+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brighton V Palace

Brighton V Palace

I didn’t realise Brightons nickname was the dolphin’s.

During the 1974/75 season, Brighton & Hove Albion FC became known as The Dolphins and their club badge was changed the following season to represent this. However, this was short lived and in 1977 the seagull badge was introduced and they have remained the Seagulls ever since, apparently to rhyme with Crystal Palace Eagles.

Re: Brighton V Palace

They changed the name on porpoise.

Below from Wikipedia, may not be accurate and has a feel of the many stories how the Ayatollah started.

Both this nickname and crest were to prove short-lived, however, following an incident said to have taken place in the Bo'sun public house in Brighton. Prior to a 'derby' fixture with fierce rivals, Crystal Palace, a few away supporters started chanting, "Eagles, Eagles" to which a group of Brighton & Hove Albion fans responded with a chant of "Seagulls, Seagulls". Current club director, Derek Chapman, is said to have been among the group who first christened the club with this nickname. The club has been known as 'The Seagulls' ever since and in 1977 the club crest was changed once again to represent this.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the rivalry between Palace and Brighton only dates back to the late seventies when Terry Venables and Alan Mullery were managers. The explanation regarding Seagulls ties in with what I read as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m sure I read somewhere that the rivalry between Palace and Brighton only dates back to the late seventies when Terry Venables and Alan Mullery were managers. The explanation regarding Seagulls ties in with what I read as well.
    That's what I'd heard too, but the rivalry has always seemed a bit contrived to me. The 'M23 derby' tag always made me laugh. Having said that, they do seem to really dislike each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    That's what I'd heard too, but the rivalry has always seemed a bit contrived to me. The 'M23 derby' tag always made me laugh. Having said that, they do seem to really dislike each other.
    They're 40 miles apart. About the same as Cardiff to Swansea and closer than Cardiff to Bristol.

Deleted
    Last edited by fugsyphil; 22-12-23 at 02:54. Reason: Deleted Quoted wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I didn’t realise Brightons nickname was the dolphins.
    Surprised that that nickname never clicked

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    They changed the name on porpoise.
    Apparently, the nickname change was an easy process. They didn't have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to change it.