+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mary Earps

Re: Mary Earps

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Out of interest, do you think that Stuart Broad was more deserving and if not, why?
    I've already said the whole SPOTY thing is for fuucking weirdos.

It's a public vote, bit like I'm a Celebrity, Big Brother etc.

I don't take any interest in them either.

What does Stuart Broad do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I've already said the whole SPOTY thing is for fuucking weirdos.

It's a public vote, bit like I'm a Celebrity, Big Brother etc.

I don't take any interest in them either.

What does Stuart Broad do?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Broad

He was in a team then that didn't win anything this year?

Impressive career. I don't watch cricket really.

International

In 1999, Marina Hyde married Kieran Clifton, a director at the BBC - What a surprise

Really can't see the fuss, or where the likes of Barton and Morgan are coming from. Her performances in the summer were pretty incredible. It's probably fair to say that she played her sport better than most others played theirs this year.

That Barton is a grade A tosser. Going back a few years ago I always wondered if he was a complete waste of space, or a mostly decent bloke who struggled to control himself and his anger at times. I think the answer has become pretty obvious over the years. Sad to see there are still some out there who seem to think he's worth listening too

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    In 1999, Marina Hyde married Kieran Clifton, a director at the BBC - What a surprise
    You really dislike women don’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Really can't see the fuss, or where the likes of Barton and Morgan are coming from. Her performances in the summer were pretty incredible. It's probably fair to say that she played her sport better than most others played theirs this year.

That Barton is a grade A tosser. Going back a few years ago I always wondered if he was a complete waste of space, or a mostly decent bloke who struggled to control himself and his anger at times. I think the answer has become pretty obvious over the years. Sad to see there are still some out there who seem to think he's worth listening too
    ‘Pretty incredible’?

Oh dear…..

‘Pretty incredible’?

Oh dear…..
    I don't understand your issue. You're going to have to enlighten me

well playing every minute of all 7 games in the World Cup finals and only conceding four goals while keeping 3 clean sheets just isnt good enough, she conceded 4 goals, what was she playing at

If only she was a man, that would have been seen as ‘Pretty incredible’

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    You really dislike women don’t you?
    He’s probably never been near one sexually

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    well playing every minute of all 7 games in the World Cup finals and only conceding four goals while keeping 3 clean sheets just isnt good enough, she conceded 4 goals, what was she playing at

If only she was a man, that would have been seen as ‘Pretty incredible’
    There would be much more merit in what you are saying if the level and quality of women's football was anywhere near the mens game. Unfortunately women's football s currently at a level equivalent to mens pub football, so to make out that Earps achievements are in any way better than average is a serious misrepresentation of her ability.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    There would be much more merit in what you are saying if the level and quality of women's football was anywhere near the mens game. Unfortunately women's football s currently at a level equivalent to mens pub football, so to make out that Earps achievements are in any way better than average is a serious misrepresentation of her ability.
    If the award was 'worlds best goalkeeper' then I'd kind of see your point. But we're talking about sports personality of the year. If every other athlete is being judged against their peers in their own sport, why should womens footballers be judged any differently?

If the award was 'worlds best goalkeeper' then I'd kind of see your point. But we're talking about sports personality of the year. If every other athlete is being judged against their peers in their own sport, why should womens footballers be judged any differently?
    Serena williams shouldn't really get the credit that she does because the top 100 men in Tennis would beat her.

Is it really about her performance or does she just represent the collective group that has increased girls' participation in the world biggest and greatest game?

It was a limited public vote, let's think about it.
    A- Women footballer with 1000's of young girls starting to play with all that youthfull enthusiasm
    B- An unbelievable (female) athlete, but its a niche sport not in an Olympic year
    C- A disabled athlete
    D- A jockey in his 50's
    E- A golfer who barely visits these shores and didn't bother with any of the promotional faff
    F- A cricketer who didn't regain the ashes, as if the "barmy army" would do anything as crass as vote in SPOTY.

Its a popularity contest. No one likes Citeh so mens football is out. The Tennis players haven't done anything. Its not an Olympic year.The dutch have F1 sawn up and boxing is a mess and behind massive paywalls.

Anyway Bellingham next year, so it will calm the old lads down

I think that our definitions of ‘unbelievable’ are miles and miles apart.

You must live in a constant dream world. Lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Is it really about her performance or does she just represent the collective group that has increased girls' participation in the world biggest and greatest game?

It was a limited public vote, let's think about it.
    A- Women footballer with 1000's of young girls starting to play with all that youthfull enthusiasm
    B- An unbelievable (female) athlete, but its a niche sport not in an Olympic year
    C- A disabled athlete
    D- A jockey in his 50's
    E- A golfer who barely visits these shores and didn't bother with any of the promotional faff
    F- A cricketer who didn't regain the ashes, as if the "barmy army" would do anything as crass as vote in SPOTY.

Its a popularity contest. No one likes Citeh so mens football is out. The Tennis players haven't done anything. Its not an Olympic year.The dutch have F1 sawn up and boxing is a mess and behind massive paywalls.

Anyway Bellingham next year, so it will calm the old lads down
    She's had the biggest influence over any of the other nominees without a doubt. She also has a massive following on Instagram, and those followers are the people who vote these days. Gone are the days of writing a name on the back of postcard and sending it off to Broadcasting House.
    I hope that KJT wins Gold in Paris next year and she wins the award. I doubt that any female footballers will be nominated.

The ‘honour the vote’ brigade are surely not now complaining.

‘Pretty incredible’?

Oh dear…..
    From a man who achieved what exactly?

Ever played in a WC?
    Ever represented your country?
    Ever played pro sport?
    Ever played at county level?

Or are you just a nobody on the internet who calls pro players rubbish yet couldn’t tap a bag of sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    From a man who achieved what exactly?

Ever played in a WC?
    Ever represented your country?
    Ever played pro sport?
    Ever played at county level?

Or are you just a nobody on the internet who calls pro players rubbish yet couldn’t tap a bag of sand?
    I didn't win, But I've represented my country.

Marina Hyde is definitely one of the most on point journalists out there. You really think her husband/BBC influences her writing?

There really are some low people on this thread. England women get to a final, she saves a penalty and people don't don't like it because woman aren't as strong or fast and have less attention than men. And SPOTY? Who ****ing cares?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s probably never been near one sexually
    Injunctions perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Serena williams shouldn't really get the credit that she does because the top 100 men in Tennis would beat her.
    It's a bonkers argument isn't it. You've got to be careful these days with comments like this, but I'm going to say it anyway because it's true - there's a reason why women have been called "the weaker sex". It's because, when it comes to many sports it's particular, they are. A look at world records in athletics for example would show you that - there are sports where women seem to be able to compete on an equal footing with men (equestrian events for example), but I'd say that in most men would dominate because, especially at elite level sport, they tend to be stronger and faster.

Therefore, in the majority of competitive sports a woman can only strive to be the best in her gender, rather than the best on the planet. In the case of Mary Earps, it seems to me that she has done a good job in proving that she's the best goalkeeper in women's football currently and she appears to have something about her as well which ties in with the "personality" aspect of the award. There doesn't appear to be much more she can do to improve her standing in women's football, so why should she be excluded from consideration for a sports personality of the year award just because she's a woman?

Comments like this only prove Hyde right.