn't working. As time goes by players should get better at it, new players will arrive. If it means that mistakes are made in the sort term then so be it. Managers and coaches need time, and as long as i can see some sort of progress, which i can overall this season, then i'm prepared to stick with it.
    Agree entirely. Cardiff City have been synonymous with anti-football for more than a decade, which in the long-term has got us nowhere.

It might not be working particularly well at the moment but we have to stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Agree entirely. Cardiff City have been synonymous with anti-football for more than a decade, which in the long-term has got us nowhere.

It might not be working particularly well at the moment but we have to stick with it.

It’s so frustrating though for us fans and, no doubt, our management/coaching staff. Obviously the system is worked on through the week in training but it’s evident that it isn’t being carried out on match days. The coaching staff must hammer home to the players that the ball must move up the pitch and not just back and forth sideways until it’s lost (which is what usually happens), if it’s a hair tearing out situation for us what’s it like for them? But, football is a game of ‘mixing things up’ and throwing something else in is advisable. Our opposition lately have been schooled prior to playing us because we’re so predictable. It’s a similar throw back to our ‘long throw’ years when the game would stop while our big guns trundled up for Vaulks/Pack’s/Legg’s launch. It’s not a long ball whack upfield that fans are craving, it’s a bit of variation. You can audibly hear the groans every time we get a goal kick, we were even having throw ins 10/15 yards in Brum’s half last night and the ball was finding it’s way back to Goutas or McGuinness twenty yards back in our half. Our midfield (and forward) players just don’t make space for themselves, they’re so bloody rigid. Nobody takes a chance, nobody anticipates, our players react so slowly...........am I ranting?