+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Etete today

Re: Etete today

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The sound of knees jerking in this thread is deafening. There have been some like Splott Parker who have voiced there reservations about Etete in the past, but this thread doesn’t half seem like a reaction to one bad game on his part. He was not very good today and he’s inconsistent, but, for me, he’s the best we have in the position currently and, on his good days, he shows he has it in him to be a good striker at this level.

Because he’s so tall, I think Etete gets categorised as a certain type of striker, but I’m not sure he’ll ever be a traditional target man type . I’d say one of his main strengths is his quick feet and it may be that he’d be more effective in a side that got the ball down and played a bit more than we do.
    finally some sense in this thread haha

what a bunch of clueless dolts the rest of you are. One moment singing the young fellas name the next twisting in the knife...we were woeful today because we were set up to sit deep and soak. Hardly the strategy any striker likes to be involved in.

If he does read this thread i hope he remembers you are a loud MINORITY of dinosaurs in our fanbase that still think hoofball is the forgotten tactical art in the modern game. Go back to watching football from the 70s if you cant keep up at the back

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't know what his age has to do with it. He's been given an opportunity, he needs to take it, because unlike plenty on here, Buiut or whoever else is in charge wont see it from the point of view that he's 22 and still learning, he'll be out. I actually think he has some ability, his feet are pretty good, he can turn a player and carry the ball 10 15 yards, and he is much better facing the opposition goal. He can't play with his back to goal, he can't hold the ball up, he doesn't shield it or lean into the defender, that's a problem in this team. I hope he does well like i hope all of them do well, but i just don't see any improvement, which is what we should look for as a minimum. We had the same problem with Mark Harris, about 100 games in and people were debating the merits of his potential at this level.
    I agree we all want him and others hungry and smacking in the goals

It's just for whatever reason , not working up front

With just a modest return from our forward line we could be knocking on that top 6

How many twenty two year olds or lower are first choice centre forwards at Championship clubs? I don’t know the answer, but I bet it’s not many. Off the top of my head, there’s Cadamartari at Sheffield Wednesday who looked a very good prospect against us, but, going down the table at the moment, I can’t see any other club with a youngster as their established number one striker. Twenty two is young for a striker in this league especially at a club that, historically, is reluctant to give youth a chance.

Loads of us bang about our lack of creativity as well - we’ve only had one striker who has scored at a good rate in the last ten years or so.
    I think Whittaker at Plymouth is 22. Delap at Hull must be around 20 as well, but yes, there aren't many.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think Whittaker at Plymouth is 22. Delap at Hull must be around 20 as well, but yes, there aren't many.
    Yes you’re right about Whittaker, he’s 23 on Sunday. - he’s a strange type of striker though, he’s got a great shot on him and often stands outside the penalty area for corners in the hope that the ball is cleared to him and he can have a whack from twenty five yards.

As for Delap, he seems to be played more as a wide player, that’s where he played against us and he did very well in that role.

One other thing about Etete, for what it’s worth, he’s our top scorer this season even if you agree that it was an own goal at Sheffield Wednesday.

He is halfway through his current contract, a decision will need to be made on whether we stick or twist in the summer.

If Bulut stays and gets backed he'll be a long way down the pecking order

Yes you’re right about Whittaker, he’s 23 on Sunday. - he’s a strange type of striker though, he’s got a great shot on him and often stands outside the penalty area for corners in the hope that the ball is cleared to him and he can have a whack from twenty five yards.

As for Delap, he seems to be played more as a wide player, that’s where he played against us and he did very well in that role.

One other thing about Etete, for what it’s worth, he’s our top scorer this season even if you agree that it was an own goal at Sheffield Wednesday.
    I'll send him a card lol!

I would have thought Ugbo would have easily been our top scorer after his initial exploits. He seemed to be in the right position to find the net, even when he was totally anonymous in the game, but things haven't worked out for him at all sadly.

Somebody up thread I think mentioned Glatzel… in many ways although not the same quality it’s very similar to me… both strikers with some decent height and able to play with the ball at their feet whose talents probably weren’t suited to playing the lone forward position in this league or for this team, although worth noting that RG hasn’t suffered going back to another very physical league since leaving us.

I just can’t see how Etete fits us or most other teams at this level who play a variety of 4-5-1/4-3-3 to be honest. If Kieffer comes Bulut isn’t going to switch to 2 up front. Maybe he can do the Grant role but I don’t think he’s got the running in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post

what a bunch of clueless dolts the rest of you are. One moment singing the young fellas name the next twisting in the knife...we were woeful today because we were set up to sit deep and soak. Hardly the strategy any striker likes to be involved in.

