+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Club suing Willie McKay

Club suing Willie McKay

From the Supporters' Trust

EXCLUSIVE: Cardiff City Take Legal Action Against Willie McKay In Sala Case:

The Trust understands from senior sources at Cardiff City that the football club is suing Willie McKay, who was involved in the transfer of Emiliano Sala from FC Nantes.

Trust Chair Keith Morgan said: "I understand the legal action against Mr McKay is for the release of documents and data, which the club believes, will prove beyond doubt that he was the agent for the Sala transfer and strengthen their ongoing legal proceedings against Nantes.

"This is an important and significant move by the club in its court action against the French club."

Re: Club suing Willie McKay

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    From the Supporters' Trust

EXCLUSIVE: Cardiff City Take Legal Action Against Willie McKay In Sala Case:

The Trust understands from senior sources at Cardiff City that the football club is suing Willie McKay, who was involved in the transfer of Emiliano Sala from FC Nantes.

Trust Chair Keith Morgan said: "I understand the legal action against Mr McKay is for the release of documents and data, which the club believes, will prove beyond doubt that he was the agent for the Sala transfer and strengthen their ongoing legal proceedings against Nantes.

"This is an important and significant move by the club in its court action against the French club."
    I would hope that none of our previous managers had anything to gain by allowing McKay's involvement.....Ahem....Cough.....

The last update Keith Morgan sent to Trust members on 13 December said

A large element of their defence appears to be that they don't recognise Willie McKay as their agent and instead dealt with a different company as agent (a "shell" company which lists its directors as Willie McKay's son and wife and which at the time had no trading records filed at Companies House).Reliable sources at Cardiff City have told me that the club has copious amounts of documents disproving Nantes defence.

This must be the next step in trying to dismantle Nantes' defence against our claim

Would he keep a paper trail and if there was wouldn't shady companies from Panama and its ilk be involved which means almost no chance of of records being handed over.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Would he keep a paper trail and if there was wouldn't shady companies from Panama and its ilk be involved which means almost no chance of of records being handed over.
    If he was operating as self employed and domiciled in the UK then he is obliged to keep all records relating to UK commercial and taxation laws. These have to be kept for 5 years after the relevant tax assessment deadline. The relevant tax year would have been 2019/20 with a submission deadline of Jan 2021, so he cannot legally destroy any such records until Feb 2026.

Yeah, his records might well have gone the same way as Johnson and Sunak's WhatsApp messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Yeah, his records might well have gone the same way as Johnson and Sunak's WhatsApp messages.
    If they really wanted to release them they would be easily able to be recovered. Keep up at the back

This rat is still involved in football:
    https://x.com/sportspeteo/status/173...3FBP0ioR4iDB5A

I hope to God we win, and he and his family get banned for life. I’d hope there would be similar punishments if any of our club acted improperly.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Looks like an Al Capone manoeuvre.

If you can’t get him because there’s not enough evidence then HMRC will go after him for not keeping proper records for tax purposes.

It will be his choice. It’s either Cardiff City or HMRC or HMRC might be waiting to see what is produced in his defence and going after him regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I hope to God we win, and he and his family get banned for life. I’d hope there would be similar punishments if any of our club acted improperly.
    How does someone like that get FIFA approval? Hang on, I’ve just realised that’s a daft question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I would hope that none of our previous managers had anything to gain by allowing McKay's involvement.....Ahem....Cough.....
    *laughing*

The whole thing will unravel quicker than the Tories currently eating themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    If he was operating as self employed and domiciled in the UK then he is obliged to keep all records relating to UK commercial and taxation laws. These have to be kept for 5 years after the relevant tax assessment deadline. The relevant tax year would have been 2019/20 with a submission deadline of Jan 2021, so he cannot legally destroy any such records until Feb 2026.
    He was based in Monaco I believe and guessing that he is not answerable to HMRC. He would be operating under Monaco law. Did he also transfer his assets into his wife and son's name ?

If this case is for data / docs then he may turn tables and supply what he has - but I doubt that will ever happen

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    He was based in Monaco I believe and guessing that he is not answerable to HMRC. He would be operating under Monaco law. Did he also transfer his assets into his wife and son's name ?

If this case is for data / docs then he may turn tables and supply what he has - but I doubt that will ever happen
    I don’t recall the relevant agreements but if you’re registered for tax in Country X when asked to do so by your country of residence then you are required to prove that you paid your due taxes.

There no escape the tax authorities these days.

As an aside US citizens are required to declare any monies or investments held in any other country. Including Switzerland. And required to prove that you paid taxes on your income. The Swiss banks must also declare their client list to the IRS

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post

He is a UK citizen and subject to HMRC rules. In the same way he was subject to UK law which is why he was made bankrupt in the UK ( for 5 years rather than the normal 1 due to his activities).

It is disgusting that FIFA have allowed him to become one of their Licenced Intermediaries (formerly called agents) so soon after getting his discharge but perhaps not entirely surprising (as Paul refers to earlier in this thread) based on the way FIFA and its senior people go about their business.

