+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Station Cordoned Off

Central Station Cordoned Off

Just got back from a train journey with the missus and was directed to the rear of the station as police have cordoned off the front entrance. Anyone know what's happened ?

Re: Central Station Cordoned Off

Cheers.

Cheers.

2 youngsters in hospital with stab wounds

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    2 youngsters in hospital with stab wounds
    Gang related

Awful place , dreadful views as you come out, offices half empty , half empty cafes , beggars , bolshie taxi drivers , probably looks better empty , keep it cordoned off is my advise , another shit show of planning , up the revolution .

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Gang related
    No school today , parents down the pub ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Awful place , dreadful views as you come out, offices half empty , half empty cafes , beggars , bolshie taxi drivers , probably looks better empty.
    Yeah - it was loads better back in the day...

Temperence Town.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Temperence Town.jpg
    Crikey, that's some photo!

Temperence Town.jpg
    Temperance Town

Temperence Town.jpg

At least their bikes were safe, or is that the taxi rank

I find the new buildings a bit brutal looking.

Great photo.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    I find the new buildings a bit brutal looking.
    I know what you mean. They're a bit in your face when you exit the station. Smarter than the old bus station I suppose but completely lacking in character.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Temperance Town
    I always thought Temperance Town was over towards where the old ice-rink used to be?
    That photo seems to show the area immediately to the left as you exit the station.
    However, I will bow down to your greater knowledge - you and BLUETIT probably had many a night out on the ale in Temperance Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I know what you mean. They're a bit in your face when you exit the station. Smarter than the old bus station I suppose but completely lacking in character.
    They are smarter but i bet it's a nightmare for travellers exiting the station requiring a bus. Especially those unfamiliar with the various streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I always thought Temperance Town was over towards where the old ice-rink used to be?
    That photo seems to show the area immediately to the left as you exit the station.
    However, I will bow down to your greater knowledge - you and BLUETIT probably had many a night out on the ale in Temperance Town.
    Erm…Temperance Town, as the name suggests there were no nights out there. The developer who financed & built it in the 19th century was a strict teetotaller. Not one drinking establishment in the area. The father in law was born there in the 1920s, he ended up on the committees of the Docks Non Political Club & The Ex Servicemen’s, loved a drink all his life, he certainly railed against his roots

The area around the old ice rink, Bute Terrace, Mary Ann St etc was notorious for its shebeens and drinking dens, no evidence of the temperance movement there.

Wasn't that Newtown?

Erm…Temperance Town, as the name suggests there were no nights out there. The developer who financed & built it in the 19th century was a strict teetotaller. Not one drinking establishment in the area. The father in law was born there in the 1920s, he ended up on the committees of the Docks Non Political Club & The Ex Servicemen’s, loved a drink all his life, he certainly railed against his roots
    I should know more about the history of my home city, but, say, your father in law lived bang in the middle of Temperance Town, how far would he have to walk to get to the nearest pub? It wouldn't have been too far would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Wasn't that Newtown?
    Newtown’s six streets were off Tyndall St, there are still a row of council houses there. It’s now a small industrial estate opposite the hotel. The black bridge over the railway linked it to Adam St, near The Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I should know more about the history of my home city, but, say, your father in law lived bang in the middle of Temperance Town, how far would he have to walk to get to the nearest pub? It wouldn't have been too far would it?
    Temperance Town was on the exact spot of the old bus station. So getting a drink was no hard task. It was just very unusual for the time given that the norm was nigh on a pub in every terraced street.

The area around the old ice rink, Bute Terrace, Mary Ann St etc was notorious for its shebeens and drinking dens, no evidence of the temperance movement there.
    Fair play, you enlightened me with a degree of compassion. In my ignorance, I had to Google the meaning of 'temperance'. Got it now.

Fair play, you enlightened me with a degree of compassion. In my ignorance, I had to Google the meaning of 'temperance'. Got it now.

Newtown’s six streets were off Tyndall St, there are still a row of council houses there. It’s now a small industrial estate opposite the hotel. The black bridge over the railway linked it to Adam St, near The Vulcan.
    Ah ok. I knew it started north of Tyndall Street but wondered if it extended further north to the other side of the railway.