If he does read this thread i hope he remembers you are a loud MINORITY of dinosaurs in our fanbase that still think hoofball is the forgotten tactical art in the modern game. Go back to watching football from the 70s if you cant keep up at the back
    It doesn’t sound like you were at the game today.

And strikers have to adapt to tactical and formation changes like every other player. It isn’t enough to say ‘oh we don’t play to his strengths so what do you expect’ exactly as we did with Glatzel who sadly was a failure at the club but cost £5m more! :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It doesn’t sound like you were at the game today.

And strikers have to adapt to tactical and formation changes like every other player. It isn’t enough to say ‘oh we don’t play to his strengths so what do you expect’ exactly as we did with Glatzel who sadly was a failure at the club but cost £5m more! :-/
    Players often do better or worse at some clubs, mainly because those clubs suit their game or not. Glatzel has done well returning to Germany and his game definitely didn't suit Warnock's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    ... It isn’t enough to say ‘oh we don’t play to his strengths so what do you expect’ ...
    This is were you and I have the complete opposite of opinion when it comes to team sports. We are not playing to our most creative players strengths at all and we are left stumped by why they are under performing. The slightest bit of analysis would lead you to the overly defensive tactics if you'd care to look.

Just ignoring the blatant obvious truth in order to support the manager over the players is not enough

Before his injury I thought he was coming good.

I watched a stream with their commentators (cos I cannot stand ours) and they were impressed with him, commented when he was subbed.

He's not going to be good enough, let's be honest. He's not a natural goalscorer and he has talent but he isn't quite good enough and he's not improving quickly enough. However, I will say it is a pretty tall order in this current side as there's nobody ever within about 10 yards of him. God knows what they expect him to do. He's better than Ugbo and Meite, though. Meite is a 1 man fouling machine and Ugbo's failings are well documented.

‘Clueless dolts’? A bit insulting to posters for having an opinion. The criticism of Etete isn’t just due to his performance yesterday, it’s been mentioned that he’s in the firing line because he’s all we’ve got, not his fault. You say go back to watching football from the 70s as if Etete is the epitome of a modern day striker. It’s not about eras, footballers, whatever decade, need to be strong, imposing themselves on the opposition, able to adapt to any system. He just isn’t up to it, not just yesterday, he’s 22 and has had plenty of opportunities to impose himself, he hasn’t. In every era, a part of a striker’s job is to defend from the front, not allow a marking defender to bulldoze through them to gain the initiative. If we had more capable strikers, Etete would be way down the list or gone. As I say, it’s unfortunate for him as he’s, more or less, all we’ve got but he isn’t improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Players often do better or worse at some clubs, mainly because those clubs suit their game or not. Glatzel has done well returning to Germany and his game definitely didn't suit Warnock's.
    Totally agree with this, arguably our best and most consistent player for the last 18 months (other than Perry) was getting offers to drive him over the Severn Bridge he was supposedly so bad for the Wurzels.

Meanwhile our fans mostly still think Harry Wilson is shit because he couldn’t trap balls that were punted five feet over his head all game.

It’s far more about tactics, playing style and situation than we’d like to admit in my opinion… with that being said I’m still not sure Etete has the right balance to make it at this level.

This is were you and I have the complete opposite of opinion when it comes to team sports. We are not playing to our most creative players strengths at all and we are left stumped by why they are under performing. The slightest bit of analysis would lead you to the overly defensive tactics if you'd care to look.

Just ignoring the blatant obvious truth in order to support the manager over the players is not enough
    Well that is just a silly post.

And quite rude.

45 appearances, 5 goals.
    I thinks it's 2 tap ins, 1 header, 1 lob of a 'keeper, 1 really good finish after a run into the box at Watford.
    I would suggest that there needs to be a massive improvement over the rest of the season if he is not to join the list of "dead wood" players hanging around our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Clueless dolts’? A bit insulting to posters for having an opinion...
    when you put it that way..maybe I was out of order for some on this board

...You say go back to watching football from the 70s as if Etete is the epitome of a modern day striker. It’s not about eras, footballers, whatever decade, need to be strong, imposing themselves on the opposition, able to adapt to any system...
    Nope. I'm actually still on the fence for Etete I'm just against the flip flopping of opinion on him in a game where he was clearly given the order to track back and support our 3 man holding midfield.

