+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Plymouth next

Plymouth next

This will be the 8th time we'll have faced Plymouth on Boxing day. Our 7 previous efforts have seen us draw 2 and lose 5. We've also faced them twice on Dec 27th, in 1949 and 28th, in 1982 and 2008. We won in 1949, lost in 1982 but won 1-0 in 2008. Our Christmastime record over Plymouth is 2 wins, 2 draws and 6 defeats.

Our overall record against them is 22 wins, 18 draws and 18 defeats, yet Christmastime, particularly Boxing day, has been pretty fruitless for us. Strange.

Re: Plymouth next

Without any stats to back it up i always felt we’ve done pretty badly on Boxing Day in general

I had a bad feeling when I saw the Boxing Day fixture. Plymouth always seemed to beat us. Thankyou Eric for confirming my recollections. Hopefully we can scrape a draw against manager less Plymouth this time.

Due a win

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Without any stats to back it up i always felt we’ve done pretty badly on Boxing Day in general
    27 wins, 28 draws and 26 defeats is our Boxing day record, scoring 108, conceding 115, so hardly great nor rubbish. No great runs of great or bad form on Boxing day until 1985, when we went 14 seasons without losing a game, winning 8 and drawing 6.

It's quite something to consider that, in our worst seasons in the league, we had our best run on Boxing day in our history. Since then our record has been absolutely dreadful. We've won twice on Boxing day in our last 23 seasons, beating Coventry and Palace at home in 2010 and 2012 respectively. The Palace win was particularly vital in our promotion bid. We've drawn 9 and lost 11. We didn't play on Boxing day in 2021 for obvious reasons.

Thanks Eric, think it’s that run from 1985 that has given me that impression then!

is there anyone we've faced more often on boxing day ? it seems like it's a guaranteed fixture if we are both in the same division, at least in the last 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    is there anyone we've faced more often on boxing day ? it seems like it's a guaranteed fixture if we are both in the same division, at least in the last 20 years
    Plymouth and Swansea (7 times), though Plymouth will hold the record on Tuesday.

Bristol City (5 times), then Villa, Coventry, Palace, Reading, Swindon and West Brom (3 times).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    27 wins, 28 draws and 26 defeats is our Boxing day record, scoring 108, conceding 115, so hardly great nor rubbish. No great runs of great or bad form on Boxing day until 1985, when we went 14 seasons without losing a game, winning 8 and drawing 6.

It's quite something to consider that, in our worst seasons in the league, we had our best run on Boxing day in our history. Since then our record has been absolutely dreadful. [b]We've won twice on Boxing day in our last 23 seasons[b], beating Coventry and Palace at home in 2010 and 2012 respectively. The Palace win was particularly vital in our promotion bid. We've drawn 9 and lost 11. We didn't play on Boxing day in 2021 for obvious reasons.
    Wow, a staggering stat that.

Let's hope Erol reads this MB.
    Get all the players up the Vale for the weekend, Christmaswith the family is cancelled!

Well one things for certain they will sell out their ticket allocation

We could give them 4000 and they would snap them up

Tremendous away support

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Tremendous away support
    In fairness, if I lived in Plymouth, I'd do anything for a day away!

I don't think we're that motivated at present, even allowing for our fortuitous win at Wednesday, so I'm predicting a 1-3 defeat. Hopefully we can then draw a line under our recent dire performances and get in some badly needed quality to give the club and fans a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In fairness, if I lived in Plymouth, I'd do anything for a day away!
    It's got a good live venue for bands

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I’m not sure I have ever since us win on Boxing Day since 1987

Didn't realise they lost Schumacker to Sjoke - so new manager (caretaker) bounce to add to our abysmal Bday record against them. Omens aren't great😟

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Didn't realise they lost Schumacker to Sjoke - so new manager (caretaker) bounce to add to our abysmal Bday record against them. Omens aren't great😟
    Double bluff though.

We are so certain to lose this one we may end up with 3 points!

This fate thing is really tricky!

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Didn't realise they lost Schumacker to Sjoke - so new manager (caretaker) bounce to add to our abysmal Bday record against them. Omens aren't great��
    We could win or lose by 4 goals….easy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Tremendous away support
    For now sludge …… second season will see their support decrease

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We could win or lose by 4 goals….easy
    nil nil then

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    For now sludge …… second season will see their support decrease
    Possibly but they are well followed

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Double bluff though.

We are so certain to lose this one we may end up with 3 points!

This fate thing is really tricky!
    I like your attitude. Wish I get some for Christmas. I'm still focused on 50pts to avoid the nightmare of last season 🎅

Plymouth away on Boxing Day in 2000 or 2001 was the coldest away day I’ve ever done.

Have to feel a little sorry for Plymouth fans, it their 6th or 7th away Boxing Day fixture on the trot.

I saw them beat us on Boxing Day 2009, I think it was. My first time at the new Stadium.

I’ve a feeling that Saturdays result….regardless of how we played will be a corner turner for us and it will be a convincing win for City tomorrow!