+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Etete today

Re: Etete today

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Now that's an interesting take. Lots dont.
    Then I’d assume they are not very good forwards!!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Then I’d assume they are not very good forwards!!
    So a forward who is adept at finding space to get on the end of crosses, corners, passes, cutbacks etc and scores lots from those positions but won't take a penalty isn't a good forward?

On that note, goodnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So a forward who is adept at finding space to get on the end of crosses, corners, passes, cutbacks etc and scores lots from those positions but won't take a penalty isn't a good forward?

On that note, goodnight.
    Name me these players who have the confidence to score loads of the types of goals you mention but doesn’t have the confidence to take a penalty? You said there was loads so you must have some list.

International

If you haven’t got confidence to take a free shot from 12 yards, just you versus the goalkeeper, then you shouldn’t be playing as a forward. That’s why the best forwards are usually on penalties.

Look at Salah earlier this week missed one v Newcastle then shrugs it off and scores another one later in the game. Not a chance anyone else was taking it even though I have no doubt the likes of TAA and others have the technical ability to take them. All good forwards need to have that single minded confidence.
    I agree they only need to perfect six to eight spots, vary them walk up and smack it, if it's hard enough and close enough to the corner they are unsavable. I think they all should have the technique it comes down to handling the pressure and ignoring everything else around them, like the best professional golfers can do when they take a game-winning putt.

Some footballers can do that, most of ours obviously can't but they can work with sports physiologists and improve it, there has to be someone, but it may not be a Striker.

International

These short run-ups are terrible too, trying to fool the keepers they just fool themselves.

If they are decided before the game how come we had two different penalty takers? You really think with a cobbled together rotated side two different penalty takers were chosen before the game ? Lol

If the nominated penalty taker didn’t fancy the second pen I’d expect a forward who hasn’t scored for 3 months to be demanding to take it
    I've no idea how these things are decided but everyone seemed to know who was taking the second one. When Etete gets brought down he's still on his backside looking at the ref while Robinson is sprinting over from the left wing to pick up the ball, which had rolled over the byline. Robinson marches to the spot with it while Wintle goes straight to Etete (presumably to congratulate him) and then walks away. There doesn't seem to be any confusion among the City players about whose penalty it was.

Seems a bit harsh to criticise Etete without knowing all the details. How do we know if he doesn't fancy it or if he wants to take one but is getting overruled behind the scenes? It's a sorry sight when players are wrestling for the ball before a penalty, I'd like to think City have got this side of things sorted. Even if the actual taking of them is still a work in progress.

I take your wider point about strikers and penalties when it comes to a shoot-out but I think it's a bit more complex than that during a game. Here's a list of the six who got to a hundred Premier League goals without scoring a penalty, probably a different reason for each of them.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/appr...ing-a-penalty/

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've no idea how these things are decided but everyone seemed to know who was taking the second one. When Etete gets brought down he's still on his backside looking at the ref while Robinson is sprinting over from the left wing to pick up the ball, which had rolled over the byline. Robinson marches to the spot with it while Wintle goes straight to Etete (presumably to congratulate him) and then walks away. There doesn't seem to be any confusion among the City players about whose penalty it was.

Seems a bit harsh to criticise Etete without knowing all the details. How do we know if he doesn't fancy it or if he wants to take one but is getting overruled behind the scenes? It's a sorry sight when players are wrestling for the ball before a penalty, I'd like to think City have got this side of things sorted. Even if the actual taking of them is still a work in progress.

I take your wider point about strikers and penalties when it comes to a shoot-out but I think it's a bit more complex than that during a game. Here's a list of the six who got to a hundred Premier League goals without scoring a penalty, probably a different reason for each of them.

https://thefootballfaithful.com/appr...ing-a-penalty/

I like your ‘kind’ assessment, ‘taking them is a work in progress’. It’s a pelanty, hardly a 17 year old being gradually blooded

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I like your ‘kind’ assessment, ‘taking them is a work in progress’. It’s a pelanty, hardly a 17 year old being gradually blooded
    It seems to be a long term project for us.