Why are the club now leaking information via the trust? All very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    He is a UK citizen and subject to HMRC rules. In the same way he was subject to UK law which is why he was made bankrupt in the UK ( for 5 years rather than the normal 1 due to his activities).
    Is this the case? I’m a UK citizen, domiciled in Poland, with a NT HMRC tax code, being paid in UK but taxed in Poland, as l live in Poland for more than 193 days per year. If he’s based / domiciled in Monaco for more than 193 days he’s subject to their tax laws.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post

It is not "leaking". It is updating an elected fan body on matters which are on the public record if you search hard enough. The Trust is also the only fans body at the club officially registered with and recognised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
    Like the official Supporters Club and the Disabled Supporters Association , it is also a full member of the national Football Supporters Association and has played a big part in getting the recent changes to football governance into a Government White Paper which was in the King`s Speech to change the law in the next Parliamentary session.
    The formation of the Fans Advisory Board at CCFC which will start next month will lead to more of these disclosures as they impact on the fanbase.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

That will be the end of any chances we had of signing players from Besiktas in January. It's almost as if MacKay looked at who we were looking to sign and went and did a deal with their clubs to **** us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Is this the case? I’m a UK citizen, domiciled in Poland, with a NT HMRC tax code, being paid in UK but taxed in Poland, as l live in Poland for more than 193 days per year. If he’s based / domiciled in Monaco for more than 193 days he’s subject to their tax laws.
    Same here....I am UK Born, UK Passport, get my pensions paid to UK bank, but live permanently in France. I have NT code in uk, and file my tax return/pay tax in France.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post

The Trust are one of the 3 bodies recognised by the Club. The Club also knows that the Trust is the only one of those 3 bodies that has a structured means of communicating with its members. If it was not for the Trust informing its members no-one would know, for example, what happens at the ad hoc meetings organised by Mehmet Dalman. Credit is due to Keith for keeping his members informed and, as a consequence, everyone else when Trust members emails about such meetings and other big picture issues are reproduced on here and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    It is not "leaking". It is updating an elected fan body on matters which are on the public record if you search hard enough. The Trust is also the only fans body at the club officially registered with and recognised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
    Like the official Supporters Club and the Disabled Supporters Association , it is also a full member of the national Football Supporters Association and has played a big part in getting the recent changes to football governance into a Government White Paper which was in the King`s Speech to change the law in the next Parliamentary session.
    The formation of the Fans Advisory Board at CCFC which will start next month will lead to more of these disclosures as they impact on the fanbase.

Keith
    Will the insurance payout recently received by the club show on the statement of financial position ?

Any idea what it was even if it’s a total guess ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I don’t recall the relevant agreements but if you’re registered for tax in Country X when asked to do so by your country of residence then you are required to prove that you paid your due taxes.

There no escape the tax authorities these days.

As an aside US citizens are required to declare any monies or investments held in any other country. Including Switzerland. And required to prove that you paid taxes on your income. The Swiss banks must also declare their client list to the IRS
    I think you are wrong on that one - eg - if he was registered in Switzerland but did some work in the UK. Then yes , he would have to pay some small amount of tax in the UK - but if the transaction occurred in Switzerland for something like and an end of project work / consultancy advice - then he would pay the relevant tax in Switzerland - which is a lot less than the UK.
    HMRC could ask the Swiss tax authority for information - and under Swiss law they will not give that information. You only pay tax once not twice - there is no double jeopardy.

This is / was a common situation back in the 90's - eg live in Belgium , work in Holland , get paid in Switzerland - you are never in any country more than 180 days. I used to know a couple of UK trades people doing this - ironically while doing work on EU parliament buildings. HMRC would be shown their Dutch tax payments - to prove there had been tax paid. When HMRC asked the Swiss tax office for info on payments made - they were told to get lost.

This is very similar to the alleged arrangement an ex City manager and his assistant had.

So I'm guessing that Monaco / Cayman Islands / Isle of Mann etc have even less regulations - which I would also guess, McKay knows about and has made arrangements accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It is very easy to get a UK NT tax code (as long as you dont have property in the UK) He could easily keep under the UK 180 day rule, work in France (for less than 180 days) have his 'office' in Switzerland and live in Monaco - so he would never be anywhere for more than 180 days per year. He could then domicile himself wherever he wants - including the Cayman Islands.
    That's why Branson lives where he does - and various oligarchs effectively live on yachts in international waters.

Where he is domiciled for tax is not relevant. The administration of tax systems is largely the same wherever you are, i.e. you are required to keep tax records for 5 or 6 years after the end of each tax year.
    A legal action like this REQUIRES full disclosure of all relevant documents.
    The options are:
    - provide the documents;
    - if "lost" provide all available related information such as tax returns and supporting documents held by a tax authority;
    - refuse to disclose and face contempt of court proceedings.

https://x.com/stevecmb/status/174161...LhmySD2aRt-GNg

Not only did Nantes decline to contribute to the trust fund, neither did the myriad of agents involved in the deal who received their fees. Also the PFA did not make a death in service payment to the family as they did not recognise him as our player as registration not completed