+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift's, What did you get ? ?

Re: Christmas Gift's, What did you get ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Trainers=terrace culture=80’s/90’s….it’s like being a mod, it’s for life.
    They’re daps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that they do exist Mo, Although Newsagents are almost a thing of the past. I went and bought a 'Smut' mag a few months back, imagine my embarrassment having to communicate to the girl on the till that i didn't have an internet connection.....
    A mate knowing I was going to the shops asked me if I’d get him a Daily Mail and a Sun…… I bought an illustrated copy of anal sex for beginners to put them inside of to save the embarrassment when out on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    They’re daps!
    So my dad used to say too…..

So my dad used to say too…..
    Or pumps depending where you are from!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Happy bunch on here

I have become a big fan of the Vans Ultra range in recent years.

Good all rounder that I can wear down the pub or walking the dogs - https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/va...es-vn000bcebxv

so to answer the question got a pair of these from my mother, and everyone else in my life we have a no present reciprocity pact, which does make the holidays a lot easier.
    your right, every other forum im on had a christmas gift thread, at least it picked up though

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Boring I know sorry, but Doris and I agreed quite a few years ago, no presents or cards between us, it's just pointless, we buy what we need when we need it. I have my eye on a couple of things I want, monitor and docking station, but will wait a few weeks or so to get them. (and not because of the scam sales)
    myself and the wife went the other way, when our kids got older and the oldest had a new phone and the youngest a City away shirt with Rambo on the back ( youngest was especially hard to buy for, she said " Dad, I dont need anything and im happy with a away shirt " that was that )
    We decided to buy stuff we wouldnt normally buy, like the cactus jacks, I would never justify them, so the mrs got them as a gift

Killed it for me when he mentioned trainers, trainers are people like Lew Clayton, they’re daps, pure & simple.
    im in my early 50's, they have always been trainers

Daps are them black plimsole things you wear in school

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I use both but prefer a fixed spool as where I fish its very rocky and snaggy ground and the fixed spool is quicker at getting the tackle and fish back in without losing it all

Multipliers tend to be slower
    I used to love my abu 6500 gr ( at the time it was brand new out, thats how long ago it was, Sea angler reel of the year )

I bet it would be a antique and laughed at now

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I used to love my abu 6500 gr ( at the time it was brand new out, thats how long ago it was, Sea angler reel of the year )

I bet it would be a antique and laughed at now
    Good reels for casting long distances on clean sand but not really strong enough to cope with rocky , weedy ground

I don't know where you grew up fishing but sully island , Rhoose, Aberthaw, llantwit , nash point are snaggy places

If you were fishing off the knap pebbles onto sand .....Great reel

Yes Matt the Star Wars Lego collection has been updated, some good deals on very which I was too weak to refuse….Yavin 4 rebel base down to £80 from £140….got the ghost too, not sure whether to build it or put it in the attic and wait for it to triple in price like so many other sets….
    https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/g...antom-ii-75357
    !
    Nice, new out this year I believe

Just watching Keeley Hawes on some ITV drama nonsense

I wouldn't mind unwrapping her in front of the Xmas tree

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Or pumps depending where you are from!!!
    Yes, but most definitely 'daps' in Cardiff... Bristol too, as it happens!

Good reels for casting long distances on clean sand but not really strong enough to cope with rocky , weedy ground

I don't know where you grew up fishing but sully island , Rhoose, Aberthaw, llantwit , nash point are snaggy places

If you were fishing off the knap pebbles onto sand .....Great reel
    Cod season was always Pebbles, right at the end of my time fishing, I had a mobile phone ( Nokia 3210 ) and would phone for a pizza delivery ( felt like billy big balls then )

other times exactly your lists, though thats where most from Barry / vale will fish , porthkerry aswell , Jacksons bay ( on the breakwater and Nells point ) Frairs point, Bendricks ( which was my least fav and you lost alot in them rocks )

im in my early 50's, they have always been trainers

Daps are them black plimsole things you wear in school
    You are right about the different definitions. However, when I was a kid growing up in the 60s, there was only daps available (black or white and elasticated or lace-up). Trainers came on the scene in the mid to late 70s.

