+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Station Cordoned Off

Re: Central Station Cordoned Off

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Newtown’s six streets were off Tyndall St, there are still a row of council houses there. It’s now a small industrial estate opposite the hotel. The black bridge over the railway linked it to Adam St, near The Vulcan.
    The Fitzgeralds used to run the pub in Newtown. The name escapes me for the moment, but I’ve only had one cup of coffee

Temperance Town was on the exact spot of the old bus station. So getting a drink was no hard task. It was just very unusual for the time given that the norm was nigh on a pub in every terraced street.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    At least their bikes were safe, or is that the taxi rank
    Amazing photo what year would that be?

My Mother grew up on the other side of the station.

One of our posters had a relative who lived in Temperance Town. She was of Irish descent and when around the age of eleven she was blinded in one eye by a brother with a red-hot poker. She never married and had seven kids, one of whom was killed by a van.
    That was one of the better tales of his relatives.....

Timparince Twon.jpg
    Tumberunce Towl.jpg

The streets ran from Wood Street (named after the guy who owned the land) to the station and were the first proper view visitors had of Cardiff.
    Hard to understand why they began to be demolished in the 1930s.

If I remember rightly Temperance town was a place that specifically had to no alcohol / pubs - is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    If I remember rightly Temperance town was a place that specifically had to no alcohol / pubs - is that right?
    That's what temperance means

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Timparince Twon.jpg
    Tumberunce Towl.jpg

The streets ran from Wood Street (named after the guy who owned the land) to the station and were the first proper view visitors had of Cardiff.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...rhoods-8978805

Loads of Temperance Town and the Bus Station being built.

My father's parents came over from Waterford and lived in Temperance Town, he was born there, no pubs but three brothels in his street. I think the houses were demolished as they had become slums.
    I used to walk to St. DAVIDS school passing Millicent Street and Mary Ann Street. My main memory of that area is the second hand bookshop there.

Is Newtown aka Temperence Town ?

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    My father's parents came over from Waterford and lived in Temperance Town, he was born there, no pubs but three brothels in his street. I think the houses were demolished as they had become slums.
    I used to walk to St. DAVIDS school passing Millicent Street and Mary Ann Street. My main memory of that area is the second hand bookshop there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown,_Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is Newtown aka Temperence Town ?
    No

It's funny how this thread has
    developed, from a negative (stabbings) to a rather interesting journey back to yesteryear.

The beauty of CCMB!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    developed, from a negative (stabbings) to a rather interesting journey back to yesteryear.

The beauty of CCMB!
    indeed, we have our knockers, but this place is still a joy to read

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    indeed, we have our knockers, but this place is still a joy to read
    Sludge in 3..2..1

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

The beauty of CCMB!
    You could say my original post has been derailed. Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Timparince Twon.jpg
    Tumberunce Towl.jpg

What a pair of really good, atmospheric photos.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I should know more about the history of my home city, but, say, your father in law lived bang in the middle of Temperance Town, how far would he have to walk to get to the nearest pub? It wouldn't have been too far would it?
    Certainly not as far to walk as someone living in the middle of Pontprennau or any of the new housing estates they're building around the city

International

Temperance Town was on the exact spot of the old bus station. So getting a drink was no hard task. It was just very unusual for the time given that the norm was nigh on a pub in every terraced street.
    I always understood that it extended north right through the area where they later had Cardiff Arms Park, now the Pricipality Stadium. slightly off topic I also recall when I was young being told that when they bought the area for the rugby ground there was a pub there right on the edge of temperance town, and the owner refused to sell unless they agreed to name the ground after the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I always understood that it extended north right through the area where they later had Cardiff Arms Park, now the Pricipality Stadium. slightly off topic I also recall when I was young being told that when they bought the area for the rugby ground there was a pub there right on the edge of temperance town, and the owner refused to sell unless they agreed to name the ground after the pub.
    Hasn’t the old post office been next door to the Arms Park for years, probably there when Temperance Town existed. As someone else mentioned on this thread, it’s boundary was Wood St, named after the developer/owner of the land.