+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Classified Results

The Old Classified Results

I'm slightly obsessed with these. This one is particularly good if you stick with it.

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/17...OYttJiVKg&s=19

Re: The Old Classified Results

If I missed the results on the teleprinter I would watch the classified results but hide our score and that of our opponent with a newspaper, gradually revealing the match score. As I attended most home matches, I would only do this if we were playing away.

Say our opponent had scored 3, you more or less knew we had lost the game but occasionally it would reveal a 3-4 away win for us, the feeling of elation I can still remember to this day.

If I buy a paper these days it's Sunday or Monday

Football results , attendances, league tables

Absolutely love it

Not the same on the TV when it flashes by too quickly or on the internet

I used to have a scrapbook with the league table every Monday in and every report on the game

But I gave that up

About a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Say our opponent had scored 3, you more or less knew we had lost the game but occasionally it would reveal a 3-4 away win for us, the feeling of elation I can still remember to this day.
    Me too....you could usually tell the second team's score by the pitch of the reader's voice...>!

Millions would be checking their Littlewoods & Vernons pools coupons to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I'm slightly obsessed with these. This one is particularly good if you stick with it.

These results are nearly 40 years old but spotting a Swansea defeat and, then eventually, a Cardiff win, were followed by a mild fist pump for each!

Used to stand in or outside Dixons watching teletext refresh page after page.

The pools points down the side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    Millions would be checking their Littlewoods & Vernons pools coupons to this.
    No talking allowed in the house when this was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Me too....you could usually tell the second team's score by the pitch of the reader's voice...>!
    Ha, yes. For us, it would either sound surprised if we'd won, or sympathetic when we were trounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    East Fife four: FORFAR FIVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I remember the football being on page 302. Was always a surprise to see any headline with Cardiff in it!

I wonder if the teleprinter went Preston 9 (Nine) Cardiff 0 back in 1966 I think it was?

Youngsters won’t believe it, but often the first time you heard how your team had got on was when it came through on the teleprinter or was read out on the classified results.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

haha loved the "real time" score update. Some interesting league fixtures too - Man City v Shrewsbury in div 2 stood out.

Incidentally, we finished 15th that season with someone called Gordon Owen (???) as our top scorer with 14. Average attendance was a poor 7,000 with largest crowd being 14,500 who saw us beat Swansea 3-2 in a Boxing Day classic (Tosh scored a consolation goal for the JBs).

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    haha loved the "real time" score update. Some interesting league fixtures too - Man City v Shrewsbury in div 2 stood out.

Incidentally, we finished 15th that season with someone called Gordon Owen (???) as our top scorer with 14. Average attendance was a poor 7,000 with largest crowd being 14,500 who saw us beat Swansea 3-2 in a Boxing Day classic (Tosh scored a consolation goal for the JBs).
    The return fixture at the vetch was the same score , we were two nil up and Dean Saunders driving instructor nicked it for them at the end

Rioting all day

City win 2-1 in front of 4,442. Goalscorers ? Elsey and Goldsmith !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    dixons.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Early nineties, some absolute i'll fitting clobber on show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Early nineties, some absolute i'll fitting clobber on show.
    I would have been in Woolies jeans and a coat from C & A, else hand me downs from whoever was chucking shit out, that's how we rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    I remember the football being on page 302. Was always a surprise to see any headline with Cardiff in it!
    IMG_2324.jpg

Hansen classic quote

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I would have been in Woolies jeans and a coat from C & A, else hand me downs from whoever was chucking shit out, that's how we rolled.
    We were skint but i liked half decent clothes, so i did anything to earn money from about the age of 13 onwards.

We were skint but i liked half decent clothes, so i did anything to earn money from about the age of 13 onwards.
    Likewise , always in swank in London , and still like decent clobber and my 7 year old does aswell , which costs me a bit

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Likewise , always in swank in London , and still like decent clobber and my 7 year old does aswell , which costs me a bit
    I'm 51 now, so much more subtle than years gone by. I don't actually buy much, but when i do i like it to be well made and not ****ing shrink on the first wash

I'm 51 now, so much more subtle than years gone by. I don't actually buy much, but when i do i like it to be well made and not ****ing shrink on the first wash
    Buy XXXXL instead of XXXL, problem solved, shrink to fit

Also when on holiday in the 80s, we had to wait until Monday to get the Sunday papers to be able to see Saturday’s results.