Cod season was always Pebbles, right at the end of my time fishing, I had a mobile phone ( Nokia 3210 ) and would phone for a pizza delivery ( felt like billy big balls then )

other times exactly your lists, though thats where most from Barry / vale will fish , porthkerry aswell , Jacksons bay ( on the breakwater and Nells point ) Frairs point, Bendricks ( which was my least fav and you lost alot in them rocks )
    The rocky places are where the big girls come out to play

But you lose your tackle

Oh matron

They’re daps!
    The de-facto dress code, for us kids growing up in the 60s, was a pair of daps and 'Strangler-X' jeans (also known as 'Bobby Washables') finished off with a 'snake belt'!

The rocky places are where the big girls come out to play

But you lose your tackle

Oh matron
    To answer your earlier question - yes, I used to fish the south Wales coast in my early teens.
    It was largely a frustrating experience of getting snagged a lot, losing tackle because no one showed me how to tie a knot properly.
    I had no idea about tides, correct setups, bait etc. It was no wonder I seldom caught anything.
    Nevertheless, for an urban kid like me it was just great to be next to a beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You are right about the different definitions. However, when I was a kid growing up in the 60s, there was only daps available (black or white and elasticated or lace-up). Trainers came on the scene in the mid to late 70s.
    Trainers are just a different type of dap, but they’re still daps. Flares are still trousers, anoraks are still coats, boxers are still underpants, trainers are still daps. Daps is a Cardiff traditional word, much like mitching (used in Ireland as well), afters for pudding or dessert, cobs for hard bread buns, baps for soft bread buns (I think buns is what some other places call them), gullies for the cut through between houses etc etc. It’d be a crime to let our colloquialisms go, it’s part of the identities of different parts of the country, local dialects and sayings should be used and preserved, they’re part of who we are and where we’re from.

your right, every other forum im on had a christmas gift thread, at least it picked up though
    Things like ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’ creeping in as well, ironic in a way that you’re picking up another word, daps

International

There are youngsters in my local who still know what daps are. If you say "New daps?" they don't bat an eyelid, just answer.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There are youngsters in my local who still know what daps are. If you say "New daps?" they don't bat an eyelid, just answer.
    They're known as daps up the valleys too, probably unsurprisingly. But also in Bristol which I was surprised at. There's a lot of crossover between south Wales and Bristol language wise. Cheers drive is another one.

Trainers are just a different type of dap, but they’re still daps. Flares are still trousers, anoraks are still coats, boxers are still underpants, trainers are still daps. Daps is a Cardiff traditional word, much like mitching (used in Ireland as well), afters for pudding or dessert, cobs for hard bread buns, baps for soft bread buns (I think buns is what some other places call them), gullies for the cut through between houses etc etc. It’d be a crime to let our colloquialisms go, it’s part of the identities of different parts of the country, local dialects and sayings should be used and preserved, they’re part of who we are and where we’re from.
    Nope, I'm not 'aving that!

In the 80s when football fashions took off, no one would ever say.. "I like your daps" to someone who happened to be wearing a pair of Diadora Borg Elite or Adidas Forest Hills, for example. Such footwear was referred to as 'trainers' only.

The word 'daps' is used widely on this side of the Bristol Channel too. In fact, the first recorded use of it in print seems to have been in 'The Western Daily Press', a publication covering Somerset, Gloucester and Wiltshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Nope, I'm not 'aving that!

In the 80s when football fashions took off, no one would ever say.. "I like your daps" to someone who happened to be wearing a pair of Diadora Borg Elite or Adidas Forest Hills, for example. Such footwear was referred to as 'trainers' only.
    No-one?? I’ve always referred to them as daps as do others. As mentioned earlier, trainers are people with the magic sponge such as Lew Clayton, that squeaky fecker down west was referred to as magic daps, not magic trainers (that was Lew Clayton again)