+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Assisted dying

Assisted dying

It is interesting how a statement by just one single famous person like Esther Rantzen can trigger a debate on the subject of assisted dying when all the while organisations like Compassion in Dying and Dignity in Dying have been around for quite some time trying to get M.P.'s to reconsider their stance on this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67756506

I have a friend who is dying slowly from Parkinsons. He is now in a nursing home and we visit him every week. Sadly he is now at the stage where he can no longer walk (or stand up even), has to wear disposable nappies, often chokes when swallowing and is becoming profoundly deaf. He is basically being kept alive (there is no other choice) despite having often expressed a wish that this wasn't the case. The tragedy is that his mind is still active unlike some of the other folk in the home who are completely out of it. The strain on his wife is incredible as she cannot drive and has to rely on others to drive her to the home 3 or 4 times a week (a 32 mile round trip) to visit him. Often when she gets there he cries like a little boy because she won't (can't of course) take him home as there is no way she could care for him. This is very distressing for her.

Earlier this year I joined Dignity in Dying myself because I would hate to end up in my friend's situation and have already told my kids and my wife that I will be campaigning for a change in the law. I know this is a very sensitive issue and would be interested to know the views of other posters on here.

Re: Assisted dying

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    It is interesting how a statement by just one single famous person like Esther Rantzen can trigger a debate on the subject of assisted dying when all the while organisations like Compassion in Dying and Dignity in Dying have been around for quite some time trying to get M.P.'s to reconsider their stance on this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67756506

I have a friend who is dying slowly from Parkinsons. He is now in a nursing home and we visit him every week. Sadly he is now at the stage where he can no longer walk (or stand up even), has to wear disposable nappies, often chokes when swallowing and is becoming profoundly deaf. He is basically being kept alive (there is no other choice) despite having often expressed a wish that this wasn't the case. The tragedy is that his mind is still active unlike some of the other folk in the home who are completely out of it. The strain on his wife is incredible as she cannot drive and has to rely on others to drive her to the home 3 or 4 times a week (a 32 mile round trip) to visit him. Often when she gets there he cries like a little boy because she won't (can't of course) take him home as there is no way she could care for him. This is very distressing for her.

Earlier this year I joined Dignity in Dying myself because I would hate to end up in my friend's situation and have already told my kids and my wife that I will be campaigning for a change in the law. I know this is a very sensitive issue and would be interested to know the views of other posters on here.
    My view is that as long as the law has checks and balances then everybody of sound mind should have the right to end their lives if they have health condition that is making their life an utter misery of pain and distress

The saddest thing is that some people with complex mental and physical disabilities would possibly tell us to help them end their dreadful experience but they can't

It's a very difficult area

Sometimes parents of severely disabled children are full of joy and other times they look utterly exhausted and without hope but clearly the law must not be used as a suicide pill

Difficult topic.

the Canadian model of 'assisted dying ' works well, kill the poor

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My view is that as long as the law has checks and balances then everybody of sound mind should have the right to end their lives if they have health condition that is making their life an utter misery of pain and distress

The saddest thing is that some people with complex mental and physical disabilities would possibly tell us to help them end their dreadful experience but they can't

It's a very difficult area

Sometimes parents of severely disabled children are full of joy and other times they look utterly exhausted and without hope but clearly the law must not be used as a suicide pill
    My intention is to make some kind of living will whilst I am still compos mentis. From what I have read that is not 100% safe either as some medics will try to override this. I would never be able to afford the trip to Switzerland nor would I risk my nearest and dearest being charged with manslaughter for helping me, so my options would be limited if there is no change in the law in the U.K.

To make it clear, I am only speaking for myself here - there is no way I would seek to impose my intentions onto anyone else or indeed encourage anyone else to go down the route I am suggesting. It is a deeply personal and individual decision.

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    the Canadian model of 'assisted dying ' works well, kill the poor
    I would like to see the actual evidence that poor people in Canada are being subject to euthanasia.

You may be referring to an opinion poll in Canada in which 25% of respondents were ok with the idea of euthanasia for homeless poor people. I wonder how many homeless people took part in that survey?!! Quite a shameful reflection on the attitude of the Canadian public I would say. Of course an opinion poll is just that, and not a reflection of reality. The U.K. guidelines (if they ever come to fruition) would need to be absolutely clear along the lines of the Isle of Man legislation:

The Isle of Man is on course to become the first part of the British Isles to legalise assisted dying as an option for its terminally ill, mentally competent citizens, subject to strict safeguards.

Ref: https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/ne...or-compassion/

I would like to see the actual evidence that poor people in Canada are being subject to euthanasia.

You may be referring to an opinion poll in Canada in which 25% of respondents were ok with the idea of euthanasia for homeless poor people. I wonder how many homeless people took part in that survey?!! Quite a shameful reflection on the attitude of the Canadian public I would say. Of course an opinion poll is just that, and not a reflection of reality. The U.K. guidelines (if they ever come to fruition) would need to be absolutely clear along the lines of the Isle of Man legislation:

The Isle of Man is on course to become the first part of the British Isles to legalise assisted dying as an option for its terminally ill, mentally competent citizens, subject to strict safeguards.

Ref: https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/ne...or-compassion/
    try AP news Canada euthanasia laws , just one side i know

The only argument against it, and I think it is a real risk, is that it might come to be seen as selfish if you don't elect to die rather than rely on medical and social services and relatives. On any other measure it's cruel beyond words to make people live in pain and misery when they'd rather not.

try AP news Canada euthanasia laws , just one side i know
    Had a look at AP News Canada. Practically all the references just talk about the case of one man, the man with depression and other unspecified medical conditions who apparently requested euthanasia just because he had gone deaf! His wish was granted much to the horror of his relatives. Again, it does not appear to be a case of the state "execution" of poor or disabled people which the dramatic headline implies.

Admittedly it is a sad and shocking case - why weren't the relatives informed of this guy's request and also why did the folk who carried out the assisted dying stop and think about the reason the guy put forward for his request in the first place?

To put things in perspective it appears that there are about 10,000 cases of assisted dying in Canada every year, the vast majority being for people with terminal illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The only argument against it, and I think it is a real risk, is that it might come to be seen as selfish if you don't elect to die rather than rely on medical and social services and relatives. On any other measure it's cruel beyond words to make people live in pain and misery when they'd rather not.
    Good point. That is quite a valid argument I think, especially if/when assisted dying becomes more and more common. I suppose each case will have to be judged on its own merits.

From my own perspective I would not elect to be kept alive if I had an incurable medical problem such as my friend with advanced Parkinsons has, so the accusation of selfishness would not arise, as I would be opting for assisted dying. Of course I accept that others may want to cling on to every minute of life regardless.

Had a look at AP News Canada. Practically all the references just talk about the case of one man, the man with depression and other unspecified medical conditions who apparently requested euthanasia just because he had gone deaf! His wish was granted much to the horror of his relatives. Again, it does not appear to be a case of the state "execution" of poor or disabled people which the dramatic headline implies.

Admittedly it is a sad and shocking case - why weren't the relatives informed of this guy's request and also why did the folk who carried out the assisted dying stop and think about the reason the guy put forward for his request in the first place?

To put things in perspective it appears that there are about 10,000 cases of assisted dying in Canada every year, the vast majority being for people with terminal illnesses.
    the ''majority'' for terminal illness should be a worrying phrase

the ''majority'' for terminal illness should be a worrying phrase
    It’s her body her choice - unless it’s Covid vaccines though

https://www.charitytoday.co.uk/esthe...g-segregation/