Are you suggesting he should stray from high emperor lord Bulut's instructions? what should he neglect in order to "adapt" i wonder? I'm guessing if he were to "go rogue" he wouldnt be in the starting lineup next match. Even if he scored a goal...I have seen bulut take off goal scorers minutes after they have scored and not seen again for a few matches.

... He just isn’t up to it, not just yesterday, he’s 22 and has had plenty of opportunities to impose himself, he hasn’t. In every era, a part of a striker’s job is to defend from the front, not allow a marking defender to bulldoze through them to gain the initiative...
    I hope you are not classifying the 10-15minute cameos as an opportunity? mostly in games where the manager has been desperate or the team is already sitting so deep their mrs's are bringing them their nightly ovaltine into the stands

I agree that a strikers job is to press the opposition's defense. But thats all.. I dont want to see our strikers defending corners or sitting in the wall defending a free kick. I want them waiting on the half way line waiting for a clearance. I want them fresh to press the defense...not wasting their legs running the full lengths of the pitch..why the hell do we have 3 holding midfielders for ?

... If we had more capable strikers, Etete would be way down the list or gone. As I say, it’s unfortunate for him as he’s, more or less, all we’ve got but he isn’t improving.
    Thats a bit overly theoretical for me. Do you really believe another striker with such restrictions doing everything Etete is already trying to do would find time to be in the box? Sory Kaba did well last season because he wasnt doing all this tracking back

In the end you may well be right about Etete once given a real chance. I'm just trying to counter balance the arguments in this thread with the very present excuses that I can see for Etete or any striker struggling in cardiff for the last few seasons (apart from max watters...brilliant positionally but missed way too many sitters)

when you put it that way..maybe I was out of order for some on this board

Nope. I'm actually still on the fence for Etete I'm just against the flip flopping of opinion on him in a game where he was clearly given the order to track back and support our 3 man holding midfield.

Are you suggesting he should stray from high emperor lord Bulut's instructions? what should he neglect in order to "adapt" i wonder? I'm guessing if he were to "go rogue" he wouldnt be in the starting lineup next match. Even if he scored a goal...I have seen bulut take off goal scorers minutes after they have scored and not seen again for a few matches.

I hope you are not classifying the 10-15minute cameos as an opportunity? mostly in games where the manager has been desperate or the team is already sitting so deep their mrs's are bringing them their nightly ovaltine into the stands

I agree that a strikers job is to press the opposition's defense. But thats all.. I dont want to see our strikers defending corners or sitting in the wall defending a free kick. I want them waiting on the half way line waiting for a clearance. I want them fresh to press the defense...not wasting their legs running the full lengths of the pitch..why the hell do we have 3 holding midfielders for ?

Thats a bit overly theoretical for me. Do you really believe another striker with such restrictions doing everything Etete is already trying to do would find time to be in the box? Sory Kaba did well last season because he wasnt doing all this tracking back

In the end you may well be right about Etete once given a real chance. I'm just trying to counter balance the arguments in this thread with the very present excuses that I can see for Etete or any striker struggling in cardiff for the last few seasons (apart from max watters...brilliant positionally but missed way too many sitters)
    Given that he’s already played numerous games for us, must be at least the equivalent of a full season, What do you consider as a ‘real chance’? In your opinion, how long or how many games are you prepared to give him before the thumbs up or thumbs down?

Pretty sure he's scored in every game he's played the full 90 minutes in this season (that's twice)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    His energy conservation is first class.

Given that he’s already played numerous games for us, must be at least the equivalent of a full season, What do you consider as a ‘real chance’? In your opinion, how long or how many games are you prepared to give him before the thumbs up or thumbs down?
    he's played 2000 minutes at championship level that's the equivalent of 22 games.
    we've seen some decent improvement during that time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Pretty sure he's scored in every game he's played the full 90 minutes in this season (that's twice)
    basically this.

A few scattered minutes here and there when the teams already under the cosh should not count. Also id even say it shouldnt really count when we are sitting so deeply in our penalty area (last few games..)

Didn't Bulut say pre-QPR that he was carrying an injury and that's why his game time is being managed?

I said in the match thread that he needs to take a ‘nastiness’ course. He’s a centre back’s dream opponent, he needs a fortnight’s tutoring with someone like Heider Helgusson, teaching him the art of being an aggressive striker. Centre forwards need to be bullies, unfortunately, he’s the one who’s consistently being bullied.

Lets face facts we are not Chelsea, we can't afford to hoard players.

Hypothetically, if we put him on the transfer list in the summer how much for and what division would he end up in?